"A+" BMS Balance wiring pics "onlyish". (Seperate thread for only balance wiring criticism/bad examples/questions)

You guys are f*cking artists. Curious, who’s using crimp-terminals, and what type of crimper tools? Crimpin’ ain’t easy, and pull-out testing is important. I bought a couple of sets of AMP crimp tools off eBay, and the cable ALWAYS breaks before the terminal pulls out. Is anyone else out there as obsessed with crimp tools as I am?

4 Likes

4 Likes

Huh?

Edit - I use the Engineer PA-09

2 Likes

A properly crimped terminal will be gas-tight. Aerospace grade crimp tools will cold-weld the strands and terminal into a solid piece. The two ways to test for this is to cut a cross-section and inspect with microscope / magnifying glass, and to pull the terminal and wire apart to see which breaks. If done correctly, the wire will always break before the terminal comes apart. At least that’s what I’ve read (a lot):slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: this is the way to minimize resistance between connections, whereas solder adds resistance.

Edit Edit: I should say, this is definitely a rabbit hole subject. Proceed with caution lol. The tools I’m referring to are insanely expensive when new and calibrated. Once they’ve been used for x amount of time they are no longer considered serviceable tools so you can find them for cheap on eBay. They still work incredibly well usually

3 Likes

I like to see wires get proper strain retention and glue, crimps and solder alone can only take so much on smaller wires.
Dang this is not a battery, well lets pretend.

2 Likes

That brick pack routing is sick man… good job.

2 Likes

Nobody likes a show off Al… outside of this community anyway. :joy: great stuff mate.

I guess this is probably a good place to drop this off.

16 Likes

9 Likes

15 Likes

smooth lines

11 Likes

9 Likes

12 Likes

This thread could use a bump! I’ll bump it first and upload my own in a bit :face_holding_back_tears:

3 Likes

5 Likes

6 Likes

4 Likes

Recently i’ve been enjoying using double sided foam tape to lay down the balance wires. Makes it super easy and quick to get them laid nice and straight, and then a bit of fibre tape over the top to lock them down.

The other trick i’ve really been enjoying is crossing all of the balance wires BEFORE they reach the pack, so there is no need to cross/insulate on the pack.

Will get a couple of photos tomorrow

7 Likes

3 Likes

For me this is part of the planing of the pack and the difference between a good pack and A+ pack that this thread is about.

The crossings Is not the bad part it’s the you need to remove the mecanical preset that is applied on the point because it’s sticks out this is what will degrade the insulation exspecaly if it’s pvc that softens and low temp and becomes malleable reducing is IR.

We talking about things above most battery manufacture common practises not the end of the world if you need to just a case of been aware of what you compromising on. Also I’ve not realy dabled in fussing balance leads witch is on the same lvl of battery assembly.

You using heal/fire resistance foam tape?

2 Likes