90 amps continuous through an XT-150 connector?

Seeing as how 6 awg cable is only good for 50 or so amps (edit: correction- 101 amps as stranded wire). How can we get more current than that through an XT-150 connector? Perhaps this is a solution?

1/4" braided copper ground strapping is good for 30 amps x 3 = 90 amps. The inside of the connector is exactly 1/4", so they fit inside nicely. Does anyone see any problems with this?

5 Likes

You’d have to heat shrink the while wire I imagine.

3 Likes

Yes.

2 Likes

6awg is good for 100A continuous without issue…200A runs hot but workable

4 Likes

Looks good for sure can carry watts.

I’m not sure it’s needed in the vast majority of boards though. 10awg gets people by fine usually. We’re not running meters ofbattery leads.

4 Likes

Oh… we’re not?

5 Likes

It is? Look at the various wire codes, I see 50 and 55 amps, and 75 amps at 90c degrees.

Sure feels like it sometimes though huh lol. I could trim mine down…

3 Likes

3 Likes

7 Likes

Are you sure that’s a multistranded wires chart?
Seems like stats for solid single stranded cables

2 Likes

You’re right, 101 amps as stranded wire.

I had no idea stranded wire could carry almost double the current of solid core. That’s just ridiculous that something with less mass can carry more current. The skin effect of electricity, I guess.

6awg cable is almost impossible to get into an XT-150 connector, so there’s that. I needed a low profile battery cable.

4 Likes

I wonder if I’m interfering with the skin effect by laying them on top of one another like that?

edit: after thinking about it a bit more, no way. Stranded wires wouldn’t be able to carry more current if that were true.

how about using 8mm bullets
use them for coupling 2x10awg

and then there’s the QS10, utilizing 10mm bullets, 400A rated and antispark
https://www.maxamps.com/qs10-anti-spark-male-female-connector-pair

9 Likes

For big wires that dont fit into small holes, i like to tin the end of the wire and then carve it down to size with a dremel :+1:

8 Likes

I use wire cutters and cut them to 10awg but strip the sheathing a little farther back so I can get solder to all strands

I must confess I do this too. Have been known to spread the cup a tad too and split the hole types. I done all the bad things.

3 Likes

Wow, that’s like the OSE 8mm Anti Spark Connector, but freaking 10mm’s, 400 amps…

1 Like

That chart is for AC usage and for long runs of wire inside buildings.

DC usage is totally different, and short, sub-meter runs of wire are also totally different.

1 Like