80100 controller/ESC?

I’m not sure officially… I just texted him lol

1 Like

Lol @Kaly is this a thing? Can we buy a deck and enclosure from you?

https://www.kaly.nyc/

I use trampa vesc 6’s with extra heatsinks for my dual 80100 motors, without heatsink the vescs reached about 85°C, never goes over 50°C after I installed the heatsinks, running 90 battery amps and 140 motor amps per vesc.

I have a hard time believing you will ever be able to max out 4x 80100 motors even If the battery can supply the proper amps. Even at 100A each you’ll hit about 20 000 watts, well a bit less due to sag but still. With a top speed of 60kph I’m not really seeing the benefits here compared to 4x 63xx motors, you will notice a very big increase in energy consumption with 4 of theese behemoths

6 Likes

What are the dimensions of your heatsink(s)? Thanks

I mounted both my vescs on a 4mm thick aluminium plate, something like 150mm x 100mm if I remember correctly, exposed to airflow of course.

1 Like

I am going up to NYC this week. Ernesto has some beauties I am hoping to pick up ready to skin!

3 Likes

Ok, nice. The board I am building uses a 159x100mm aluminum heatsink (I think the fins are 2mm). So I got a rough idea now what that will be capable of.

This is a good point which makes me feel a bit better about using focboxes as opposed to vesc 6 platforms.

My goal isn’t speed, it’s extreme low end torque and acceleration

I see where you coming from, this is why I went with the 80100’s aswell. In a dual motor config they definitely do make a difference, it’s not a huge difference though. I reach top speed in a blink of an eye so I’m simply worried that you wont be able to utilize more torque with 4 motors.

Now lets say you would rock a 18S battery and comfortably cruise at speeds of 60 mph+ then you would definitely benefit compared to a 2wd or 4x 63xx, but this a rather silly scenario of course.

Anyways it’s an interesting project, I’m very curious what effect you will be able to reach in reality. Be ready for a 40wh/km energy consumption though (dude guessing).

1 Like

I use APS 80100 130 kv with Flipsky Dual FSESC 6.6. No overheating. No problem so far.

Decks, enclosure and flex pcb will be available by spring

5 Likes

What settings are you running through the 6.6?

Can you post some logs? Kinda had the exact same Idea. But now i’m thinking more about 180KV.

1 Like

Motor Current Max : 120,00 A
Motor Current Max Brake : -120,00 A
Absolute Maximum Current : 250,00 A

Battery Current Max : 120,00 A
Battery Current Max Regen : -120,00 A

Metr log data :

I forgot to launch recording at startup, so it’s just the second half of the ride session.

I also mistaken the lipos and took the 12S 12Ah 15C instead of the 12S 6Ah 75C, so I was more gentle with the trigger.

For me it’s no use choosing 180kv instead of 130kv unless you can provide more than 120A, and for 120A 130kv should give you more torque than 180kv.

2 Likes

Wow, 75V

Thanks for the log. I just don’t get the point of using 80100 motors with 120A. You are not max out even 6380 motors with that current.

1 Like

The biggest issue is getting the torque transferred to the ground. 6380 already makes the wheels spin on dirt tracks, even using the wide 9" Mud Plugger tires. On extended uphill runs the 80mm size would stay cooler which is an advantage. However, even the 6380 size has proven to be capable of going up the steepest hill in the world without a lot of heating… For me weight is always a concern and it is pointless to ad heavier motors without seeing huge benefits in performance.

5 Likes

That’s true I’ve never reached 90A with 80100. But, based on what I feel, 2WD 80100 motors give expected power.

With my FSESC 6.6 DUAL, when accelerating from stop on dirt and high grass, 80100 motors will allow you to drift. In the same situation, 6374 motors will barely let you move, slowly. Yet, ROXXY BL Control 9120 ESCs with SK3 6374 192kv feel almost as powerfull as 80100 motors with FSESC 6.6 DUAL. So, maybe it’s just the way VESC software handle power. Problem with ROXXY ESC is that it sometimes catches fire. Nobody’s perfect.

True but I feel weight differently depending on the deck. Such rear heavy motors with the MBS Pro 97 DW2 would be a knee killer. With a TRAMPA 15-16 ply maybe it would be too instable (but fun) because of the flex. With old MBS Pro 100 that is long, light and flexy but not that much it’s perfect.

1 Like

There’s always Castle Creations or HW Max6 ESCs, but then you’re running uncensored. They don’t catch fire either.

3 Likes