80100 controller/ESC?

Yeah I read about your build man, congrats I never thought you’d be able to turn :joy:, looks like the best implementation of single motor dual drive on the forum I do believe.

1 Like

Thanks. I don’t say that this is the way to go in general, but I think it would be the only reasonable way to fit this motor to a normal board :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Torque is only a problem until you lose traction, but the weight would be so great, why save a couple of grams with motor mounts anyway?

1 Like

It is for street urethane boards. You can get a lot out of dual 50xx motors already.

2 Likes

Sure. But the view seems to be constantly shifting in what is to be considered too large or too powerful. Don’t you think?

2 Likes

There is never a too big especially if people want to compensate something with it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:
And that words coming from somebody who built a quad with 8085s… :man_shrugging::joy:

6 Likes

IMO bigger than dual 6374 to 6384ish becomes too impractical for an everyday board. There are a myriad other use cases though.

2 Likes

Everyday in the sense of a commuter and a street board, then I will agree.
But for MTBs that are there just for fun and to shred hilly forests I feel like (don’t have practical experience though) the gap between 63xx and 80xx(x) is a bit large, isn’t it? The former all seem to have a rated current of around 60 which is quite a difference to 150-200A of an 80100. Even though no one will run them at 200A and in my experience the stator won’t handle anything close to that. But still 130A is more than double the current of a 63xx motor. So I am missing a middle ground, a motor that can take like 100A and 5kw. That would sit between the 3-3.5kw and 7kw.

Or am I completely off here?

2 Likes

There is a 63100 which comes close to the APS 8085 or leopard 8072 motors which again not too far off from 80100.
I do not think there is a big gap between 63xx and 80xxx motors which would need to be filled.

Ok, it’s 4400w apparently. I only found Saite. They say 120A max, but Maytech claims for their 6396, 6880 and 8085 a max current of 80, 65 and 90 which is quite a suspicious gap to Saites 120A. That’s why I am a bit confused.

I wouldn’t give so much about Amp ratings.
APS rate there 8085s for 150A and I’m sure if you would run them at this current constant you would meld the winding isolation.
Besides this I do not understand how same motors with different kV (means different thickness of windings) can have the same current ratings. I haven’t seen that in maytech or APS motor specs, but leopard motors for example rated different for different kV.
I think the motor Amp ratings are like lipo C ratings. Some are close, others just marketing.

4 Likes

I am curious, if you would build a new MTB today, what motors would you choose? And 2WD or 4WD? :thinking:

I’m planning to build a 2WD with a dual 8055 for this summer (maybe 13S in BLDC which perfoms 100x better than FOC for AT racing) :+1:
But I was wondering if anybody tested a 2WD with on single 80100 with dual-side shaft ?

Like this one from Flipsky :

The future VESC 100/150 would be a perfect match for this setup !

1 Like

2WD 6384 is where I feel comfortable.
Not too heavy but still plenty of torque and gets you more range than going bigger motors.
That is my personal preference thou as it fits to the terrain I usually drive in and my riding style. Doesn’t mean it would be ideal for others thou.

1 Like

@Benjo did :wink:
@Pimousse
"Lone Warrior" | Trampa HS11 | 80100 Single Motor 2WD | Arc200 | E-TOXX Chaindrive

1 Like

The shaft is way too short (it’s long, but still too short). You need to replace it :smile:

Ok, thanks. I can’t help but already think about what I will do after the current board. Dual 80100 would be natural, or something a bit more efficient but still similarly powerful. I have some time left to think about all this, though :smile:

1 Like

I read out about the turning feeling (only first post sorry).
It seems that it’s quite ok (4m turning radius, that’s quite good !).
Really interesting build, thank you !

1 Like

Yeah, to me it feels like the springs (or barrels currently) are the limiting factor for turning, not the solid axle. I will record some gopro footage soon to demonstrate the capabilities of the drivetrain.

3 Likes

Not to mention the price jump after 6384. Those cans can be had for <$50, whereas 6396, 63100, 8xxx(x) are all $100+ unless you buy 20 or more of them.

2 Likes