7th build, First Street Carver

Awesome man. I was thinking the same thing. I’ve ridden a couple old school wide and flat downhill decks that were making me think this. Now I’m excited to try channel trucks

1 Like

Might have to do that once it stops snowing in April lol, or the very least a group ride.

4 Likes

I feel the same way about mine. on medium shock blocks its an absolute mosquito but still stable at “fast enough” speeds.

3 Likes

High speed carve setup with barrels:

3 Likes

K ever since i saw the title ive been itching to shitpost so here we go, maybe someone more talented can put a spooky skate in the picture

2 Likes

Are you mostly going to be doing road riding?

Honostly MBS complete is pretty solid as the starting point for an entry level build.
Example:
MBS DWII First Impression - ESK8 Builds - Electric Skateboard Builders Forum | Learn How to Build your own E-board (yes evil I know my older builds are still there)

If you want to make it rain haero and 3ds finality is really nice combo
Example:

Deck wise Haero really stand out on top. I tried colab, trampa, mbs and still like haero the most.
I still have a full trampa build though for the days when I want something lighter / livelier. Daily rider is haero. If i can only pick one deck and I had no budget issue its hearo. But as you can see I wound up just buying them all and hoarding them :stuck_out_tongue:

Pick for deck comparision. The trampa deck is a carver not the fullsize deck.

4 Likes

Got the flux deck… I’ll be mostly on street. I’m excited, even more so because I’ve basically halved my assembly process with that combo.

I’ll try a Haero deck at some point. Gotta get my feet wet with off road first.

Now the question of trucks

MBS trucks should be in stock tomorrow. But I’m seeing a lot of new trucks here in development so I don’t know. Need something stable up to 40mph. Hypertrucks were on the list but I don’t see much info about higher speed setups.

Also thanks for the recommendations :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do love me some matrix trucks.

Not a lot of people zooming them up to 40 though. I’d run orange bushings front and red rear if you go that route. Yellow/orange is great for carving and is my normal setup but it should probably be tighter for speed runs.

1 Like

Pretty sure I can dial in M2s for speed. @Skyart is topping 40 on them. I’m on the fence though, do I want to go with some trucks developed specifically for eskate/mounts?

If you have the budget, I’d say get something bespoke to esk8.

Considered I managed to hit 38 on old school kaly running on trampa trucks with spring only setup in the front I think you can probably do 40 on pretty much all the setup. You’d be better off with a more traditional setup vs mtb if you are chasing speed though. Its like can you carve a steak with a chain saw, ya… you technically could but probably not the best tool for it.

Hypertrucks and 3ds fatboy 320 are probably on the top of the list. They are widest of the bunch and they both run on thane blocks and have good manufacturing precision.

2 Likes

MBS sold out basically immediately yesterday, that was pretty lame. So I guess it’s between the Hypertrucks package or an Apex truck setup (but I’d have to still source GD’s, Hubs and tires/tubes).

TBH I like what I’m seeing from the Apex trucks.

1 Like

So all the stuff on their site that was sold out, they got in like 2 units of everything and sold back out?

1 Like

pretty sure MBS have crates… on a ship that toppled, on a train that derailed, one got “lost” in customs and maybe one got zapped by aliens :rofl: I feel kinda sorry for them. They got good demand but have zero luck with logistic it seems.

4 Likes

Gotta plug @3DServisas a little here :stuck_out_tongue:
I run these now, the fatboy320 version. Love the trucks and the drive… Since you are talking about hyper trucks you aren’t going el cheapo.
Finality AT Gear Drive – 3DServisas

1 Like

Things have been purchased and stuffs put together.

I will say that I don’t really enjoy building batteries. I did some extra (probably unnecessary) steps to make it look nice and safe in case I wanna sell it in the future but that took way too long. This one is a 12s7p p42a pack. Almost bought a bunch of p26a’s when I realized the enclosure wasn’t exactly deep enough for 21700’s in staggered stack. Definitely glad I didn’t do that, the thick foam gasket should be enough. I did however have to source 24 more p42a’s which was a bit tricky since no one has them.

Left enough slack on the balance wires in case I want to switch to a smart bms later.

Went for Hypertrucks. Value seems to be there and the machining/finish quality of the parts is pretty nice. I’m expecting a little learning curve to these and hoping I can eventually tune them to be safe at higher speeds above 30 (gonna need some input there lol).

Here’s the kit:

also came with these for a Gopro or lights etc

Still undecided (throw suggestions if you got em):

-Remote, have a VX2 but looking and waiting for something safer/nicer.

-Data logging, I’ve never really dove into this but I need to. I wanna see the numbers on this board but I haven’t used my Metr pro in a while and it won’t update.

-Speed Profiles, maybe if the integrated bluetooth in the Ubox will connect to the Vesc mobile app I can get this going. Otherwise an all in one solution for logging and adjustments would be very nice

-Anti-spark, I want to keep this build clean so using the integrated AS is preferred. Just don’t know if I should incorporate some other protection for the battery.

5 Likes

Some updates:

Decided to swap out the Ubox (1st gen) for a 60D+, might save that for an ebike. Installed some Ant Innovation 63100s. Went with these because they have the 30mm hole mount. Not sure if I regret these yet.

First ride delivers on a few things I was hoping for. Hypertrucks first impressions are good. I spent a little time setting them up and s̶w̶a̶p̶p̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶s̶t̶i̶c̶ ̶b̶u̶s̶h̶i̶n̶g̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶b̶r̶o̶n̶z̶e̶ (just buy spare bushings from Igus). They seem nice and stable up to top speed on this setup (around 33mph). Decently lively too, I think I could go one step down in durometer and still be stable. Motors deliver on power and the ride is very plush. I’m already liking the accessibility this board is offering to new places.

It’s got wobbles pretty bad though so I’ll need to fix that before any mileage. It’s got Kenda 200x50’s mounted and I think I got an oblong tire on the rear left.

5 Likes

That tires 100% dunzo, sorry man I dont see you being able to balance out anything that bad with tire weights. Let us know if/when anything happens with the ant innov 63100s.

2 Likes

I switched out the Kenda tires for Clever 200x50 from Amazon. Less wobbles now, but still needs balancing. Bummer I can’t use the Kendas the tread was a little thicker/nicer.

Is it common to go through a bunch of wheels to get a good set? :sweat_smile:

In other news, The 63100 motors are working fine after about 50 miles. They do get pretty warm and I haven’t really been pushing them much yet. I’ll check back on this when I can actually ride the board properly.

And on that note, these Hypertrucks def have a learning curve. Feel like I have to commit with speed to maintain a turn. Occasionally I’ll lean into a turn and get no response. Had to run off the board once for that. I wanna have quick and agile carving like I have on my other boards tuned with normal DH trucks.

2 Likes

I wonder if these would have much of an impact on your turning ability.

I have never tried the Hyper Trucks.
I have Matrix II.
and sometimes, they scare me…
both ways.

as in I can’t turn as much as i want to…
and sometimes it dips harder than I was expecting…

it is weird… still my favorite.

2 Likes