6389 x 8 | quad unity/stormity | 12s/18s tattu | RedEmber 44

M4 fasteners are only engaged in threads by 3mm. Indeed, on the fire motor detection incident, they were too deep (but not by much).

I got a so-so look at the underlying coils and wire. No brunt coils. Enamel appeared intact, couldn’t judge if coils were mared or dented.

I did see an imprint of a fastener bottom molded into the heat shrink on sensor wires that run just below one of the mount holes.

Per my post 10 days earlier and with @b264 in mind, I measured the AC voltage across the phase wires while measuring a near constant RPM, I got consistent values. YouTube told me this means there are no phase to phase (turn to turn) shorts and enamel insulation appears ok at low speeds (400)

I poked around for ground shorts between the coils/phase wires and stator laminations/shaft/can.

I squirted conformal acrylic in the bottom of the mount holes (MG chem #419D).

I’m not worried about the excess locking my fasteners in, shit will buff out.

I didn’t not do motor detection until the acrylic was dry.

Not sure if deets help anyone. There is only one spot that would make me second guess trying to set an average Amp pull record. Maybe I’ll get a cheap megger and properly test ground insulation. @MoeStooge your a high voltage guy, have one in your brief case? :man_shrugging:

Oh well, thanks for technical comments. On ward!

8 Likes

Should we maybe be running low-pass toroidal filter in these anyway? Not sure it’ll help with the EMF if it’s coming straight through the can, but with industrial motor drive systems, we do, to avoid this sort of thing, on the wires from the motor to the controller.

Admittedly this is something at the edge of my EE knowledge, but wondering if it applies here.

1 Like

Honestly I couldn’t tell you, I don’t know enough about how the ESC detects to know what noise the adjacent motors generate or how to negate it

2 Likes

I know with larger industrial motors and the speed controllers, it wasn’t as much an issue with analog or logic based circuits but with more complex, digital controllers, and with the various automation equipment connected around, it’s become a thing, and the low pass filters seem to do the trick, as it’s the high frequency EMF that plays hell with everything, although I don’t know if it’s much with BLDC motors compared to AC induction motors, although I think it applies to all, but the filter chokes may be different.

Here’s an example of some: https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/power_products_(electrical)/power_line_filters/ferrite_toroids

It’s something I’ve been curious about with our ESCs, since I know at least with VFDs, the high frequency noise can not only cause operation errors, but also do damage to the drive as well long term. I’m guessing this is prob something we need to ask someone that knows more than us though, maybe BV?

1 Like

Here’s a sort of layman’s video on the topic related to drive control, from a YTer I like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84aKURxohlg

2 Likes

@Arzamenable Maybe this is an unacceptable suggestion, seeing as the whole purpose of this board is to use 8 motors, but maybe 4 BIG motors might be a better way to go? Maybe you could do something @b264 's bigfoot build where you give each unity just one big motor to control thus doubling power output without needing to deal with 8 motors. You’d probably use bigger motors than he did on that build, but since you are already having to deal with custom motor mounts maybe it could end up saving some headache? This is just a though, but motors like this 147x55mm one come to mind… I guess the main downside is you have to buy more motors so this probably isn’t reasonable…

2 Likes

I think the whole point of this build is the creativity and engineering of doing something that has never been done before (afaik), rather than the power that comes with 8WD because we’ve all seen super expensive 4WD 63100 builds before (thanks @Skyart @ahrav)

11 Likes

unnamed (23)

13 Likes

lol yea i figured as much - honestly I’m just super excited about the engineering aspect too so I’m bound to throw my ideas into the ring sometimes. (even if they are not good ones…)

2 Likes

@Cyanoacrylate as far as performance goes, you’re exactly right. mods, freeze this thread until after 30 Jan, bc It’s time for supersingle x4.

::BarrettJunction has entered the Chat::

@ARZ @glyphiks 100% (:shushing_face:, 4 unitys in one enclosure is literally the next few posts here, except now featuring @b264 firmware)

Got things to make. Also, if a motherfucker or two in SoCal and Arizona could wear a mask, that would free up some build time. I’ll pipe down now.

10 Likes

Also very cool :sunglasses:

6 Likes

I’m super single x 1000. Suck it Barret. . .

3 Likes

I gotta come down sometime and see this holy shit lol

Won’t you be running into motor thermal throttling before it’s worth running super single?

I have just stumbled onto this thread and I am now fucking terrified of @Arzamenable and what he is capable of. 8 fucking motors?!

3 Likes

If he’s able to use that much power without towing a truck, I’d be shocked. There’s only so much power you can use before you topple off the board LoL.z

2 Likes

I’d be cool to see if you could burn out all 4 wheels on command, though. That would be a BEAST. You could beat a lot of muscle cars over short runs, like 100m

3 Likes

I thought MayTech 6396 ran really hot, I would imagine TB100 and similar is the motor for super single?

1 Like

Agreed, he will probably need some sticky carting tyres to get enough grip to use all that power.

4 Likes

Is love to see a drag optimized build. Huge dual drive, probably really long, grab handle on the front, Big tyres on the back.

6 Likes