4WD VS 2WD question..

4wd would have done nothing. bindings and more confident riding would have helped. a PROPER 2wd emtb will tackle 90% of stuff you’ll throw at it.

4 Likes

@solice77 are you attached to building it yourself DIY ?
or
Would you prefer jumping right into a properly built 4WD ?

3 Likes

here it is

That’s exactly what I want. Glad I went with 4wd

Even though front wheel spins,4wd would be able to crawl more hills that 2wd

Should I quickly change to 4 6374s instead of 4 6354s before Flipsky ships my stuff? It is just $50 more for the change. And 1.6kg of weight more

Also, I didn’t check but I hope the 4.2s have traction control

1 Like

I’m definitely attached, in 10 years I’ll look back and appreciate how good my board is then compared to the shit I built today, if I’m still around

But why are you asking?

1 Like

Did you hear the guy in the video or you just seed 4wd and stopped listening again? Trampa boards already can climb anything and he shows that. He even compares taking that hill with some speed vs crawling in 4wd and he shows how much harder to maneuver it is

3 Likes

i remember seeing a russian youtube channel that has a guy with 2wd climbing a steep slope from a standstill, still made it up no problem :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

I climb bike ramps without a stress and i’m geared for 78km/hr. There was also a guy in my area with a short range trampa doing a almost 100% (45°) incline with a bit of picked up speed, all in 2wd

1 Like

Well I guess the steeper the slope the less traction of the front wheels since it’s harder to put pressure on front foot.

What I think is a good advantage of 4wd is actually braking not climbing. My thoughts are that it really matters once you need to go down that hill

2 Likes

legit those hills they went up they did on a 2wd, even I’ve been up steeper hills on 2wd. vesc 4.2s will blow up on an emtb

2 Likes

I just posted one of my 4WD boards in the “Completes for Sale” thread.

I am in a less is more phase of life and perhaps that could get you on a properly built reliable board faster as spring is rapidly approaching.

1 Like

sounds like you hear 2wd and you stop listening, he says it was easier with 4wd, and the fact of the matter is that it is. It’s just physics man

I think you guys are missing the point. I am not saying 2wd can’t climb stuff, but 4wd will climb more stuff that 2wd can’t, it’s just 2 and 2, and obviously true, if you have 4 wheels doing work vs just 2 you can do more stuff, all else equal

what if the load is distributed on 4 of them?

Thank you I appreciate the looking out. It’s over my budget and already placed an order unfortunately

1 Like

yeah balance could be the limiting factor as many have said, not the board

better braking is a plus for sure

That’s the important point. With your setup it’s not equal.
If you have the extra money you can go the extra way to go 4wd. But you should never go 4wd if your money is barely enough for a good 2WD. In a Drag race a strong 2wd boards will still beat your 4x flipsky 4.20 setup

Nobody says 4wd is worse than 2wd but crap 4wd is worse than good 2wd.

5 Likes

well the only thing that worries me is the 4.2s at this point, but we’ll see

And the Trucks with bad stability and the open belt drive that gets dirty and destroys belts and the not so great deck…

6 Likes

You are not necessarily correct here. As far as raw power goes, the trampa 2wd can probably push just as much as your shitty vescs can in 4wd. Not to mention, the steeper the hill, the less traction you have at the front. When the front spins out, you are at about half the power of the 2wd trampa (considering how many amps those cheap vescs can realistically do contionously without blowing up or hitting thermal throttle). The steeper the hill, the more likely the front will loose traction, especially offroad. Also the front spinning out can be enough of a problem, if you have good control over the board (see: good truck, deck, bindings). With the wobbly chinesium trucks you will likely eat the ground because of a wobble, or just lack of control when you most need it (for example over a really bad bump or when you loose traction).

Also the cheap trucks will make your board feel awful to ride at all times. Those are not good for anything. I just don’t understand why you gone that route. It makes zero sense.

You would have a much better board if you were to follow the advice that everyone gives you. You don’t have to make the same mistakes that some already made. 9 inch tires, dual 6374-6384, high quality vescs, good trucks and a good deck. Not to mention gear drives might fit in a 2wd budget so you don’t snap those belts all the time when there is mud or snow. You will be able to climb every hill that you throw at the board. If not, you still have the option to go 10 inch. The more I read this thread, the more I think you already made up your mind before asking and just came here expecting we will support you in going the cheap and crap 4wd route. We told you not to go that route, and you just ignored it. Hope you can get the most out of of your board, but I doubt it will be nearly as rewarding experience as a proper 2wd. Rant over.

7 Likes