4WD VS 2WD question..

looking forward to some batt packs showcase

1 Like

Go at least with MBS matrix II trucks…

2 Likes

This wholly depends on what you do to mount that box. Thick bottom plate with recessed screw holes and countersunk screws, combined with another hard plate on top before batteries come in is impossible to fuck up.
That, and cell welding with all batteries standing upright is 10 times harder to mess up as well, since a solid block will not casually snap welds like a under deck flexible pack would.
The bms only prevents the pack from coming out of balance and overcharging. It does not stop any fire hazard at all

1 Like
  1. You can, ride a buddy board 2wd on a group ride with us.
  2. Concerning power, true and not true. It’s always a trade off. really long group rides aren’t fun bc battery weight. But I’m not going to roll 1wd even if it’s potentially the most efficient. A happy medium exists somewhere.
2 Likes

how about that fireproof silicone and fiber glass added to the outside of the battery after shrink-wrapping it?

too late my brotha

Let me know if you’re officially open, it would save me a headache

I looked into the group buy but it was pretty much the same getting it directly from bulkbattery for low quantities

I suppose if you are up for it, I could have the cells shipped to you

That is a good point, yeah. What kind of time frame are you looking at?

Also what enclosure were you looking at, I forgot. Would it be double stacked staggered or double stacked straight?

Very true… I didn’t think about that. I could make the pack flexible and probably will now thanks to your comment.

I

You got a picture of this? I can’t picture it well. But you mean basically sandwiching the battery with thick plates? What about the sides?

1 Like

Hard bottom plate (fibreglass), recessed screw that is normally being pulled

Imagine the sticker is a hard layer of fibreglass again, then the batteries come with some anti vibration padding

On top it can be just another layer of fibreglass with another layer of anti vibration pad

The goal is to not make it catch fire in the first place. Its not like they all explode randomly at some point.

Enclosure has 52 x 17 x 3.5 cm usable space. With the 4 vescs, I figured I could fit a 12s6p 21700 battery in there, which I estimate non-conservatively to be 38x15x3.9. Yeah I probably need to raise my enclosure a bit to fit the height.

It would be double stacked. Each series would be 3 by 3, like ---_ , I am not sure if that is staggered? 6 series by 6 series, lined up in parallel.

And I’d probably want to use 8 or whatever appropriate awg for bridging the series to make it flexible, after reading @Athrx brilliant insight

I already ordered this as well

Was planning to get the Sunko 737g to weld 0.20mm strips as well, and looking into fireproofing it with silicone and fiberglass lol… not sure about that last one

1 Like

You put the scare in me, that’s why, now I am paranoid lol

1 Like

LOL 8awg no bro you probably don’t even need that for the main battery leads.

You could use 2 or 3x 12awg for the series. That’s what I would use anyway.

I think you’re suggesting staggered. I’d have to check after work today how big that battery might be. 12s6p of 21700 is pretty big.

2 Likes

I see, it’s for top mounting it? I thought you were bottom mounting it.

Wouldn’t this create a fire shuriken if it ever caught on fire?

2 Likes

Top mounted box. Cells standing upright, insulated with fishpaper between pgroups, heatshrinked, padded about 7mm each side and 5mm top and bottom. It will never, ever catch on fire. Also, between pgroups you really want 2 or 3 max 12 or 14awg wires. Keep in mind that triple 12awg everywhere will easily be another kg of cable alone, so don’t overdo it as welds remain the point of most resistance anyway

Alright cool, let me know

Good to know lol

By the way, this small loose patch of sand beat this guys 2wd

Wondering if 4wd would have prevented it or not

For sand you need wide tyres. 4wd would just make your front slide too, making the fall worse. Trampa just released a 4wd video. Check out their channel. The only advantage they managed is crawling up hills you would normally think twice about climbing by foot
You will also notice the front spins out, a lot. Not much traction gain

4 Likes

Not at all. The Kenda road tires that come on Lacroixs are essentially slicks, which are great for pavement but won’t handle off road well at all. It’s like trying to go off roading with an F1 car with race slicks. It’s not like the car doesn’t have enough power, it just can’t put the power down because the tires are smooth and just slide above the sand and dirt.

5 Likes