40" Drop Deck TB40

Dang it, was hoping these could be a great option to pick up later on, but if it’s paired with an enclosure then that’s even better :call_me_hand:t3:

2 Likes

Even if they didn’t come from aca, they look identical man. I have a lot of respect for what you’ve done to this industry. I think the influence is clear here though.

Carbon layer on top
Center cut hole
Same basic shape

Again, you could go to aca now and have them make the same deck for you. It’s not illegal. But there’s tons of molds out there, pick something slightly different at least.

Imagine if after all of your work on those DD motors, I came along and made a direct drive motor that looks the same, assembled the same way, and wound the same way. You wouldn’t feel bitter about it?

I just think out of respect for each, vendors shouldn’t release a product that is effectively the same as that someone else is selling, unless said product is open sourced like the VESC.

Fits the enclosures made for the Hummie deck absolutely perfectly
Has the same mold divots in the bottom
Suffers from the same poor final coat milkiness (Which I’m sure Dex will sort)

Hard to tell the difference tbh, still ok though. It’s a catalogue product for sale to the public.

2 Likes

Again, legally it’s ok. He can do what he wants. If this did come from aca, it’s shitty in that John spent a lot of money on protypes to get that milled curve correct.

Just morally, we shouldn’t copy each others designs.

1 Like

John did 2 runs and then failed to produce more. If there had been loads of hummie decks around there would be no market for this one.

The best way to fend off the competition is to be consistent

5 Likes

Does he need Hummies permission to sell a deck built from a different mold?

You are barking up the wrong tree here dude.

I’ve seen the models/protos, it’s wider than aca would/could do because it’s changed to flair out wider at the foot pedals (making overall width greater). We’ve got protos in hand too as we’re testing them. I’ll pull up the build thread.

Still so sure it’s the exact same mold?

10 Likes

Personally I’m super glad to be able to get a low cost deck with ready to mount enclosure combo.

8 Likes

I mean, yes? What am I looking at here that’s different exactly? The Aca mold continues to flare up as well the wider you go.

It’s a generic Shenzhen mold however, I’m sure loads of deck factories have it.

1 Like

So have people got their decks yet…?

4 Likes

We’ve shipped out some/most to the people who wanted it. Most of the rest are pending and waiting on an enclosure or other items.

5 Likes

Exactly, and the TB40 is not from Aca. Point being is that anyone getting upset on @hummieee behalf doesn’t understand how manufacturing works overseas.

8 Likes

So manufacturing works by one person coming up with a design and then everyone else copying it?

There’s dozens of generic longboard molds in china. You don’t have to use the same mold as others.

There’s tons of choices as to how to construct the board. How many other people are selling a deck with a bottom cut like this, with a carbon layer on top? Then you use the same mold, and make the deck much wider than standard, as hummie did also (maybe not as wide, idk your exact dimensions). You had a lot of options, and you choose to make basically every decision the same, besides paint instead of stain and a different pocket size.

I get that china will sell anything you make to anyone who wants it. I get that people copy designs all of the time (look how often apple gets ripped off). I just think that the difference is the eskate community is small and close nite. I think there’s enough options out there for the design decisions that we don’t have to sell a product that is nearly identical to each other.

Someone should get making an integrated deck with a different shape but with the pocket/recess/cutout on the bottom like the Hummie/TB40.

Like maybe that evo/subsonic century kinda deal that everyone likes so much. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

@Tamatoa Dibs.

7 Likes

Aca has a mold like that. It’s been an idea for a while.

I just think if I took a toqure boards motor apart, measured every piece with calibers, re did the cad designs, sent it to china, made the same freaking motors and sold them as “Rocket DDs”, you wouldn’t be happy.

If copying peoples designs is morally ok with everyone else, then I am barking up the wrong tree.

1 Like

You can dibs it when you have a proto ready.

3 Likes

No one can dibs this one then

1 Like

And I think what annoys me more than anything is that you have to talent and funds to make anything you want. Again, I respect what you’ve done for the community and this industry. I just think there should be unspoken rules amongest vendors in this community or things can/will get ugly.

Really? Is it on ther catalog? Because I asked and they said they would need 2500$ for a mold. :joy:

Doesn’t have to be the same exact shape. Could be wildly wider and have different concave.

No thanks, this is how you stifle progression and stagnate the industry.

Copy, improve, change, make new. Do whatever you want because everyone benefits. Products are produced for the end user not for the producer. If someone finds it so damn easy to copy your amazing product you should make a better product or be one step ahead.

9 Likes