3SK8esk8 MTN build begins: A 16s Battle Axe?

That looks sick and I love the adaptation from a regular deck. Someone recently messaged me about a similar project but they hadn’t thought it out this far yet.

I had ESC problems with this project and I haven’t circled back to it yet, so I haven’t had a chance to really test the handling. I have a feeling everything will work out so long as you can dial in the angle of the front truck and rear wheel mount. In your design that should be easy to do. Just print up some custom angle-risers for the front and make sure that the mount for the rear wheel has adjustability built in to the design.

2 Likes

Duuuuuuuude, no. I literally just told the wife that I was done building Mountain boards… Now you remind me of this thread and even show a sweet design.

2 Likes

Dang…now imagine 2 of those motors on there one front, one back…and we have something really special :sunglasses:…although this looks super sweet already

2 Likes

At that point we’re building a fat-tire Speedboard, yeah? Was trying to avoid having to turn the large drive wheel as it’ll make the swingarm mechanism much more complex/prone to breaking, so I’m hesitant at the thought having an assembly like that on both front/rear.

One of my design goals was minimizing the number of parts used in the suspension assembly.

1 Like

I’d love to see a three-wheeler done with that fatty hub motor. I think it would work well.

1 Like

Guilty as charged.

Yeah, unfortunately I am a total noob in all this.
I would like to build something like a motocross-3esk8.
I wanted to try taking a trampa board, the rear from a boyueda 5600 scooter (mounted onto the board with a custom adapter) and a Baja board front truck (fixed to the board using another custom adapter) with one of the hub motor wheels from the scooter on either side.
The main issue I have is motor control. I thought about using the motor control from the Baja but I am not sure how well that would work. Or how at all for that matter lol.

Obviously there would be other things like the battery as well, but those shouldn’t be too much of an issue I think
The main issue I have

1 Like

I am the worst enabler of myself.

10 Likes

Is there anywhere to get those state side?

1 Like

Nay, I paid in Bitcoin and got it air shipped from FloatWheel. Showed up in a week.

5 Likes

I can only assume that the price was gross - least its been gross each time I’ve looked.

1 Like

I think the entire purchase was about $185 USD to my door- honestly not that bad for the size/weight. Air shipping option was $40 of that, I think the Floatwheel components were/are on sale.

3 Likes

Oh I didn’t know they took crypto. Game changer.

1 Like

I actually paid directly from my coinbase wallet in their checkout- pretty slick.

4 Likes

What’s the voltage on that one?

If you think about how much a set of gear-drives, motors, trucks and such cost nowadays, $185 is a steal. AND you only need a single VESC. The wild-card is the expense of the wheel-mount. @DerelictRobot Have you looked into that yet?

3 Likes

staaaaaahp justifying this to me. Literally just bought a new motorcycle I really cant be spending money right now.

2 Likes

I’m still working on the design, trying to get it down to 3 machined frame pieces + bolts/bearings/spring damp.

But yeah it’ll be expensive given the amount of material + machining needed. Probably brings it back to to a dual geardrive drivetrain in price.

2 Likes

Why not make a steel pipe frame? Will look the tits too.

3 Likes

You could go Power Traverse style and combine the mounting and suspension into one resin printed fancy part!

seems to be working so well for him :thinking:

I would actually use some carbon fiber for that idea but you get the point.

1 Like

This is one of two designs I have been going between atm, I just have a lot less experience designing for formed steel pipe so double-checking on some mechanical details with a local bike building friend.

Definitely would be the better route for production should the design work out.

2 Likes