3SK8esk8 MTN build begins: A 16s Battle Axe?

Sorry for the delay. I promise to get back to this. Here is what I learned this far. I suck at programming really fancy ESCs. The one I have is more complicated than a standard VESC 6. Working with the guys that made it, I was able to get rolling but not optimally. The 1600w motor went dangerously fast on concrete, but could hardly get rolling on dirt. This could definitely be something that might be fixed with better programming. I haven’t tested the 3600w motor.

Does anybody know of an ESC that might work with this other than MakerX’s imaginary product? I haven’t really checked in a while.

When I get back to 3sk8 design, one of my first projects will be to make a really durable bracket for the axle. There is a lot of torque at the axle. On my street decks the axle wears at the bracket and with time it spins free. I’ve been using basic steel that can be found at any hardware store. It isn’t that durable. I’d like to do a CAD rendering to send off to a machinist, so that I can have it milled from some invincible shit. This is going to be very important for AT success. Most scooter hubs use the same universal axle as ebike hubs. So one bracket would work for many wheels.

1 Like

StormCore maybe?

3 Likes

This 16s compatible ESC based on VESC recently popped up at ebmakers.com. There is a 200A version and a 100A version. The 100A version might be a perfect match for the 3200w motor and at $195 it isn’t absurdly priced.

https://makerx-tech.com/collections/x-esc/products/go-foc-hi200-hi100-75v-200a-esc-based-on-vesc-accepting-order?variant=31793176510577

Maybe it’s time to get back to this project. The deck will be a breeze. Integrated with interior room for a multitude of cells. The brackets are something that I need some help from people on the forum that have metal working and machining knowledge. I can make the CAD rendering and a prototype form soft materials, but the bracket really needs to be machined from some serious shit. There is a ton of torque happening at the axle and if the material is too soft, the axle will spin free with time.

1 Like

it was a pre order before or something right?

Haven’t seen it tested.

1 Like

This one is different. They still have the pre-order 200A VESC6 listed as sold-out on the site. I haven’t seen this one yet. This one is available. The 200A version ships now. The 100A version ships in a week.

1 Like

See detailed post here ==> MakerX Go-FOC HI200 75V 200A ESC Base on 75300

2 Likes

The 100A is kind of exciting. If that esc were to work, a person could put together a robust motor/drive-system and ESC for $450 delivered.

I’m going to make a custom battery for the upcoming version of this. The one I used was a bit of a mystery. I don’t think that it had enough nickle strip to carry the amps.

Whatcha been making your batteries with?

It was an alibaba battery. I’d like to make something with a magical 21700 cell. Anybody have any suggestions? It’s a 60v 3200w set-up.

A P42A pack? A 16s2p pack would have the power for it

I bet I could make a deck that could hold a few more cells than that. It would be nice to have the batteries in the core of the deck. The giant pelican case felt wonky, but it was also a 16s5p.

16s5p P42A is a 12.9kW pack…

You can also run a split pack, maybe 16s3p in the deck and a 16s2p on the top that can be removed? It would be easier to handle and assemble at least

The cells were 18650. The capacity was 21000 Ah

The split pack is a good idea.

Ahh okay, 18650 and P42A are very different beasts

Wait…21000mAh from 5p is 4200mAh per cell…what 18650 was that?

Sorry, 16s6p.

All that I can tell you is that they are green. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :hugs:

I wanna say VTC5?

edit: wait no they are 2600mAh