3D Printing Discussions, Questions and Debugging

This is so cool!
3 Likes

@mishrasubhransu decided to do a retraction test with the stock settings… this happened :grimacing:

2 Likes

@DEEIF https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/09/05/how-to-easily-calibrate-retraction-in-3d-printers/

This method does 16 different retraction distances and a range of speeds in one print.

This saves me a huge amount of time with each new material.

2 Likes

So what was the effect of various settings?

1 Like

Bout to go through changing one by one the settings.

Just reminded me I have a bucket of silicone resin sitting here should see if it’s still usable (also max temp it can deal with might be worth trying to make)

Have done molds for some esk8 parts based on 3D prints but haven’t tried actually making anything out of the silicone itself (aside from molds)

Couple random pics I documented it all somewhere I imagine too :slight_smile:

1 Like

@mishrasubhransu this is stock with 0 coast 0 wipe and 5mm 45mm/sec retract

The one with 0.2mm wipe is printing right now

1 Like

From left to right…

1. Stock from @mishrasubhransu
  2. 0.2mm Wall Wipe
  3. Coasting and the above
  4. 50mm/sec retraction compared to 45 plus the above

@agentdev and others how should I go about fixing?

1 Like

Most likely you just need either lower temp or more retraction. If this is the stock hot end, try as high as 7mm of retraction…I just had to do they tonight on 5 stock Ender 3 pros that were otherwise too stringy.

1 Like

What speed? I’m using Microswiss all metal…

On the micro Swiss I don’t remember using anything over 5.5 or 6…but was usually around 4mm at 30-40mm/s. My only micro Swiss is direct drive now, so I only do .7-1.1 with most materials. It has been a while since it had the bowden tube I’m not sure on the specifics.

1 Like

I prefer using the two pillar retraction test. This one is useful if you are printing figurines. Since each extrusion move is so small, coasting is not getting used, as there is a minimum distance for coasting.

I don’t like reducing temperature for structural parts because temperature affects layer adhesion, although reducing temp will reduce stringing.

Retraction speed was fine at 45, but what’s your retraction distance. Try going up to 7mm. Also increase your travel speed to 200mm/sec. This way it gets faster to the other side and doesn’t have time to ooze.

Try the two pillar test.

2 Likes

Will do!

So two pillar test with everything applied except 7mm distance at 45mm/sec and 200mm/sec travel speed?

1 Like

Yeah, everything applied including 200mm/sec travel speed. Then increase retraction distance over few steps until 7mm and no more than that.

2 Likes

Thanks man! Still temp at 250? And bed at 70…

What material is that?

I should add that I use the Google sheet based retraction tower for rapid, course testing. Once it finishes, I fine tune retraction and adjust other settings.

Far too often I see folks try more advanced settings before nailing retraction distance…the square retraction tower accomplishes this in one print (if your minimum and maximum values are reasonable).

2 Likes

PETG… Overture I believe.

1 Like

My microswiss bowden setup

1 Like