3D Printing Discussions, Questions and Debugging

Yup who would have thought that correct calibration matters :melting_face: that benchy printed much better @ 0.45 line width. Running another small test print now @ 0.48 but it was looking good on the first layer so far. Now that I’ve got it running well again, I need to find something else to screw it up!

1 Like

It’s already very low at 2mm and I’m getting loads of stringing everywhere because of it. That’s really the biggest downside of PETG, it’s so damn oozy.

That being said, I loosened up the extruder gears and that helped a ton, apparently they were way too tight. Also bumbed down the temps to 220°C, now there is just here and there a pinhole.

1 Like

First time I printed PETG my first thought was how oozy it was too. Wispy strings everywhere haha

Now that I got mine running this PLA decently (printed a new knob for my machine) I just started a 1d 6h print :grimacing: what could go wrong? I never minded a good spaghetti meal… :crossed_fingers:t2:

2 Likes

Good luck! PLA is sure easier to handle. :smiley:

1 Like

Okay I got it now close to perfect. There are still some imperfections (still no idea what causes them), but they are only visible in the right light, and not detectable by feeling them. I think I’m satisfied now, PETG is such a finicky material to get perfect.

3 Likes

Got my 0.6 nozzles today so I’m trying this profile out on a simple PLA print. Shaved a good hour and a half off what a 0.2 layer/0.4 nozzle print would have taken. First layer was looking good so I’ve got my fingers crossed! Do you usually need to run the nozzle temp hotter like that (214*) for the 0.6 with PLA?

1 Like

I usually run 214 just because several filaments I use have a 215 min temp and I’m lazy. It works but for whites and blacks, I usually drop it to 200-210

1 Like

I’m running a matte grey cause I’m lazy and it’s what was on my machine :sweat_smile: Just got a new silk PLA that I’m looking forward to fighting

Silk is so weird. The filament comes out and then shrinks immediately, leaving a weird stretchy filament for a bit. Turning speed down helps but if annoying to deal with for sure.

1 Like

Wild shot in the dark: Try switching your perimeter seam location settings? The blemishes might be caused by the printhead stopping for layer changes?

1 Like

I already tried the aligned seam setting, they still appear. No clue at this point.

1 Like

On my Ender 3 pro I was getting some weird blips in the print edges like that every now and then and I realized somehow a little filament spagetti piece had somehow got kind of stuck on my Y axis belt and was giving the bed a bit of a bumpy ride. Once it was gone that problem went away but your problem could be totally different. Once I figure out one problem on my machine I like to try and introduce another so I can make sure I am always a little bit frustrated

2 Likes

Good idea, maybe I check up on the belts :thinking: There has to be a lot of shit in there though to produce so many small blips…

1 Like

No one wants 3D shit blips :pensive:

2 Likes

If you think you are going to dry PC or PA from 3dxtech or taulman, think again.

Get a metal spool or make one with higher Heat deflection than the low temp plastics they send you “engineering” filaments on.

The spool will warp. You will have a frustration.

4 Likes

I really like this new type of smart infill pattern, looks hella cool and safes tons on material.

3 Likes

If I saw that I’d assume my machine is broke as F :sweat_smile: that’s not the lightning infill from Cura is it?

1 Like

It is, although it’s available on prusaslicer aswell.

2 Likes

I’ve only used it sparingly and not as dense as that. Looks pretty wild.

I’m working on trying some pulley printing ideas. I’m liking the 0.6 nozzle so far however my biggest complaint is how the infill looks on the top layer after it’s complete. Kind of messy looking. Not blaming the nozzle… I’m sure there are some settings I can play around with (infill speed, possibly flow or line width, or even throw ironing on afterwards if I’m really being anal about it.)

That and oozing are my biggest gripes with 0.6mm nozzles.

1 Like