3D Printing Discussions, Questions and Debugging

It’s actually not that bad! You can leave it assembled and still get at all that fairly easily. Just don’t strip the tiny set screws and you’ll be fine! Pro tip: if you do feel the set screw starting to deform, grab your SAE hex keys. The little guy of similar size is ever so slightly bigger and will turn the trick if you find yourself in a bind.

1 Like

Thanks, will do :slight_smile:

Results after installing a new .4 nozzle and print head maintenance. The lines are much cleaner now, but it’s still there. Its also just visible on the walls, top and bottom layers are as perfect as it gets. I really don’t know what the fuck is going on. PETG printed at 230°C.

Super 3D printing noob here so take that into account - have you dried your filament? Could be a possible moisture issue depending on your printing environment. Apologize if you already covered over that.

I recently picked up an Ender 3 Pro and have been having fun aka pulling my hair out over various issues that I try and band-aid with ‘upgrades’. I’ll do my own post soon looking for help on issues

Yes, after the PLA this was dried too :slight_smile: It also doesn’t pop and hisses like wet filament.

Please do, this thread kinda dried up in the last months. :smiley:

Try lowering your retraction distance

Like I said I’m a pretty big noob in the 3D world so I’m feeling my way thru the dark right now. Been printing mostly PLA, PLA+ and I have a roll of PETG as well. Standard 0.4 nozzle. This is on an Ender 3 Pro that I’ve done the following to:

• upgraded bed springs
  • CR touch
  • metal dual gear extruder
  • Marlin firmware

I have a glass bed that I use sometimes but I kinda prefer the magnetic bed right now.

Anywho most recent issue after kind of figuring out the Marlin firmware (and no longer having Babystep Z in my tune options while printing) is wall separations and what appears to be underextruding everywhere. I calibrated my eSteps. Most recently changed line width from 0.4 to 0.45 to try and fill in some gaps but it looked basically the same. I’ll try increasing more but I don’t want to overdo it when there’s a problem elsewhere. Overlap is set at 20% I believe. I’ve tried moving my Z closer (can tell the nozzle is digging in) and further away (stringy mess that doesn’t stick). Should I keep upping line width? This is with Polymaker PolyTerra PLA, 200/60* temps @ 50 speed.

That piece above was printed at 0.4 line width. The Benchy below was at 0.45 line width but it doesn’t look any better. Using Cura 5.1 on standard quality 0.2 layer profile.

:man_facepalming:t2: I think I found my issue. It really seemed it like it just wasn’t getting enough filament. Changed my nozzle in case I jacked the original up. Then I realized, since installing the new Marlin firmware I didn’t check my eSteps. I had them dialed in previously, not even thinking it wouldn’t carry over. It was set to default 93 when it should have been around 140 (for me). I was getting about 66mm instead of the 100 I was asking for. Derp. Will report back after testing again :man_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

Yeah that makes sense. I was gonna ask if you had calibrated your extrusion or checked your multiplier

1 Like

Yeah, total brain fart. Didn’t even think about it getting reset after switching firmware for the CR touch. First 2 layers look much better so I’ll check back on it later. Wish I had one of those Bambu’s so I could say I’ll grab the finished print in 10 mins :rofl:

1 Like

Hahah

@ShutterShock what changes did you make to your Ender that you’d recommend? (That goes for anyone here with one too). It’s easy to just go nuts and buy everything online since it’s all relatively inexpensive, but I also know it’s an entry level machine and it’s easy to go overboard.

Only changes I made were PEI sheet and capricorn tubing, prints pretty well, albeit kinda slow

1 Like

I’d look in to setting your line width a bit thicker if it’s not dialed in. I usually do 4/3 of nozzle size.

1 Like

This test one is at 0.45 line width. Up til now I think I’ve left it at the default 0.4 unless one of the CHEP profiles used a different width and I didn’t notice. Have some 0.6 nozzles coming that I’m looking forward to trying out.

1 Like

0.6 nozzle is my favorite for all around printing. If you ever need a profile for it, I got you covered. It does 0.6 - 0.8mm line width really well and it’s magnitudes faster with minimal quality loss.

1 Like

Absolutely, I’d love to check out the profile

1 Like

BB Base OPT 0.24.curaprofile (1.7 KB)

This one is good for all around stuff. I bump up the layer height to 0.3 if it doesn’t have significant vertical curvature.

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you!

1 Like