3D-Printed Pneumatic Rims For Win and Fitment | Wheels | Hubs

I have also found this to be the case, and have been able to make some extremely durable parts by using solid “bottom layers” all the way through the part, and 0% infill layers.

1 Like

Here’s the old and new versions side-by-side. I still need to print another new unit so I can get both back wheels mounted.

5 Likes

Make it so you bolt trhough, and fixing the outer lips like that

2 Likes

How about washers on the bolts that will cover to the edge of the lip?

1 Like

I suppose that’ll be the next step, if this iteration still doesn’t hold up.

1 Like

So this is where I’m at currently. After doing some test riding with the 10" wheelbarrow tires, they just are too unbalanced and start to vibrate/oscillate/resonate so nasty at 30kmh/18mph that they just ain’t worth it, so I’m in the process of switching back to the safe&sound off-road 8" tires and making custom rims for them, so I can get the bigger bearings on there.

Figured out also a good way to do faster test prints for prototype pieces. Print them with the full bearing pockets so you can mount them on the axles, but with only a section of the outer edge.

as an added bonus you get a good look at the cross-section

I then out of boredom went to aliexpress to check if I could find any good 10" tires and order a set of 4 of these 10x2.50 scooter tires. They don’t exactly have an off-road thread profile, but might be good for summer use, but will probably also test them out this winter.

4 Likes

Things have been rolling forward in the background with the rims, but I just didn’t feel that there were enough to post updates about, I’ve been keeping silent.

Anyways, the rims for the 8" tires have been working great and since the first version with the big 6301 bearings. I later did a little testing with the rolling friction of the bearings themselves between the 6301 (12x37x12) and the more common MBS sized 6001 (12x28x8) and figured out that I can get a bit more range with the 6001s as they roll a bit better, although that might also partially be because the SKF 6301s that I used were of the model 6301-2RSH, the ‘H’ at the end standing for “heavy duty”-seals, which I suspect might increase the rolling resistance a little bit for the better sealing seals.

I also have this freak unit, which was the first one I printed for the 6001 bearings. It has the smaller 6001 bearing, but I forgot to shrink the size of the center section, which is still sized for the 6301, but has the 6001 pocket size, so it looks a bit… big.

I also did a little precursory test for widening the rims, based on the talk on this thread:

I just added a little extra spacer bit between the front and back side of the rim (printed in yellow), just to see how the tire behaved when pumped up, but haven’t actually ridden on them. It also causes the valve stem hole to get more offset. I think I would have added a bigger spacer, but I didn’t have any longer 5M bolts, so they were the limiting factor how much I could actually add spacing.

Now we finally get to the more recent… bigger things… Rims for 10 Inch tires. The tires are from aliexpress:

I had originally prototyped the barrel of the rim with 10 bolts, but it was a bit too dense/busy, so I decided to go for 8 bolts instead and 4 spoke design.

I am currently happy with the design and I am going to need to order more filament to print them for all 4 corners.

Slightly improved design, which was optimized for printing.

9 Likes

Do you have any alignment issues? How’s the durability on the pulleys? Are they well balanced?

I kinda dropped my project as I bought some bergs, but I’m looking to get into designing a new set with some ideas I had recently.

1 Like

I actually did have, but I figured out a procedure on how to align them properly. I have them pretty bang on at them moment. I can go into this a bit further with pictures and explanation, if you’re interested.

I have metal pulleys on the motors and I print the wheel pulleys with PETG. PLA has too low glass transition temperature and softens much faster and wears away much more quickly, but after I get the PETG pulleys run in and the teeth deform a little bit to better fit the belt, they are usually good for few thousand kilometers, so I don’t really fret about them.

I believe the current PETG gears have around 1000 km on them and no significant teeth deformation, but they are big at 50+ teeth, so the load is distributed along more teeth. I remember on my first boards that I ran Thanes on, even the PETG gears with around 25 teeth didn’t last that long in comparison. The side of the pulley is a bit scuffed, as I might gotten something stuck between the pulley and motor mounts and it grounded on the pulley.

No noticeable vibrations until around 43km/h, so not great, not terrible. There is option to do some extra balancing options, but haven’t bothered. The 10 inch wheels clearly free roll to a certain position, indicating a heavy point, but the outer diameter is at least very uniform. Once I get them on all 4 corners and I get some testing done, I’ll see if I need to figure out a method to balance them.

3 Likes

Looking great dude, where’s the models/STLs? :sunglasses:

I’ve got some ideas about 3d printed hubs and gears, I think I’ve an unconventional approach that would be extremely durable, based on some work I’ve been doing with FDM printed parts for metal working machinery. Would love to try them out using your models if you’re willing to share. I’m not that hot with cad yet.

1 Like

Which rim models are you interested in?

4 Likes

Yes.

5 Likes

Exactly.

(ALL OF THEM :rage:) :man_shrugging:

Please? :innocent:

3 Likes

I’m interested in those alignment tips and pics!!, Also want to know how to make the “border” of the rim more durable, so it doesn’t break when I pump up the pressure.

1 Like

[quote=“javand, post:62, topic:44128, full:true”]

Note that the 8" rims are from before I started designing the 10" tire rims, so they are a little less developed/refined, as what I had learned from them, I applied to the 10" rims.

All designs use M5x60 bolts to hold the two halves together. Wheel pulley is mounted with M4 hardware. And the bolt pattern for the wheel pulley mounting are custom. I printed the rims with 100% infill.

Note that these are all live versions of the .stl files in my google drive so they can be updated/changed or removed at any time. All files are provided “AS IS”, I don’t take any responsibility if someone uses these models to print them and then subsequently get hurt while using them.

I don’t mind you using them if you change them to fit your own setup, but I would appreciate if you’d link this thread about where you got the original models from, if you post about yours.

8" rims, 6301 bearing:

8" rims, 6001 bearing:

10 inch rims, 6001 bearing:

17 Likes

What a legendary post man. Thanks for sharing your hard work!!
:heart_eyes:

3 Likes

10 inch rim question. What’s with the internal lip? Removable material?

1 Like

To promote adhesion to print surface, remove after printing

2 Likes

Are these tried and tested 10 inches? You’re tempting me but a brand new Lonestar supersport isn’t quite a board I wanna see kissing the ground

Also, what filament would work best?

1 Like

Not field tested yet. Waiting for more filament at the moment.

2 Likes