3D printables for esk8

What do you mean? I thought the vesc already had capacitors :thinking:

1 Like

Are those battery side or motor side?

What are you referring to? The battery connects to the vesc and that connects to the motors. Iā€™d be moving the vescs closer to the motors actually.

My apologies, missed that. Just be sure the voltage spikes donā€™t fry your caps (so measure them), and in turn your VESCs. That would be an expensive mistake to make.

1 Like

I think Iā€™m missing somethingā€¦

Moving the vesc closer to the motors is good, but moving them away from the battery in the form of a battery backpack opens the opportunity for inductance from the long power cables, so it would still be good to be adding (more) capacitors to the vesc input to tolerate that?

3 Likes

That was my thinking! The caps werenā€™t specced for long battery cables.

Why would you want a battery backpack?

The longer the wires the greater the wire diameter will need to be for the same load. Either side of the Vesc.

2 Likes

to create a super portable solution like this

1 Like

Cool build but what if you fall on your back? :grimacing:

1 Like

Backs are flexible, and most all proper backpacks (like the one I use) has a load-bearing / stiffening / ventilation sheet between it and your back, so not like thereā€™s no protection. Obviously you also encase the battery in a LiPo charging (fire safe) bag.

1 Like

I just meant that in the sense that those 200$+ each rc escs on the back of the backpack look a little crushableā€¦ but thatā€™s just me

1 Like

Right, Iā€™m working on getting them more integrated, and soon theyā€™ll be mounted inside the zip pouch at the top, which will be zipped open for ventilation during use.

2 Likes

I think @Chibatterysystems might be able to chime in on the backpack idea since heā€™s been using one

1 Like

Isnā€™t his as an auxiliary pack to charge the one on the board though?

1 Like

My backpack parallels to my board so I can use my board alone, my backpack alone or both of them together. Biggest drawback is the board and backpack always have to be at the same voltage to connect them safely.

Been using it for over 2 years

3 Likes

It doesnā€™t charge my board, it powers it.

1 Like

What do you use against voltage spikes? Details?

@Chibatterysystems they are talking about wire thickness and potential need for extra capacitors ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

1 Like

Thankfully I changed bags from that ugly ass bag to an obed. So comfy now.

Originally I was going to use a large cap bank in the backpack, I thought Iā€™d run it without it and see how it went. It works perfectly fine without it, just thick 8 awg wire is enough.

Just to mention, I can and have used it with the backpack alone but I donā€™t make it a habit and when I do power it off my backpack alone, I donā€™t gas it.

3 Likes

My theory on why it works so wel is that there is an onboard battery (12s3p 21700) which handles most of the amp output. I would assume the current comes from there initially and the backpack sort of ā€˜rechargesā€™ the board in times of less amp draw

2 Likes