3D printables for esk8

This science deserves to be in its own thread Jan, beautiful work :ok_hand:

14 Likes

yeah thts a nice idea
i just ordered counter weights to balance my 9" mud pluggers on my etoxx offset hubs (i think the valve makes the wobble)

3 Likes

Incredible! Great work bro, definitely following progress on this

2 Likes

Genius! What a great idea. Could you estimate the weight of the valve stem and add spots for one or two larger bolts of similar weight across from the stem to offset the weight, and use the smaller bolts for fine tuning? And make these for MBS Rockstar and 5 stars? Pleeaase??

6 Likes

The bigger bolts spots are a good idea. I’m thinking one big hole on each side of the spoke opposite the valve.

Unfortunately I don’t have any MBS wheels on hand. Also I think making something that could be easily attached to the Rockstar/Fivestar hubs would be more challenging since the bolts that hold the two parts together don’t stick out.

4 Likes

Here’s another iteration. I removed material from the valve side and added two slots for M5 bolts opposite to the valve.

M5x6 bolts should sink in perfectly. Or maybe use M5x10 and a nut for safety and extra weight. I’ll get it printed, test it and report back.

20 Likes

Somebody send this man a rockstar hub

13 Likes

Pro or 2?

3 Likes

2 is more widely used

2 Likes

I know I have fivestars laying around, I think I have a rockstar 2 as well. I’ll be back.

4 Likes

A laser cut version could be mass-produced pretty easily and sold on here, I wouldn’t try that though cuz this is your idea

1 Like

Was about to ask why not add a second and a third row of m3 bolts inside the ring ?

It’s an option but I don’t think it’s necessary. I want to keep the volume of the added material reasonable. The holder already adds 10 grams to the wheel which is the worth of two typical adhesive counter-balance weights.

3 Likes

I might revisit this design, but its working well for now. Close to the deck but doesn’t touch on lean.

11 Likes

What’s your printing method/material/settings? That part looks really nice.

3 Likes

It’s PLA on a cheap FDM printer. I do get pretty nice parts out of it though. If you get PLA with a metallic flake it hides the layer lines and looks nicer. It’s Inland pla from Microcenter.

0.15mm layer height, printed pretty slow.

6 Likes

You’d have to stack 3 pieces to match the design as is, since you can’t get the fastener counterbores or the spoke cutouts with 2d manufacturing. 3D printing is ideal for this if those features are necessary.

It could be designed around, may give it a shot for personal use

1 Like

+1 for Microcenter and Inland. I’m very happy to have one nearby. You aren’t worried about heat affecting the PLA?

Heat from what? Never had post print heat issues but I also don’t live in a desert.

2 Likes