3D-printable Tanuki Hubs! 🦝

My compromise is to just print in PETG and paint the hubs afterwards. PLA is also reasonably UV resistant, but is more brittle than PETG. ASA has good UV resistance too, but is a little bit more expensive.

Generally, the lighter the color the better, white being best of course.

3 Likes

I would maybe say natural or no pigment is the best. I find white filaments to be kinda tough to print with. Best results have come from the clear ones. Ends up looking white though once printed.

1 Like

I was thinking about trying some of this since my new printer shouldn’t have too much trouble printing it. Otherwise, probably just PETG. PLA+ doesn’t have the necessary heat resistance

1 Like

For hubs I think the best bet would be natural or clear, solvent smooth it to fuse layers, anneal it, spray on plastic primer and filler to protect from next step, spray on outdoor paint

Should have that premium look and be a bit more durable

2 Likes

That sounds so extra lol but it would probably work well

If you’re gonna trust your life on printed plastic I think the least you can do is put in some effort :joy:

1 Like

Go big or go home then. PEEK for the win!

1 Like

While this would look very good and probably add some strength to the part in the vertical direction (not a lot, but still), household items to smooth with are only available for ABS and ASA, for others they are extremely dangerous or only work with very special filaments (Isopropyl for example only works with PVB filament). Also it would propably fuck up the seat tolerances, although that remains to be seen, I haven’t tested this.

True, but white filament reflects the most energy, so it has some advantages aswell, if you don’t want to paint the hub.

I think if you only drive on streets and check your bearings often, you’ll be fine. Just don’t use dark filaments or paint the hub. My recommendation still stands with PETG or PETG-G though.

You mean the murder-death-boards they get attached to that everyone on here keeps falling off? :smiley:

Lmao at this point just buy some rockstars of you’re not in it for the looks. :smiley:

1 Like

That’s part of the problem though, asphalt gets very hot and I have seen warping in my own PLA+ designs riding in 80-100 degree weather. I have not tested this on wheels, but other designs that I have people beta testing, just speculation that it would also be true for wheels.

1 Like

Lol at that point CNC aluminum hubs would be a more reasonable investment especially since almost no one is gonna be able to print it.

1 Like

It’s also just speculation on my part, so yeah. :smiley: Maybe if you live in canada they are a viable option without much to worry. :smiley:

True.

1 Like

Hey man, if I’m gonna get turned into a meat crayon on a death board, at least I want it to be on my terms and due to my stupidity, not my board :joy:

5 Likes

I’m gonna make hubs out of wood just so even less people will have it, just you wait :grin:

1 Like

First person to make hubs out of this stuff wins

Navy Researchers Develop Superior Bulletproof Glass.

Btw I’m pretty close to releasing this. It is… massive. :smiley:

9 Likes

Is that your carbon fiber wheel, or will it be 3d printable?

3D printed. This would be a massive overkill for CF. Well, for plastic too, but not this much. :smiley:

1 Like

Not a thing around these parts.

@ShutterShock we can play around with my glass PP if your interested. :joy:. In a heat box out of habit. I know.

@Tanuki i caused the catastrophic rim sidewall failure and I know why. I’ll post pics and details after sunset. :skateboard:

6 Likes

I’m down!

1 Like

:thinking:

Is this like the pickle dildos JayPo was sending instead of unities?

1 Like