3-Link Truck Designs

Thanks for posting. From the outside it feels like it can be worked out, but perhaps these two have talked each other into a corner.

Brad would you be able to get them on a call (zoom? Hangouts?) and be Judge Judy for them? Haha it’s a lot to ask.

4 Likes

I just find the whole situation extra hilarious this happens right after that torqueboards deck debacle. On the plus side, I had no idea these trucks had a waiting list! I thought they were for racers only. Now it looks like I’ll be added on the @MoeStooge list

10 Likes

That is way above my expertise level.

3 Likes

all links, tubes, and axle spacers made from steel

Why don’t you get them from RC 1/4 or 1/5 Scale Baja Off Roading? They are already made for racing trucks, they got a bunch of sizes, and there are a few manufacturers who offer them out there. Get them there and perhaps this way you end up saving a few more bucks instead yourself CNCing the dam thing.

1 Like

I generally agree with that.
Don’t make what you can buy.

Focus on your thing, and don’t turn everything about it into a project.

4 Likes

…because then it will take forever :roll_eyes:

1/2" Solid 4130. Spindle area is 10mm

4 Likes

Is there a reason why pieces 1 and 2 need to be seperate? Seems like extra pieces and less structure for no reason.

7 Likes

I imagine machining piece 2 to incorporate piece 1 world be some extreme machining. And with piece 1 screwing in allows more adjustment. Then again be nicer as one piece possibly being stronger and less parts

I feel people shouldn’t be discouraged from making variants as we all benefit from that.

I’m actually up in big bear around u I think.

2 Likes

The spherical carrier bearing (piece 1) allows for the roll pitch and Yaw moment center of the axel. A one piece baseplate (2) with a spherical bearing insert would work. By using a rod end as the carrier it allows for ride height adjustment.

12 Likes

How much adjustment do you do once you have a setup figured out?

Obviously adjustment is great for R&D, or just generally tuning in a setup.
But beyond that do you feel its very crucial?

When we are 50mph track racing, depending on track conditions, will lower the center of gravity, Flatten the rear bars (removes rear steering) and lower the front bars to match the tightest turn radius on the course.

Short track under 30mph. Adj the bar angle to match the tightest apex.
If your a cruiser Set the steering ratio to what feels the best.

8 Likes

Many years ago now, I was in a rather long line at a gas station when I saw the front pump was open and the line was waiting for the person at the rear pump to finish and the line to move up. I was impatient with the process and pulled out of line and easily took the front pump and began pumping gas. When the line finally did move up, one car took the other cars place and the person verbalized the observation to me that there was a long line of people waithing not just me to which I replied that if it wasn’t me that jumped the line it would have been somebody else, inferring my impatience at the fact that the next person in line didn’t do it themselves. All day afterward I couldn’t stop thinking about the incident, something was wrong about it and I just couldn’t articulate what it was. I had seen other people do what I did and I wasn’t offended, of course I wasn’t in the line that would be affected by it. I tried to reason that what I did was right because that was just how the world worked, because it wasn’t that big of a deal, because if it wasn’t me it would have been somebody else… right? And that is where I got stuck, I didn’t feel that was the kind of world I wanted to live in and it could have been somebody else but it wasn’t - it was me. I was the somebody who cut in a long line of people who were waiting and then justified it by claiming that life is just not fair and it is ridiculous to expect better from humanity. I had acted arrogant, self-centered and so much less than what I thought of myself. I was sorry to be ‘that somebody’ and that day I determined that I would never be ‘that somebody’ again. In Retrospect and from where I am today I realize that so many people are impatient, they don’t want to wait their turn much less wait for someone else to decide when the time is right to move forward in their turn. There are people pushing foward with things they may not fully understand because ‘something’ needs to be done, inadvertently out pacing the understanding that will bring the better result not just the fastest. We do this with policies, products, child rearing, education, social justice ect. the list could go on and on. My hope for us as individuals and as a society is that we can learn to slow down & stop seeing every opportunity with the anxious impatience that comes with the ‘if I don’t grab it, somebody will’ and begin to see people, relationship and a vision for the kind of world we want to live in.

Mrs. Moe Stooge

I like this lady a lot.

38 Likes

I think it would be quite simple with a 4 axis cnc. Losing adjustability is a trade-off for sure though. Probably depends on the objective of the design.

3 Likes

You would also need a block of aluminium almost twice the size.
It would increase machining time and cost without offering something in return apart from loss of adjustability.
Also how would you incorporate the spherical bearing?

2 Likes

The reason is that we know something that no other animal worries about, we have taught ourselves the concept of time, what it means and how it applies. Our every day life is governed by clocks, ticking seconds away. Thus, we fear something no other animal on earth fears, the fear of time running out. For this reason, it makes us uneasy to be patient.

7 Likes

The point would be additional structural integrity, moving from steel to aluminum is not something that should be taken lightly, the fatigue life of aluminum is pretty bad.

The machining and material cost would be negligible at scale, you are talking $5 vs $8 per piece or something around there. Many spherical bearings also come in a cylindrical package that can be inserted into a hole. Anyway I can’t see the whole assembly so its hard to say for certain.

2 Likes

Aluminium doesn’t have a fatigue limit as you correctly stated.
That said, if designed properly it can withstand millions of cycles.
That swivel joint would have to be pressed inside the aluminium housing and stay there too after these millions of cycles.
Can it be done? Of course, IMO though it creates more problems than you are trying to solve.
What don’t you like about the current design in aluminium? Is it the threaded hole that holds the rod? There are many ways to reinforce it if need be.

4 Likes

Taking a second look it is probably ok. I think those linkages will remove most of the bending moments on that spherical joint caused by forward/backward force when hitting a crack or some such.

I also think this picture design looks a lot beefier than that screenshot of CAD.

3 Likes

They’re not the same truck/design. The truck pictured above is from @JaysTCB and the CAD is from @evoheyax

3 Likes