3-Link Truck Designs

If you think so…there is actually a lot to learn from them in this discussion but it does depend a lot on how an individual looks at things and goes about solving problems.

5 Likes

I just don’t want people to get confused because it looks like they’re operating similarly. They’re not.

The springs make for a similar appearance, but aren’t guiding the axle at all like a linkage. They’re only a thing because they hadn’t figured out bushings yet.

2 Likes

I use them to understand the relationship between deck lean, axle path and effective base plate angle

9 Likes

I find it particularly interesting how far back there is evidence of “prior art” of bushing placement on the axle, and adjustable base plates

2 Likes

Their bushing design was hard to understand and did not last long

2 Likes

There’s more than a few.

This is the Revo Truck, for kiteboarding.
Its also adjustable, and has a better execution for bushings.
Image sourece:
https://www.extremekites.com.au/topic/15944-revo-trucks-service It has pictures of it disassembled too.

Almost any new truck idea you can find some older version of it.

wackyboards.blogspot.com has a load of that sort of thing.

Here’s one I just found on pavedwave

Not exactly the same, but it will have similar bushing engagement.

9 Likes

Makes you wonder why dkp and tkp became the most popular when there was no lack of innovative designs

9 Likes

I’d say the biggest reason is poor execution.
Many of the “Innovative designs” were never meant to be any more than a gimmick.

Coming up with ideas has always been the easy part of design.

2 Likes

Offtopic but . . . I once built my own set of Revo style trucks back when I was at school probably 15 years ago now. Cast the aluminium parts myself and turned the axles.

Come to think of it, this was probably my first ever DIY board, even vacuum bagged the deck myself.

16 Likes

dkp and tkp also seem the simplest so far. easy to manufacture keeps prices down and margins up. Straight forward design won’t wear of break. and once you have incumbency… well then its easy

@evoheyax Am I right in understanding you will be making a purchasable version of your design ? I have been interested in something like this for a high speed build

3 Likes

That is a legit DIY build.

6 Likes

So RKP?

3 Likes

yes sorry. I meant RKP and TKP mostly but really all king pin designs share those traits to some extend

Chris Chaput made a video on these trucks a few days ago.

1 Like

Channel trucks seem easiest to produce if we are talking precisions?

3 Likes

Have a link?

really? cause those brackets for sure require more steps than just the hanger with a hole in it and a bolt.

aren’t you the machinist?

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/user/chrischaput/videos

1 Like

I dunno ive seen some super crude channel trucks out there

Look at these ride flame ones for example

6 Likes

Hahahahaha, found one of the designs we did back in the Silverfish days on Wackyboards:

by riptide

The Ackerman!

16 Likes