£260 - ALL TERRAIN MOON DRIVES

Almost there… Almost there… just waiting on spacers + washer lol

11 Likes

Hi… currently I will have 4 people testing these gears and that is enough for now

3 Likes

I received my Gead Drives from batch 2 :slight_smile: They are awesome !!! It’s for my first MTB after several DIY Street builds.

But here is some questions on the assembly process :

1/ Using only my hands, I’m only able to put the clamp along the hanger for some cm but after it blocks (See Image 1 below). Should I use a soft hammer and a piece of wood to put it further, until both holes are aligned and I can then use the big screw from the “MBS clamp hardware” bag inside the big hole of the hanger ?

Image 1 :

Image 2 :

2/ And after that, am I supposed to put the very small grub screw from the same bag in the other hole of the clamp (see image 2 above) ? Because it doesn’t fit, I can’t screw it at all :frowning:
You can see the grub screw in the image 3 above (the 2 raw ones). I tried to put another screw inside this hole (the black ones) and it does fit perfectly but the threads from the grub screws and from black screws I used seem different (see image4. For me that confirms why I can’t put the grub screws inside)

So what did I miss ? Are the grub screws for something else than the hole in the clamp (they are the same grub screws than the original ones in the MBS hanger but not aligned with the big holes in this same hanger) I’m supposed my own screws not supplied in the bag ? Is this an error in the machining process of the clamp ? Does one of you the same “problem” by the way (if this is a problem, which I doubt and I think I don’t understand th assembly part of the clamp).

Image 3 :

Image 4 :

Please help me guys :wink: @moon @ixf @Venom121212 @Andy87

2 Likes

Hey the MBS hardware (oil slick espically) can be a little uneven. I had to file my down a little to get it through. as for the small grub screw… If i recall correctly its there for one purpose only… to fuck you over when it pops out mid ride and jams your gears from all the vibration :stuck_out_tongue: you don’t need it. That big ass mounting hole is super solid and enough. @moon please correct me if any inaccuracy

2 Likes

Thank you !

Just to be sure, did you file the clamp or the hanger ?

1 Like

Like @ixf said mbs hangers do have a bit of a tolerance, so the clamp doesn’t always fit perfectly. First make sure that this grub screw isn’t blocking the clamp

If that isn’t the case I would use a bit a hammer or if it’s super tight I would sand down the clamp a bit. I did a bit sanding on my hanger, but with this nice oil slick ahhh I would do it on the clamp :joy:

PS: don’t forget the case need to be on the hanger first :wink:

4 Likes

oh ya i forgot the grub screw… i filed that one down too :smiley:

2 Likes

File the hanger, and like @Andy87 said check the grub screw on the hanger and make sure its flush if not FILE IT DOWN TOO!

2 Likes

Best to pm me mate. I’ll explain everything

You take that grub screw out and replace it with the silver one provided

3 Likes

Ok thank you guys, I got it : the provided grub screws should replace the original ones on the hanger, not go inside the clamp small hole.

I had already removed the grub screw from the hanger before I tried to fit the clamp and took the pictures. I’ll file just a bit the clamp and it should be ok.

@moon : I asked here instead of in a PM because it could be useful for others too (even if I’m the only one to aksed myself this question I guess and not have thought of the remplacement scenario).

6 Likes

Like :butter:

20 Likes

I’ve also made a spacer with matching gasket rings to replace the small spacers included. Intention is to seal the inner gear bearing from the outside world and to perhaps absorb some axial shock between the gear and wheel adapter.

I made the spacer out of PLA and the seals out of TPE; previous bumper was made from TPE.

Gear sealing ring

Spacer

Wheel adapter sealing ring

If anyone wants these let me know. Fully assembled pics coming soon; I also might add a washer / plate to retain the bumper.

3 Likes

Forgot to mention there is also a lip to keep the v-ring from sliding off the gear.

Sorry for the triple post.

4 Likes

Just found this thread - What trucks does this work with, and what ratios are available in the helical gear flavor?

1 Like

Check the first post. Link at the top to get on the list.

3 Likes

Wow I feel really dumb. I guess next time I should look a bit harder before asking a question.

Thanks!!

6 Likes

Happens to all of us, don’t sweat it.

Whoops, I deleted this post by mistake. That delete button should really ask to confirm.
Original post follows:

@moon Hm. I ground down my original grub screws a few mm and used the provided grubs in the clamps (to help locate it and hold it in place). Is this wrong and if so what is the small hole on the collar for?

In other news, I’ve made a 3d printable bumper for the gear drive casing to avoid scratching it when you prop the board up against stuff. I still need to make a retaining plate (or washers) so case bolts don’t pull through though.

lrv-bumper.stl (4.2 MB)

bumper

And here’s the assembly of the spacer w/ gaskets:

Add sealing ring for wheel adapter

Add PLA spacer

Add sealing ring for gear

Assembled on truck

I would recommend bolting everything except the wheel up to the gear/case first, then bolting the wheel to the wheel adapter. In these pictures I have the wheel adapter already bolted on (wrong).

7 Likes

I also designed a 3D printable hub spacer that is rigid and provides much more support than the little included washers.
I can share the stl / step / or solidworks part file.

My setup requires different set of fasteners tho. M4x50 for the wheels and M5x14 for the aluminium wheel adapter.
And according to @ixf my setup won’t work on v1 drive units, because you can’t flush mount the wheel adapter to the gear on v1’s. It would grind against the trucks…

I printed mine with 50% infill and they have been holding up nicely.
SPACER-8mm.stl (67.1 KB)

8 Likes

Mistakes were made; I made the bumper for the wrong side of the case! :upside_down_face:

Luckily it’s only a few minor sketch changes; will post back with a new STL file.
I also need to check if the bumper will clear the tire and thicken up the part if it’s not too much additional material.

This is why you beta test before releasing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Heh. I was literally gonna poke @DerelictRobot to see if he was making bumpers… since I think i’ve spy’d moon drives on his setup and he has been known to make other bumpers. :smiley:

I’m interested in these when you get em flipped.

2 Likes