£260 - ALL TERRAIN MOON DRIVES

Seems like I recieved a letter from bpost (belgian postal service) this weekend which said I had to pay a certain amount of import tax in order to recieve a package. the mail however didn’t specify anything about the package. (place of origin/tracking number/cender). All it said was to pay the amount before the third of march. It only came into our mailbox on the 5th of march however so even iff I knew where it was comming from there was no way for me to pay on time. I am guessing this is for the parcel with your drives. I checked my mail again and I didn’t recieve any mail regarding the parcel neither can I find any information (no tracking number and only shows the delivery adress.) when going to the supposed tracking site linked in your mail specifiing the order confirmed. From what i can gather the parcel will be shipped back to you after failing to pay customs on time. I honestly wouldn’t realy mind having to pay delivery again if the drives would the be shipped via dhl which I have had a much better experience with.

ps: sorry fro the long somewhat ranty message in your tread.

I feel your pain. It took 1 week for customs to clear my package and get it to me.

I don’t mind adding DHL as an option for European customers, at the moment I use it for Australia and USA

3 Likes

that would be great

Here DHL uses a last mile courier which is turbocancer.

1 Like

Hi,
I have some issue with my Moon gear drive.
For the second time I broke 3 teeth on my gear, but not on the same side :sweat_smile:
My setup is a 9" MTB with 100kv 6385 motors, 16s 70A per side and 5,5 ratio.
My backlash is perfect (20 years in R/C cars).

The first time, the bolts that hold the hub plate to the gear were a little bit loose.
My conclusion is that it created a small misalignment and it snaped under load. Helical require more precision than straight cut.
Moon was kind enough to send me a new gear for free because I explained him that I followed the instruction that says to not use loctite nor over torque.

I replaced the gear, I used loctite and more torque on the same bolts with a bearing inside the hub plate to improve the support and the correct amount of shims to be flush with the hub plate (most important point when you assemble those GD).
I did everything to make it bulletproof (well, that’s what I thought…)

I was on a trail, at around 10kph and suddenly, on the top of the climb, after my back wheels took off from the ground for 0.1s at slow speed I heard a snap when I “landed”. I was not full throttle, my wheels didn’t spin like crazy at all before hitting the ground.
Needless to say that i knew exactly what happened…

My question for you guys is : is POM gear not strong enough for my torquy setup ? :disappointed_relieved:

8 Likes

perhaps it isn’t strong enough. I’ll DM you in the morning with some options so we can solve this.

9 Likes

it is a quite strong material for gears, (running 190kv, 12s 120a each side) but sudden impacts causing the wheel to stop ‘instantly’ will just blitz the teeth

1 Like

I had similiar problems. Now my drives sit in a box and I went back to belts.
8" tires. 12s 8p 190kv. Shredded those things. And the screws to the hub pate rattled out…and stripped…and ultimately dead. I got little to know help via email.

1 Like

I replied to every email (16 in total), offered a solution, (you ignored it and decided to order random parts from the site), offered to call but you didn’t have WhatsApp/Telegram…

14 Likes

12s9p with 9" tires and 200kv motors.

I had one helical tooth snap when my neighbor crashed my board but they have been solid for me otherwise :ok_hand:

Going on 1.5 years on the same gears :fist_right::wood:

5 Likes

Good to hear everyones experiences, good ajd bad. From my experience @moon has replaced any geardrive issue ive ever had, and iver ordered like 5 sets now over the years. He reaponds like immediately and problen solves because he actually cares about improving his product. Ill he running 18s 5.5:1 ratio in 135kv prolly 120a/motor soon here on his batch 7 helicals, which will be torquey affff. Keen to see how the gears hold up

9 Likes

Oooh good point.

Pulled over 200A for the first time the other day on these.

4 Likes

From my experience, i’m very happy with my Moon gear drives and the support from Moon. The customer service can’t be any better.

10 Likes

running OG straight cut here from god knows how long back. All the teeths are still present :smiley:

3 Likes

Obviously parts can have issue from manufacture, but straight up had moon reply at like 12pm after a drunk messaged him about an issue, absolute beast of a designer and got top notch customer service,
@Venom121212 is crazy how high max current can get, even on a ‘chill’ ride

3 Likes

Are you getting any batch 5 lids in at all please mate? Could do with a pair

I can add them to armattanproductions and you can order from them. Ships from Taiwan and takes 2-3 weeks to arrive

1 Like

@moon, could you add another set of threaded mounting holes on the truck mount clamp, to increase decrease the available (min) adjustment angle?

On matrix 2s on a haero (30deg tip angle i believe), the highest you can get 6374 motors is about level with the hanger. One half step/rotation up would be ideal, but the next set of holes makes the motor can hit the matrix top truck bracket during tight turns.

2 Likes

Anyone have an insert for the 11t pinions.