£260 - ALL TERRAIN MOON DRIVES

Happens to all of us, don’t sweat it.

Whoops, I deleted this post by mistake. That delete button should really ask to confirm.
Original post follows:

@moon Hm. I ground down my original grub screws a few mm and used the provided grubs in the clamps (to help locate it and hold it in place). Is this wrong and if so what is the small hole on the collar for?

In other news, I’ve made a 3d printable bumper for the gear drive casing to avoid scratching it when you prop the board up against stuff. I still need to make a retaining plate (or washers) so case bolts don’t pull through though.

lrv-bumper.stl (4.2 MB)

bumper

And here’s the assembly of the spacer w/ gaskets:

Add sealing ring for wheel adapter

Add PLA spacer

Add sealing ring for gear

Assembled on truck

I would recommend bolting everything except the wheel up to the gear/case first, then bolting the wheel to the wheel adapter. In these pictures I have the wheel adapter already bolted on (wrong).

7 Likes

I also designed a 3D printable hub spacer that is rigid and provides much more support than the little included washers.
I can share the stl / step / or solidworks part file.

My setup requires different set of fasteners tho. M4x50 for the wheels and M5x14 for the aluminium wheel adapter.
And according to @ixf my setup won’t work on v1 drive units, because you can’t flush mount the wheel adapter to the gear on v1’s. It would grind against the trucks…

I printed mine with 50% infill and they have been holding up nicely.
SPACER-8mm.stl (67.1 KB)

8 Likes

Mistakes were made; I made the bumper for the wrong side of the case! :upside_down_face:

Luckily it’s only a few minor sketch changes; will post back with a new STL file.
I also need to check if the bumper will clear the tire and thicken up the part if it’s not too much additional material.

This is why you beta test before releasing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Heh. I was literally gonna poke @DerelictRobot to see if he was making bumpers… since I think i’ve spy’d moon drives on his setup and he has been known to make other bumpers. :smiley:

I’m interested in these when you get em flipped.

2 Likes

I would need the skinny end of the case to be bumpered.
Is that what you mean? I would love one of these!

1 Like

Alright I’ve finished up the motor-side of the bumper. It’s essentially the other half to the previous bumper, I plan on printing both to protect the purrrty anodized aluminum from AT boogers.

Notes

• Clears 7" (175mm) tires to stand the board up on the motor mounts
  • 63mm diameter recess in bumper for motors (reach out if you need larger)
  • Be sure to print the correct bumpers for your drives: V1 or V2; V2 has M3 lid screws

Fitment

I can’t really comment on fitment yet as I’m still printing V1 bumpers (I unknowingly made V2 bumpers first, lucky you guys). I do have a full set of V2 bumpers and they fit very well on my V1 drives. The differences are very slight so I suspect they should fit fine on V2 drives.

Files

Front is wheel side
Back is motor side

V1

lrv1-bumper-back.stl (455.2 KB) (w/o hole for grub screw)
lrv1-bumper-back-g.stl (492.2 KB) (w/ hole for grub screw)
lrv1-bumper-front.stl (643.0 KB)

V2

lrv2-bumper-back.stl (378.8 KB) (w/o hole for grub screw)
lrv2-bumper-back-g.stl (418.5 KB) (w/ hole for grub screw)
lrv2-bumper-front.stl (4.1 MB)

Known Issues / Future Work

• The lid bolts compress the bumpers; use washers or wait for a small/thin shim plate I’ll release after testing (currently printing). Your current screws should be long enough.
  • Back bumper design isn’t ideal if you aren’t using both bumpers
    • Easily fixed; just needs to be cut shorter (ideally in your slicer)
    • I’ll remix another STL with “shortened” back-only bumpers
  • You may need to scale slightly depending on your printer/filament
    • Once I test fit my V1 bumpers I may adjust tolerances
  • I need to release some step/f3d files for you folks to remix at will

Free bumpers

Since I printed a full set of V2 bumpers I have a set to give away if you cover shipping; PM me.

15 Likes

Outstanding!

Anyone want to print some of these for a poor 3D-printer-less soul? I have new Uncirculated pics of @bindingsMcgee’s mom for payment

2 Likes

love this. and my printers broke. dernnit.

Looks great! Pop your filament in the oven at 75 degrees celsius for 40 minutes it will make the print look way better with no stringing :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

You did it!

10 Likes

Just read through about 900 of these comments, so im more caught up now - @moon when do you think 4:1 Helical Drives will be available? Also, will the price remain around 320 Euro per set as mentioned somewhere above?

4 Likes

It should be at the top be at the top right of the page. If not, you don’t have permission for some reason.

2 Likes

Some more (minor) issues to work out. Stay tuned.

1 Like

out-fucking-standing

I swear, if more people did that, this thread would be mmmaybe 100 posts :joy:

8 Likes

Not if I can help it :rofl: :joy: :upside_down_face: :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

@Cyanoacrylate

Not sure if the price will change and by how much but 4.0 is a good ratio and I would like to stock that too

5 Likes

My loctite is drying today but tomorrow will have a lot of assembly going on. Will likely need to print a spacer but that will take no time.

I can’t wait for the rest of you to get these… So much hype come true.

4 Likes

I didn’t have it at first but now I do, Thanks!!

You posted a test video and some pictures a few posts up and your deck and enclosure caught my eye - I’m pretty new to the hobby, so I’m sorry if its obvious, but what deck + enclosure is that?

2 Likes

Its hand built deck with custom artwork and my carbon enclosure. I have a build thread for it, which I haven’t updated…
While the build might look finished, I still have few things to do under enclosure.

2 Likes