200x75 Tires for science

Only downside is that they are white

3 Likes

That nylon takes paint well. Thinking of dyeing them but not sure if the nylon will deform.

For science!

Shame that the rockstar 2s are offered in so many other colors.

6 Likes

11 Likes

just waiting on the dye to arrive and i will test too :wink:

2 Likes

I hope it works out!

2 Likes

@Arzamenable
Hope is ok if I jump in

I received the test units for the hubs
This ones

And set it up on my boards for a test
Man what a grip this thing has

Now a brief description of the wheel behavior.
At first the feel of the board is a bit different but 10 to 15 minutes later this are awesome.

The ride is smoother since thickness goes over most cracks on the pavement, at medium speed (25-30 mph) this feel stable, still can’t test all out since I’m recuperating from shoulder surgery :cry:.

The best is the super grip this things provides for tight cornering are way better than the 8x2.

On the power consumption, I did a test today at Randall’s island park.
on a 8.8 miles circuit using the same board fully charging the battery on each circuit.
Recording the trip on the Xmatic app.

• first with the 200x75 fully charge board

• later with the 200x50 also with fully charge board

As you can see only a 6.5W/mi loss.
    I was expecting this to be the case since the overall diameter of the wheel has not change and the losses are due to the extra friction from the width.

The maneuverability is surprisingly not compromised by the width and the carving is superb, will need to retrain my a ankles :laughing:.

Will make a video tomorrow

22 Likes

looking awesome

5 Likes

Nice man. Can’t wait to try some of these.

4 Likes

80+ Wh/mile seems crazy high. Are you sure you weren’t ripping it hard Ernesto? I wont tell your doctor :shushing_face:

9 Likes

Considering my average is 28Wh/mi.

4 Likes

Oh never :sweat_smile:
I was behaving properly.

For legal reasons🤞
let’s just take the speed number on the screenshot as TRUE and VALID.

The main detail is the power consumption did not decreased drastically.

P.S.
you know I got a case from that accident some time ago. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :hugs:

10 Likes

What inflation pressures are you running? I have found the tire pressure alone can account for 2 Wh/Mi on bergmeisters.

4 Likes

Sunday did a nice run at Central Park, the park was not crowded as usual since people are staying home, this was great and I was able to have a nice constant speed without that many changes.

This time made sure the setting in the app for speed and distance data were set to motor and dual configuration, see picture

Gearing Settings:

Now for the run.

• Rider weight 218 pounds.
  • start fully charge battery 50.4V (XL2.0 pack), finish 2 miles after soft cut-off kicked in.
  • Loop data screenshot

Remarks

• With the XL2.0, I get 23 miles of range on that same road and similar conditions.
  • Don’t know how the Xmatic is calculating the energy consumed because it shows1,262.1Wh and the 12S-4P of 20700b on this pack is a 745Wh pack, I’ll need to get a metr app to look into this.

Conclusion still a pretty decent efficiency for the fat tires and @NullReference I checked into the pressure and increased to 50 psi this helped :+1:t2:.

5 Likes

I have bad news for you. ESCs similar to the Unity shouldn’t have double data turned on. Otherwise you managed to consume 1,262.1wh from a 700Wh pack.

You managed 33.95 Wh/Mi, which is pretty respectable for an AT board averaging 25.3mph with a top speed of 31.1mph.

How comfortable were the tires at 50PSI? I know that Bergmeisters are like rocks at that pressure.

Edit: I made this mistake on my Unity once.

4 Likes

@NullReference
The rolling was improved but the ride not very comfortable, it transfer too many vibrations.

On the app numbers is clear something is fishy there but not relevant too much since we got the data we need, mainly distance and speed.

For disclosure, I maintained a pretty stable speed which always help with the range.

1 Like

I would love to see a test between the fat tires and the skinny tires from a comfort perspective. My hypothesis is that the fat tires can reach the same comfort level as the skinny tires at a higher, more efficient tire pressure.

Test the fat tires and the skinny tires at 30psi, 40psi, 50psi, and max inflation over a bumpy and rough stretch of asphalt and rate the comfort out of ten.

The wh/mi and wh in the app looks like it’s exactly double what I’m expecting to see, so I think its the double data. @deodand can probably confirm the double data issue.

2 Likes

Have you tried the 6 X 3s on? Just wondering how would those fair with the range - they look just as grippy

Still have not give it a try
Testing a hub design for this 6x3
Still have to work some stress test but almost there.

13 Likes

Where can you find the 6x3s?

2 Likes

@APsychoticPillow. Probs if you promise to show for a race.

2 Likes