18s compatable motors

So I’m seeing a few 18s controllers pop up lately but I haven’t seen any 18s compatable motors come up I was wondering if Nyone knows where to get compatable motors for esk8 that can handle 18s?

5 Likes

does it need to be 63mm/ have the same bolt pattern

1 Like

does it need to be over 90KV?

4 Likes

Most available regular motors can be run at 18s no problem my man.

Just keep the rpm under 10k if possible and select your Kv accordingly. Hysteresis losses are negligible under 100v, however watch out for total wattage and amperage.

You can also run a high Kv motor with either high rpm rated bearings or by limiting erpm to not go above the 10k rpm roughly.

4 Likes

Hmm interesting so these 12s motors can be run higher? It’s mostly amps I want to push as well 150 amp seems to be new limits

1 Like
2 Likes

Just to make sure, your max power input to your motor won’t go higher. So if you have a 2000 watt motors, you’ll have to dial down the amps in favor of the higher voltage.

1 Like

Yeah, they heat like crazy due to core losses, but gearing it wise it will work fine

I’ve spun a 180 Kv at 16S full rpm, no issues apart from the heat

4 Likes

What did you end up doing?

Now looking for my 18s build, I see Lacroix use a 6389 130Kv, still perhaps a little high. Trying to source a 63100 or similar at 100Kv - 130Kv

Any suggestions?

Yes

https://m.fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005001803874180.html

https://m.alibaba.com/product/62171998065/Powerful-Outrunner-brushless-motor-63100-130kv.html

And you can literally contact a factory and ask for anything if you got the wallet

1 Like

Bump. Looking for some chonky 18s motors too!

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Theoretically 90kv is fine. On 18s, with 1:4.5 gear ratio, would still get around 30mph top speed, and all the torque I need/want. (shooting for mega torque here). But I can’t seem to find any motors in the 90 to 140kv range that are chonky(big enough), to be sure they won’t overheat. And not really looking to do my own battle hardening here either :sweat_smile:

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, but looking for sealed motors, and at least 6389 or larger
(I should have specified). I strongly suspect my lardy arse will overheat those 6374s with the way I ride and the slopes I hit. + lot of dirt will get in them and quickly ruin my day.

i run 190kv 6380 motors @18s :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Madman! You must be getting some crazy top speed!
I’m guessing thats for street riding too? Not off-road shenanigans

3 Likes

I would look into Lacroix 6389s! They run 18s on them and have heard good things about them. Might need an adaptor for them, but I’m sure somebody on this forum can help out with that.

1 Like

I just picked these bad boys up for my 18s build. But might be too high kv for you.

3 Likes

Thanks, the lacroix ones are deffo on the maybe list. I don’t think I will be able to gear high enough for those torque board ones, but appreciate the suggestions :pray:

The landsurf turbines look great, but for the price and the fact they aren’t even out yet… not sure its worth waiting for them. Hoping to find something comparable out there faster or for less :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Man here I was thinking my boars is going to be a torque monster :sweat_smile: you’re doing 18s, 130kv, and 6:1 right? Crazy stuff!

Can’t wait to see your finished product.