13s+ discussion

By the sound of it, the recommendation for 16S should be 130-190 kV then.

I get there are engineering trade-offs, but then it also depends on how you use it and where you want your power to be.

I don’t care much for the 0-30kph acceleration and sustained speed, and having a system that has better acceleration and capability to maintain speed in the 30-60kph range would be better for me.

At the same time I also want to be able to crank it up a notch to 80kph on occasion.

I’m asking these questions in advance because obviously if I want to build a higher Voltage esk8, I need to think it through.

Your replies have been invaluable, just wanted you to know.

@BillGordon I’m wondering whether this conversation shouldn’t be in the 13S thread instead.

2 Likes

Yes it should probably be moved, my bad for hijacking.

150 kV*12s/16s =~ 110 kV  

210 kV * 12s/16s =~ 160 kV

It won’t behave quite the same way as gearing in a car would. You will get (theoretically) flat max torque across all speeds (except maybe the last 2-5% as you approach max speed). The torque will linearly be related to the max amps set and motor kV, but changing kV will change the max amps the motor can handle. In general for a given motor design there will be a fixed max continuous torque it can output if you wind it with the same amount of copper but different kV.

You run into trouble when the ESC starts becoming the thing creating the ceiling for your maximum amps settings, then you lose torque in the system you could otherwise be enjoying.

1 Like

Watch out for thermal throttling, and watch motor temp is what I’m reading.

Yes you could back calculate from the max continuous amps of the ESC and the winding resistance what an appropriate kV would be. Additionally losing efficiency is never nice if you don’t want to go fast so then the rule is just lower the kV until your max speed is where you want it.

2 Likes

Now that I’ve taken the 2x Stormcore 100S on 20S1P LiFePO4 out for two rides, seemingly neither the 192kV 6374 SK3’s or the ESCs break a sweat.

They have plenty of power throughout the RPM range, and so far only luke warm to the touch. We’ll see how this changes as I go out for longer, faster rides.

11 Likes

Anyone have much experience with the Trampa VESC 100/250 or know of any other suitable ESC’s for an 18S setup?

Ideally wanted to go for the Stormcore 100D but it seems they’re still ironing out all the issues.

Also @shaman 's Some New FOCers (84V VESC 6 based controllers) is still under development as well. Similar story with MakerX’s 100V ESC

Are there any others out there?

1 Like

I’d say the trampa has the best resale value

3 Likes

Bumping this since the first Lacroix SS reviews are starting to come out.

At the 5:00 mark is interesting. Make of it what you will but shout out to the people who didn’t buy the 16s hype. You are more level-headed than me :joy:

1 Like

Please tell me more about your bushing settings.

Anybody can recommend a good esc for a 14s4p battery. I’ve been looking for a stormcore 100d but no luck…

1 Like

you could try a spintend ubox

2 Likes

He’s gone to the shadows. Doubt you’ll get a reply.

3 Likes

@Trampa been a while since this thread began. Have you changed your mind on HV builds?

3 Likes

Side note hes so wrong with that statement hahaha. Aged so poorly.
My setup on 12s would have piss top speed at like 26mph. I’m still able to run the same kv at higher voltage for more speed.

He’s saying this under the impression that nobody would dare run the same motors at higher voltages.

4 Likes

For all the sheeple saying HV is faster, I have three letters to say to you:

SRB

The one problem is we don’t have vescs capable of that much current, unless you plan on fixing that :eyes:makerx is the closest we’ve gotten to that.

I think a board with 2 little focers on 20s can come very close to stooge boards, at least in raw wattage they do.

4 Likes

Sure, I don’t disagree. But a lot of people get confused when its not the higher voltage enabling more power, its the higher wattage vesc. A lot of people have their motors running on the limit with 12S, and they think buying lower kv of the same motors and a less reliable HV vesc is going to unlock turbo mode.

I get mad that people think high voltage, same wattage gives more power. Seen so many people injured from blowing up HV vescs. I see far fewer failures on 12S now days, which is why I’m sticking to 12S and finding ways to increase the current with higher wattage 12S controllers.

It’s misleading to fixate on voltage. Just look at the latest makerx D series controllers, they have 3 different voltages but are all rated at the same wattage, because usually if you double the voltage of a mosfet you double its resistance and halve its current rating

9 Likes

HV can achieve a higher performance than SRB setups with higher wattage VECSs and higher voltage.

However, the amount of true high performance VESCs are limited (100-200A+ continuous; 16-24s+) .

Seems like the reason SRBs have their reputation is because of their 800kv, ~8s, and more refined, non-VESC hardware configurations.

I could kith you right now.

1 Like

Smart. Every electrical device, component and equipment will eventually fail.
This path to failure is sped-up when you apply heat.

Volts × Amps = Watts. Watts=Hp

How to make your system succeed;
Battery delivery will overpower Esc
Esc will over power Motor
Motor (geared properly) will ovepower load.

Pros and Cons to both high and low voltage.
There is a sweet spot to every approach.
@Fastboard did 80+ mph on 10s

4 Likes