10S/12S typical battery charge rates?

@Longboardshort

To add to this, most can handle 10A for 6-10seconds before the multimeters fuse pops if you plug though the high voltage port but theres a fat chance it won’t detect lower voltage currents.

Much easier to either:

*get a screened meter installed
*Make a portable voltmeter with amp reading capacity
*Use an ammeter and get reading when you place it around the charging wire

2 Likes

i think this company isnt selling them anymore but there’s other wattmeters that maybe dont suck and break:
https://www.amazon.com/RC-Electronics-Inc-Watts-Analyzer/dp/B001B6N2WK
i just add it on the end of my charge plug and get all the details on whats going in, and then can also compare watthours between voltages and can know the battery’s energy potential and state of health

1 Like

Bruh comparison detected

Just checking, I have a new charger for my 10s3p 30Q battery which is 5A. I see people running quite low for around 10s2p and 10s4p. Do you think any issues will occur from this charger?

I will need to change the wiring to work with this new charger so i’m talking with the battery itself.

You will be charging at about 1.7A per cell. That on its own shouldn’t be a problem as long as the cells in the middle of the pack don’t get more than a bit warm. Not the enclosure, the cells themselves under the tape and fish paper.

I can’t say anything about the charger and your setup though. Make sure you never exceed 4.2V per cell.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I assumed that would be the case. for the first couple of charges with this i’ll keep an eye on the pack.

1 Like

Don’t waste your precious time. Can get 4amps in each cell as max charge rate with 30Q and that’s likely conservative and if u just fast charge to 80% I bet the temp of the battery barely moves. But your connections maybe are the heat source and that transfers to the cells. https://powersupplymall.com/collections/all/products/meanwell-hlg-600h-48a-power-supply-600w-48v-12-5a-ip65

2 Likes

@Battery_Mooch Is there an issue in charging a 10S4P of P42A cells with only a 4A charger (of correct voltage of course)? The recommended amps for charging one P42A is 4A, I’m only at 25% of that for the 4P. Can it damage or make it unable to properly charge the pack?

It should never be a problem to charge at lower than the cell’s rating. In fact, it’s a good way to help extend the life of the pack.

That 4A charge rating for the P42A isn’t a “recommended” level. It’s just the “standard” charge rate specification. You can go above it to charge faster (up to 8A for the “rapid” charge rate) or you can stay below the standard rate to help your cells last longer.

1 Like

Thanks Mr. Smarty Farts!

(For real, thank you for the knowledge you spread on this forum.)

2 Likes

@Battery_Mooch I was thinking(dangerous I know right!) If i wanted to prolong the life of a pack, I’ve heard that only charging to 80% will achieve optimum cycles. So if this is true would there be any use in building an 11s or 12s pack and charging it with a 10s charger? I feal like there’s probably some really obvious reason why this is a shitty idea but tbo it’s kinda making sense to me in my head🤔

I tried so hard to find QUALITY 1A 10S chargers a couple years ago and was unsuccessful.

I’d say the range definitely starts at 2A, and 4A seems very common.

1 Like

10S max voltage is 42V, which on a 12S is 3.5V each cell, which is close to empty since voltage falloff is nonlinear. 11S is more reasonable at 3.8V, but you’re missing out on a ton of capacity.

3 Likes

Ahh, Maths shoulda probably thought to do some before asking! I thought there would be some reason why it wasn’t the greatest idea, or people would already do it. Cheers @frankthedragon

What @frankthedragon said. :slightly_smiling_face:
Charging to a lower voltage can help extend the life of the pack if you are not otherwise abusing it but you can lose a lot of capacity (riding time) depending on what voltage you charge to.

I don’t have riding time vs. voltage estimates, you’ll have to experiment.

1 Like

Cheers @frankthedragon and @Battery_Mooch would I be right in thinking that it would also stop the bms from balancing the pack?
Ps Sorry for the derail on the topic

1 Like

Every 5th ride, just charge to full voltage.

4 Likes

Yes, choosing a lower charging voltage could keep the BMS from balancing the pack. You’ll need to check the BMS settings. @mutantbass has the solution for that though. :grin:

5 Likes

The other problem with this is how standard BMS’s work. The majority of them “top balance” meaning they don’t do a single thing until cells hit around 4.15V. If you’re only charging to 80% you will never hit this level and the cells will never be rebalanced so as soon as they start to drift you’ll encounter problems.

The solution to this, which already exists is just to use a programmable BMS. So, you can have the balancing turn on at a voltage that the pack will hit, and have a nice happy balanced pack.

*edit didn’t even scroll down far enough to see mooch had already said that :slight_smile:

5 Likes

2x 5s lipos at 30% been on for 1hr40min so far and light is still red(42v 2A yzpower), should it have been done by now?