10mm bearings on street wheels not lasting

I am tearing up bearings running street wheels on 10mm axles. I am having bearings wear out every 50-100 miles (grinding feeling when rotating and or high rolling resistance). My boards with 8mm bearings are much more resilient. Are others having issues 10mm bearings and what bearings are others running?

I am 160lbs, running a Onsra Black Carve 3 (BC3), and use Momentum Hollow Wheels Pro.

I have been using Fast Eddy 10x22x7 Rubber Sealed Bearing 6900/W7-2RS

I have found 10mm ceramic bearings but they are $10 each bearing!

2 Likes

Most people aren’t having this experience. Are you running bearing spacers? How fast do you ride?

2 Likes

I don’t ride fast, 15 is normal for me. I tighten the wheel nut until it is tight then loosen about a quarter turn but make sure there is no play.

I am running these 10mm x 10mm bearing spacers

And these 10mm x 1mm “speed” washer

I had my over 1.5k miles on uxcell 10mm bearings before they blew. 50-100 miles seems problematic in comparison.

2 Likes

I run these without issues, never had a failure. Not sure if the size will work for your hubs though

uxcell 16100-2RS Deep Groove Ball… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RTHRNPF?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

3 Likes

Interesting, those are 8mm wide, that is 1mm wider than a standard street wheel bearing but should not be an issue, more area to distribute load. Thanks for the link I will give them a try.

Those unfortunately won’t work for urethane wheels. They’re 28mm OD instead of the 22mm you need

4 Likes

My mistake, I missed the fact you’re using thane

I’ve been running the 6900rs on my 115s which measure 10x22x6 and have them in my 160 pneumatics.

Here’s a 2 pack “ceramic” for $12

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Bearing-6900-2RS-10x22x6mm-61900/dp/B0759MYJTK/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?adgrpid=105805992374&hvadid=580737931093&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9001695&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=1813211037139985191&hvtargid=kwd-514982108830&hydadcr=16934_13421113&keywords=6900-2rs+bearing&qid=1682296640&sr=8-4

1 Like

I’m also destroying bearings using 10mm axles and needing a 12mm bearing seat. Going through about a set every 3 months. Using spacers even.

They just don’t make them as good as they make real skate bearings.

3 Likes

Oh, I didn’t catch the outside diameter of the bearings you posted being larger. I think the small bearing is part of the problem of why I am tearing up the bearings; the bearing area has to be a lot smaller to fit street 22mm bearing size wheels on a 10mm axle. Or maybe if others are not having an issue I got a bad batch as they have all been from one order from FastEddy and have not gone through all of them to have to reorder.

3 Likes

Find a nano ceramic grease and lube up the bearings with that if you want zealous like bearing quality. Shouldn’t require anything further and last 1500-2000mi before replacing.

2 Likes

What kind of conditions are you riding in?

2 Likes

Do all the wheels spin freely? There shouldn’t be any resistance to spinning once they are installed correctly

1 Like

I get around 800mi out of my 10x22x7 fast eddys.

Curious if the hallow wheels put extra lateral load on them. Or if the bearing seats are spaced a little further out than the standard 10mm.
If you have any resistance when fully tightened, then your axel isnt fully stacked, which points to bearing seat distance being off. Adding a speed ring innwith the 10mm spacer can cure this if thats the issue.

4 Likes

My Hollow Wheels Pro do not have tight bearing spacing and if I crank down the axle nut they don’t spin freely. I think a speed ring along with the spacer might help

3 Likes

You should always use a spacer and speed rings. This allows for the bearing to spin freely.

1 Like

I am using the below spacers and the speed washers posted above. When I really clamp down on the nut there is some resistance to the wheel spinning but not much.

Make sure the nut and spacer isn’t touching the rubber seal when tightened. If so, add a speed ring to give clearance.
Should be hanger wall>speed ring>bearing>spacer>bearing>speed ring>nut
Also make sure there is complete contact between the bearing and the spacer. Add speed rings to fill whatever gaps.

I love built-in bearings since you never have to worry about spacers and speed rings but they are usually only available for standard 8mm 608’s sadly. Would love to see a push for zealous to produce a built-in 10mm bearing for the esk8 community. I’d finally make the switch to using 10mm axels if those ever became a thing.

3 Likes

Yup, that is the layout I have. I will go through the setup and try to see if something is off on the tolerances that is causing uneven loading.

The Seismic Skate 10mm bearings I posted on the first post have built in spacers but they are very expensive.