YTP Apex Super Predator

@ducktaperules @ApexBoards this system is fucking amazing :heart_eyes: Can you please give me see tips on how to care for the chains?

4 Likes

@Lee_Wright is the chain master.
Keep on top of tension and oil occasionally is my thoughts.

2 Likes

Oiling after a ride so that the chain doesn’t just sit and collect rust when not in use is something I would do back when I cycled in the rain a lot.

2 Likes

Yooooo Lee here

As above really. Keep on top of the tension as the chains stretch out, you’ll notice they creep along the adjustment of the mounts for about 4/5ths of the travel and then they stop stretching.

I personally oil before every ride, just brush the chains down to remove dry mud and then I drop some chain oil over the motor sprocket as I spin the wheel by hand, doesn’t need much.

That’s it really, pretty tough stuff.

3 Likes

i can HIGHLY recommend coating them in chain wax. and excessive use of stretched chains will wear the pinion faster

4 Likes

Does it stay on the chain well? Does it sling off? My biggest problem I have had with chains and oils has been the oil slinging on my pants occasionally

3 Likes

I made the mistake of wearing a white sweater during the first spin up of my board and it slung oil across the room right into me :rofl:

2 Likes

you melt the wax and dip the chain into the pot and let excess drip off. it sticks to the chain, lubricates it and makes it run quieter. i’ve found the wax doesn’t fling off but oil does

4 Likes

Im not sure if this is a good idea or a bad idea but I can say i’ve been running the same chains since April 2021 without issue. I did go through a set of motor sprockets but these were stock off the shelf ones and not the hardened ones we have. I actually don’t know how long our ones will last as I haven’t worn a set out, maybe @Yeahthatperson could be the first to do so

2 Likes

You mean when @yeahthatperosn wears one out

3 Likes

depends on how often you ride and in what condition. i’ve run the same chains for over a year however during winter i was going thru chains ~500miles and motor sprockets ~1000miles, which a strip down and chain replace every 4 weeks. i HAVE NOT tried apexs hardened motor sprockets (tbh i believed they came teeth hardened from suppliers)

1 Like

Off the shelf chain on the left and Apex Chain on the right (ever so slightly darker due to anti rust coating)

Off the shelf Sprocket not coated

Ends up looking like this

Apex Sprocket

5 Likes

Oooo whats the anti rust coating your chains have?

1 Like

Anti rust :smiley:

im not sure how good it is yet, now the crappy weather is here we will find out but I hope it helps a little

4 Likes

Definitely looks like black oxide, which, if applied correctly, should be great except the teeth, but if the chain is well lubed, no worries. A well applied black oxide is great where there is no moving parts on them…
Black oxided screws “normally”suck for anti rust, as most screw manufacturers run them in huge batches, and don’t really fully clean the oil used to manufacture them. When the black oxide process is done correctly, like I assume they would be with these, :+1:t3:

2 Likes

The chains and the sprockets have different finishes. The motor sprockets look particularly dark on that photo but they aren’t that dark IRL, they have been case hardened and then coated.

Anyways, we’ve created a serious derail on @Yeahthatperson’s thread!

3 Likes

Definitely useful info to link in other threads :joy:

1 Like

I break everything. I tell people, they don’t believe me. They always say, this is too tough to break. Then I break the things. No things are safe from me. Your things may be tough, but they are never Yeahthatperson proof!!

Pours one out for this chain, almost made it through 5 shred sessions. Poor thing did not know it came to Seattle SNR just to die :pouring_liquid:

5 Likes

Any ideas why it might’ve broke?

Idk 100% but I think a pressed link was loose.

These chains don’t have a master link. SNR can be aggressive, but I was kinda chill this ride, I heard a tiny high pitched ting that I think was part flying off, seconds later the chain dropped.

Checked the other chain, no signs of looseness. Ordered some master links to first fix this, second have an emergency backup. On my other chain boards I carry a couple extras because I have broken master links before. But my other boards are all 25h and these are metric and 2x as thiccc ISO 06B

2 Likes