Yet another hoverboard to onewheel project

I have a problem with finding new hoverboard :confused: i bought already 2 of them and both are with this newer hardware with separated boardsā€¦ I this it will be impossible to run 2 motors in sync from 2 different processors where UART is a synchronization protocolā€¦

Today I will try to buy another one but I am loosing hope :confused:

Can you buy just the control board for the hoverboard on ebay? In the US they are about $40-50. Might be better than buying hoverboards not knowing whatā€™s inside.

I get the next one and finally it had correct electronic, this time I am adding additional antispark protection between battery and the board, I hope it will prevent future explosionsā€¦

2 Likes

Hi @bula87 and @Vfear,
I have been following you guys on here and I am trying to get my DIY onewheel working a bit better with a flashed hoverboard motherboard.

I have no idea when it comes to programming, but what you guys have been talking about sounds awesome!
I can flash my motherboard. Do either of you guys have a working bin or hex file i can flash my motherboard with, that will work with either a flashed or original sideboard?

Thanks heaps

Has anyone implemented this on the split hover board ESC, or just the single one? I recently got a few hover boards with the split PCB, and am beginning to modify some code to work with them.

1 Like

As I cant find another hoverboard with single motherboard I am thinking about using splitted version, no idea if synchronization between motors will be possible but worth to try

There are 3 projects that were successfully able to use the split ESC type. My ESCā€™s look a bit different then the ones in this project, so Iā€™m going to verify the pinout and then try to modify the code to work. https://github.com/flo199213/Hoverboard-Firmware-Hack-Gen2

1 Like

Yes, I managed to flash this code and was working but every board is running only one motor, and for onewheel application they should be pretty sync, i didnā€™t try it yet but I am planning

1 Like

Do you have a working code for the single motherboard with 2 side boards version?
I flashed mine, but now my onewheel doesnā€™t work and I canā€™t find a code to flash it with to make it work again

@bula87
I think these boards (1 main board) are the best choice, and the price is good in our city for $10

5 Likes

Lol why is that pictures look so funny to me :laughing:

3 Likes

@bula87 Hi, anything new?

Sorry I was at long holidays, but I am back, today I bought another hoverboard with single mainboard. I am giving it the last chance, if it will explode again without any reason I will give up and buy VESC :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hello,

I have found this https://github.com/bipropellant/bipropellant-hoverboard-api . Has anyone tried to implement it for onewheel purposes? I am currently trying to find a way to use everything from hoverboard because prices skyrocketed for electronics and therefore there is no possibility to buy VESCā€¦ It would be great if there were understandable code for sideboards that we could modify with better balance features and control the angle/speed.

I remember that I tried this code but there was something wrong with it. Donā€™t remember what but in the end I gave up. The code for sideboards from official FOC firmware is pretty clean and there is a lot of cpu power to add more features

Well, my programming skills are not that good so it is kinda hard to experiment :smiley: Currently, I have one sideboard which is connected to both inputs of the motherboard. So you are saying that I could flash the motherboard with FOC firmware as well as my sideboard and try to modify that sideboard firmware (from FOC GitHub for sideboards)? I would leave it as it is now, but it is very inconvenient to drive as for higher speeds the board needs to be at a pretty aggressive angle and it can nosedive anytimeā€¦

For now there is no any officially working balancing algorithm for foc firmware, so for now better to do not experiment with it, if my hardware wonā€™t explode again, this weekend I will work a bit on this.

2 Likes

6 Likes

@bula87 how is the project going? maybe i can help you with something? very interesting for meā€¦

@bula87 look at it (ā€œArduino codeā€ and ā€œSide Projectsā€(lite version))
https://www.cammservices.com/projects/onewheelboard

itā€™s interesting to get data output from arduino to hoverboard, what do you think? in his program, the nose of the board rises when picking up speed

ā€¦ or adapt this code to stm32

1 Like