[WTS][US] Paperclip (no pictures) great price

Just created the category “In This Corner.” So derail scraps like this and other showdowns have a place to live.

Maybe an enterprising newer mod might want to take a shot at splitting this epic showdown into a “multiple receivers discussion” topic there.

8 Likes

Wow this has been fun! I missed a lot! Welcome everyone To the latest episode of jerry springer, a jugalo, an engineer, and some weird dude talk about radios and the meaning of life!

6 Likes

@DerelictRobot end of the drive, don’t come on the property.

2 Likes

You sure you want to delegate? He’s been slacking on his internet courses lately…this will take weeks for him to do it

3 Likes

It’s in progress, he’s just gotta find the right keys.

Love you dad!

1 Like

Ouch. Got him right in the place where it hurts us regular fellows. Thank god for his vesc-driven fleshlight accident.

1 Like

If I was wrong that’d be one thing, but I’m overwhelmingly correct about multiple receivers being better. Just face it, you’re terrible at taking criticism.

Just agree to disagree and do your own thing, why bother arguing :rofl:

Personally, id only entertain the idea of dual receivers if they were doing the exact same thing, i would not want a receiver independently on each vesc as Id rather both fail at once than a single side (And twice as likely), at least it would make it easier to stay on my board. If i was having failures id include a second in the enclosure i could manually switch over, and then question my choice of receiver and/or my workmanship. Every DIY board and riding style is different though, there is so much drag from the belts on my board it brakes pretty quick naturally, and from experience having one side fail on MY board when accelerating makes it impossible to stay on.

3 Likes

How many RC receivers actually fail vs. loses signal? I’d venture to say insignificant vs. quite often.

So for me the question then turns into, since signal travels at the speed of light, and receivers won’t be more than 1m/3.2ft apart, why does one fail before the other?

Assuming that the most common failure is due to signal saturation or overpowering in the same band.

2 Likes

Imperial system is better than metric.

:::waits to see the fall out:::

is A really useful? we need B somehow.

3 Likes

I’m just cutting receivers completely out next, going hardwired. Beats getting chucked off your board because the signal got overpowered.

Also, no transmitter battery charge to worry about.

2 Likes

what if a dog eats your wire tho? :joy:

4 Likes

I don’t have dogs. If a dog is chasing me, last thing I’m worried about is my effin receiver wire. I’ll just carry a spare, how about that?

sir you have clearly thought this through. much respect. :pray:

2 Likes

We’ll see. First I have to get it to work.

which is more likely to retain some braking ability at all times… a single receiver leading to 2 vescs or 2 receivers each leading to one vesc? if the second option is not braking redundancy I don’t know what is.

2 Likes

Man! You guys are making me crave popcorn early in the morning. :frowning:

I think redundancy is nice. But not something done is a halfassed hacky way. Ideally, there should be code running on the VESCS/ separate redundant controllers that doesn’t execute any command that might throw off the person and should brake safely should anything go wrong. Every possible input scenario has to be fleshed out and a mapping should exist for safe command execution. That’s how it’s done on cars and that’s how it’s done on rockets. They are always talking to each other and know each other’s status and the redundant unit takes over when the main one stops working.

3 Likes

:arrow_up: this. So much this.

Once you’ve experienced a remote disconnect on single receiver versus dual receiver, there is no more doubt in your mind which setup is better.