[WTB - UK] RC7 / V7 remote

Using the dickyho ESC and the stock remote (RC5), has a bit of a deadzone and the newer RC7 is supposed to eliminate that. I can get it for slightly over 43$ shipped from MBoards, but wanted to see if I can get one for cheaper from anyone else as I’m not in a rush.

I have an rc6 if you want

If you want a truely massive throw, i have a few NR remotes. They are pretty big but you cant beat the throw on them

According to the internet there is also some dead zone on RC6. Is that correct?

1 Like

The NR seems to be for Hobbywing, so it is not compatible

Nah, its yingli and hobbywing. I have both versions.

What do you mean by a deadzone

There is a bit of space around the centre where moving the trigger a bit does not do anything. So before it starts accelerating or braking, you have to move the trigger a bit.

I realised a friend is in China so I’ll see if he can get me one from Taobao, but if not I’ll get back to you as otherwise I would be interested.

If the VESC is configurable, you can set the deadzone to be lower.

I never noticed that when I used it but not sure

It is not for a VESC. I think these ESCs are made by Lingyi.

Then documentation might show you more…

You can adjust the deadband on some of them if you open it up there is a dial for it.

Just opened it up, there is no trim pot at all. The potentiometer from the throttle is set up as a voltage divider and fed straight into the microcontroller, so I assume the deadband is set up in firmware.

I got my RC7 remote and it is a massive improvement over the old RC5 that I had. The throw is quite large, and there is no noticeable dead zone, although it still uses a pot instead of hall sensors and a magnet.

Also the customer support from Taobao is insane. I messaged the seller to ask how to adjust the brake sensitivity on the remote, and they replied instantly even though it was 11pm in their timezone. If that will ever help anyone in the future, the remote has 4 brake sensitivity levels, to adjust it push the trigger down to brake and then press the power button. The leds on the remote will show the current strength. I could not find this information anywhere on the internet in English, except diyeboard website which explained it wrong.

1 Like

Does this improve the braking? Many people complain of harsh braking on this ESC.

Yes, the braking is quite a bit smoother. However I wish there was an ever stronger profile, as even on the strongest brakes they feel a bit weak comparednto the RC5 remote