WTB laser cut grip tape

I want to regrip on of my boards and want a laser cut grip tape. Any of you chaps/lads/whatever have a mad laser cut game and you can sell me some of your grippy goodness. The image I want is…

Blue or navy grip…
220mm wide or if you still use imperial “1 6/38s king’s forearms”

Pm me…

1 Like

You can do that with a pen knife and some patience. I used to do a lot of that, its actually not a bad process.

Draw it out on the back of the grip or use a stencil. slowly, without too much down pressure, trace along the pattern with the pen knife. It typically takes 2 or 3 runs with the pen knife.

This is the only pic I can find off hand, but this was done with a carpet knife :slight_smile:.

10 Likes

There’s also @murdomeek’s shop:

2 Likes

Doesnt @esk8supply also do custom grip tape?

1 Like

Thanks Mike I will give it a shot.:taco::taco::taco:

1 Like

No worries, if you weren’t so far away Id just do it for you. I’ve had bad luck shipping to Australia so, prolly best to not temp the gods :slight_smile:.

Lol no more sacrifices to the postage gods. Working in technology my mind always goes for the HiTech answer. Grabbing so grip tape from the local skateshop today. It can’t be any worse than the enclosure I made this week.

1 Like

Reviving this thread for just a moment. I now have access to a laser cutter and I’m wondering if anyone has actually tried to cut grip tape with a laser? Does it work or does it just result in really black goopy horrible looking edges?

Thanks,

I have a CO2 laser at work I’m planning on (trying to) cut some Vicious grip tape with. Not sure when yet because I haven’t done my design yet but I’ll let you know if it’s an epic fail or glorious victory.

I’ve cut grip tape no problem with a 5w diode laser. if I were to do it again, I would probably do it rough side down.

Just make sure to do a material test grid so you can see what settings give you the best cut

4 Likes

Thanks, I’ll give it a try rough side down.

It works well with the rough side down. Just make sure to run a power test to avoid scorching

1 Like

Well, that couldn’t have possibly worked out better. We nailed it on the first try. Apparently the key is, as you folks recommended here to put it paper side up, configure the laser cutter for “construction paper” with a thickness of 040 and it made a remarkably clean cut all the way around, including a lot of sharp corners.

Interestingly the black grip tape cut more thoroughly than the blue grip tape, so I’d say maybe increase the thickness a bit more (045?) when cutting Blue.

Here’s the machine

Here’s a vid of the machine in action (hopefully this works this time, last time it didn’t)

** If you can’t view this video please let me know, and let me know how normal mortals post videos on this forum? **

And here’s the feet. Sorry, no Teal.

5 Likes

End result

3 Likes

Cool, good to know. I also have a ULS CO2 laser so I’ll use your settings to work with. How many watts is your? Ours is 75W if I remember right.

I’m not positive, but I think it’s got a 30 Watt laser