[WTB]$700 Budget Board

Sure. go ahead.

1 Like

I used to get about 12 miles of riding but now I consistently get about 5-6 before it’s on like 25%. Hub motors are skinny af due to me sliding and abusing it. And that plastic esc enclosure keeps breaking but I just keep regluing it every ~50 miles

3 Likes

Yeah if you don’t get a mountainboard I would recommend getting a nice deck + enclosure (pricey) personally one I’m looking at is a Century 40 and enclosure from @eBoosted but that’s close to $300 all said and done throwing in the gaskets and foam and crap. Oh actually I’m kinda waiting for them to make a esk8 special board with a cutout.

Then slowly building something around it as you get funds to do so.

Could start off with a deck and maybe battery swap and put the meepo parts on there.

Wish you luck on your purchases. I don’t like thinking about ho much I spend while I have nothing working smh.

2 Likes

the BKB kit @yelnats8j recommended is quite similar and it is also the same deck. If you want a board like the one @DerelictRobot was selling buy the kit.

(the kit: https://buildkitboards.com/products/kit)

3 Likes

Tell this to the legions of tire kickers that sent inquiries on it.

No good deed. And no, it’s no longer for sale. I gave away the deck/enclosure/battery to a friend and am just repurposing the rest.

@Africanspam With a $700 budget either pick up an Exway prebuilt or the BKB kit. The BKB kit is probably the best value on the market and is very easy to build. I don’t think you’ll find much else for that price as a custom prebuilt unless it’s someone’s used beater.

4 Likes

Maybe can getting a neoONE :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The dual motor kit really looks enticing right now

2 Likes

Here’s the advice I’ve given a few people looking to jump in:

You can go and spend a couple hundred on a goodcheapfun Exway and it’ll likely do you just fine for the first few months, but if you enjoy the sport like so many of us obsessively do, you’ll eventually want to build your own. Unless you’re @BillGordon, our resident pro sponsored Exway rider, building his monument to compromise.

The time it takes to build this kit is valuable learning experience, you have other builds on here to follow, community help, and excellent support from @BuildKitBoards.

I think the BKB choice is the better choice long-term, but if you’re itching to get riding go with a good cheap prebuilt such as the Exway.

Third option: buy the cheapest used POS you can find, learn why they suck, and use it as motivation to buy/build your next.

8 Likes

@Africanspam I think buying a board (like an Exway) would be smarter if you are trying to get into DIY. My reasoning is:

1. building your first board can be quite frustrating.
  2. when you are making a DIY board you still have a board you can use just in case something goes.
  3. it’s dipping you toes in the water before you take a plunge.
5 Likes

Solid advice. I am really interested in building one because I want to be on the same level as some of you guys in here (might take a while with a student budget but I’ll get there… in time). Definitely got the BKB dual in the back of my head but I’m going to see what parts are available since I know there’s a few people selling them. I could just get my parts and wait to put them together until I get my tools back. Contemplating hard af at 2:30 am. That’s what quarantining will do to you

5 Likes

Despite the unbridled hate targeting me, this is great advice.

4 Likes

Yes, my dude. This is the way. Always have that one board that you can ride while you build/fix/improve your DIY.

6 Likes

I said pro sponsored Billiam, what do you want from me?

4 Likes

I gotcha. I’m definitely prepared for the struggle of DIY. I read the message about starting it and I have followed some of you guys, your builds, and your advices. I’ve combed through this forum and the old one before I made my parts list to see what specifications I need to make sure my first DIY runs. Honestly, the main reason I got into DIY was because I’ve seen some you guys’ builds and thought “They weren’t kidding when it said ‘This is where innovation happens’” Lowkey look up to some of the builders here and hope I’ll get that good and smart at this hobby

4 Likes

This is the best advice anyone can give to someone getting started. Even if it’s a cheap POS, it’s better than having nothing.

Having a board to ride so you don’t feel rushed to finish your first DIY = invaluable. Even if it means putting off your first DIY.

5 Likes

I also came here for the humor. You guys are def way more laid back than the FB group. Put out one small wrong piece of info and some of them try to jump at your throat. Like dude relax. It was autocorrect…

3 Likes

@Sender is practically an esk8 celebrity on Facebook.

He loves those guys. So much.

He’s the admin of “Esk8 Griptape Enthusiasts” on there, look them up.

6 Likes

that happens here too…

4 Likes

Literally griptape Jesus. I’ve been following him on here too. The build forums are literally like my sports. I just hop in there and see what people are churning out and comparing them and hopefully copying some parts of them for my own build once this whole virus thing stops messing with shipping issues

3 Likes

Shut the fuck up A-RON.

4 Likes