With Morning Comes Mistfall

I got the SKP 205kv hooked in a few days ago. Been loving them.

1 Like

Got everything running today, programmed my settings, switched on HFI, and tied back the sensor cables until I have the motivation/parts to fix them. Took it for a quick spin around the parking lot, and it feels great!

The lowered deck feels awesome, its crazy how much of a difference it makes. I’m going to have to completely re-tune my trucks for this new lower ride feel.

The new gears sound and feel great. The backlash on my old helical gears was pretty large, so it was very clicky and clattery at low speed. The super tight mesh on these straight cuts pretty much eliminates low speed clicking, and the gears sound hardly louder than helical! Maybe that will change once I get up to speed, but all in all I’m very satisfied so far.

The motors also sound great! HFI is a satisfying hum, and once they’re running they sound really smooth without that scream that flipskys have. No clue about performance yet as I have not got any real time on them, but I’m super excited to have Mistfall on the road again! Definitely going to skate in to work tomorrow, and hopefully every day after that! Its a 40 mile round trip, so it’s pretty punishing on me and my board. Definitely a good proving ground for new hardware!

Also, big thanks to @jack.luis for suggesting a spray on dry lube to eliminate the annoying squeaking coming from my Hypertruck bushings and kingpin. Mistfall turns carves silent now!

10 Likes

I finally have the answer of what phase resistance these motors detect at lol.
11mOhm is fantastic for copper losses.

10A is really high to spin up on a bench, curious if it’s the motors or the drives, but it’s too late to find out xD
Inductance seems unreasonably low and Ld-Lq delta is nonexistent?

How does 12s13p fit in there with the VESC? Is it a tight fit?

1 Like

It was just the motors, I had not assembled the drives yet.

I’m not smart enough to comment on these :man_shrugging:

Its a very tight fit. It actually might not fit :joy: But I’m already committed to building the battery, so we’ll see.

2 Likes

Might need to sand the sides a lil bit to get it to fit. Other wise, loving your red and black theme. Im also going with a red and black for mine.

3 Likes

Damn you really made the exact same build :joy: Why did you decide to do a second enclosure for the ESC?

1 Like

Didnt know if the battery and Vesc was going to fit in the same box, so I went with 2.

2 Likes

What battery? Looks like you have the same box as me, and it’s roomy as fuck especially in the lid.

1 Like

I have a 12s12p P42a in there.

2 Likes

Nice! Yeah you would have had plenty of space for electronics in the lid. I’m a strong advocate for putting everything in a single box, I really hate separate ESC boxes. There’s no good justification for them in my opinion.

4 Likes

This was my first build so I would rather keep them separate to keep the wiring easier to deal with.

Uh how about not having umbilical cords of wires or having a MASSIVE middle box lmao

Sensor wire extension alone is enough for me to not want my esc in the batt enclosure

(that being said I have plans to make a version of my top box with esc support :upside_down_face:)

2 Likes

I’ve got a set of @Skyart motors from the same batch as you. Are those wires something to worry about long term? Should I swap them out?

Currently have everything running through a tunnel riser and it’s a pretty tight fit…

2 Likes

That tunnel riser looks nice tho, very clean.

1 Like

Thats unavoidable though. You either extend your motor wires or your battery wires. Sure, extending two battery wires is easier but its also adding a ton of inductance into the circuit which can cause all kinds of electrical problems/VESC faults.

Extending motor wires causes exactly zero electrical problems, because the amount of inductance they add to the circuit is insignificant compared to the inductance of the motor. As long as you extend your motor wires smart, they are extremely robust.

The only top box Ive ever seen that didnt have space for an ESC was @JoeyZ5’s polycarb beauty that was completely tailored for the battery he had in it. Pretty much every Pelican-style case has plenty of space in the lid. (and a pelican style case is what I was discussing here).

4 Likes

I wish I could answer that. If your wire bend radius is large, and there isnt any tugging/bending around sharp corners, then it’s probably fine. I would just feel better if it was good fine-strand wire.

I considered trying to replace it, but that sounded like more trouble than it is worth.

1 Like

It’s been proven that this is not an issue at the lengths our battery cables are

1m of 10awg cable only adds 1.32µH of inductance, barely anything

Hm I suppose. I still would rather not because of the sensor wires

Anyway carry on lol I’m just defending my decisions, and like my rear enclosures

That shit is for the birds

Extending sensor wires > losing space on the deck imo

1 Like