Why is no one making / selling top mount enclosures?

This is similar to what I had in mind. small PCB modules, size to be determined, with one side attached to the deck with rubber spacers, and the other free to slide, maybe either a teflon insert on the PCB and board side

I can’t believe I lost that, or can’t figure out where I saved

1 Like

From my point of view, the cases for vesc or battery box are still not developed nice and optimal to the function. What will help to change it?

1. People need to be able pay for development of it (as part of price instead of buy pelicase etc.)
  2. CNC technology must be changed to injection molding. Just need to invest in to aluminum tool will be enough. This kind of tools are normally using for smaller lots series where accurate is not so much important. For example bicycles mudguards etc.
    3.need to be used knowledge how to do it cheap ( people from automotive know what Iam talking about)
    4.and last but very important is to have designers (artist) who will propose nice longtime design.

All will come in right time. It is just question of time I hope :slight_smile: just in case that chines brands will start to produce truth Mountainboard , All described on top can be difficult to realize for small vendors.

6 Likes

Lol okay

Got a spare 10k?

Ehh?

That’s where we come in and show off our wares. People will pick what they think looks best

10k? Depend on design. If You compare it with value of final parts it is reasonable. Iam not sure from where You have it. Now I double check it and for middle or east Europe it could be around this value. Question is how much it can be in China.

For an injection mold?

1 Like

I corrected my reply :+1:

2 Likes

I have to imagine it would be at least 5k for a brand new injection mold

Making enclosures out of injection molded nylon would be pretty strong though

2 Likes

To be honest Iam thinking a long tíme if it make a sense to produce it from Self-extinguishing plastic. The same materials using for electrical boxes. Maybe for Vesc box it make a sense , but in case of battery box the battery it self are the issue. Have anybody from electrical field some remarks?

1 Like

@Battery_Mooch

1 Like

Makes sense. Multiple plastics, including nylon can be used. Using a UL Listed self-extinguishing plastic can help with marketing and liability.

Flame arresting screens can also be used to allow air cooling but prevent flames escaping.

Another option is lining the box with mineral cloth, fiberglass, or a similar substance. Slots, indents, etc., can be incorporated into the box’s interior to facilitate this.

I’d love to see it lined with a heat sensitive compound of some type, expanding or foaming when heated in order to fill the enclosure and block off oxygen. It can’t stop the thermal runaway reactions but once those are over it could help stop the fires that continue to burn.

My worry is that a compound like this would be hundreds of dollars a gallon, if it even exists. Can’t imagine I thought of this on my own though, I must have seen it mentioned somewhere before.

Up to 2 liters of gas per Ah of capacity can be created though for each cell that goes into thermal runaway. That would be 100 liters of gas for just ten high-capacity 21700’s in runaway.

Preventing the box from exploding from the pressure is critical. Fairly easily done using rubber blow-out seals, and the like, but must be considered.

6 Likes

https://www.tapesolutions.saint-gobain.com/na/products/gasketing-foams/polyurethane/intumescent-foam

7 Likes

Yup, thanks!
That tape would be great for sealing smoke and fumes into a space and preventing spread of a fire outside of the box.

We have to vent our battery boxes but I’m wondering if this tape could be used to expand and close off a vent once the fire had gotten to a certain point. Once the thermal runaway reactions stop, and tons of gas isn’t being produced, the remaining fire/heat would expand the tape and close off the vents to cut off oxygen to the fire.

5 Likes

I was just planning to put as many as I could on my baseplate. Starting with the more popular.

1 Like

6 Likes

that looks really nice, will you be selling these soon?

3 Likes

If everything goes to plan…

1 Like

Aluminium base plates on both ESC and Battery enclosures. Aluminium-Composite panel walls.

Can do custom sizing and colours

More info at www.coremtb.com.au

9 Likes