Why is no one making / selling top mount enclosures?

Oh, it absolutely isn’t ‘good looking’. I mean, that was the run of the thread I linked to - there just fucking aren’t any good looking top-mounts. I do agree with @PixelatedPolyeurthan that it makes for a promising basis though.

What would need to change? If a less 2D lid could be made/manufactured - maybe something machined & anodised like the 3DS stuff or 3d printed, would that make enough of a difference?

1 Like

I 100% get the appeal and am on your side. Cheap, waterproof, easy, to work with, comes in tons of sizes, readily available. Lots of check marks.

…diy junction boxessss…

2 Likes

I hope building for a business is still fun, people assume operating an excavator with a thumb that for all the world looks and functions like an extension of my hand is fun. It was at the beginning, now it’s just a job, but I do LOVE when the kids gather and watch like I’m some kind of mechanical robot pilot (the satisfaction of their joy when I stop and wave or on rare occasions can let them sit in the seat for a pic NEVER GETS OLD) if you love your work you are a rich man

3 Likes

Sitting at work next to this while reading this thread :joy:

Exactly what I have tried to avoid :joy:

16 Likes

There’s one box i didn’t put on my box list, but it k8nda falls under ‘functional’… it needs to be tough! I like the idea of junction boxes but i just can’t see how they would be strong enough… keep in mind, i am prone to crashing at high speed :sweat_smile:

I’ve toyed with the idea of adding rounded corners to these hard edged boxes that could maybe be printed with TPU or cast with polyurethane or similar to serve the purpose of both aesthetics (by breaking that hard edge) and toughness (by protecting that hard edge).

The problem is that adds complexity and it no longer is as easy to make because it adds a whole new component(s) to the box.

But yeah for sure, i think the addition of stuff like that could be an improvement in some areas

2 Likes

Carbon fiber is usually a poor choice for skateboards. Try glass fiber, dyed black if you wish.

It’s also comical how often this comes up. Just a short search reveals:

3 Likes

Haha yeah i love what i do or I wouldn’t do it. I’m broke as fuck right now but i wouldn’t change it for the world.

3 Likes

Forged fibreglass is beautiful :rofl:

9 Likes

This one should fit 18s100p

Bottle for comparison :joy:

10 Likes

trailer mount

3 Likes

This is truly beautiful, except for the fugly bolt cutouts.

5 Likes

I’m glad you think so, the whole project left me scarred and i hate it and its currently sitting unfinished :rofl: i learned some stuff tho!

6 Likes

Pelican cases / harbor freight cases are practically the best option you can get for the reasons Damon mentioned. But I completely agree that they are ugly and weigh more than they need to.

A bunch of people on here are working on top boxes, really talented folks we just need to give them more time and we are going to have so many cool options.

6 Likes

But I don’t have time. You want to tell me to stop my next build. Dude I am addicted :joy:

2 Likes

I was worried too but my enclosure on my jump deck has been crashed and ground to bits and is still rock solid. No cracks or splits. I’d love to see your crazy friend crash one around.

It’s the pvc that makes it solid. Avoid that abs crap obviously. A pvc formed enclosure would be smooth and shapable but smelly as hell to work with.

I still like my modular lego brick buck idea for vacuum forming. If only I had the time and space.

4 Likes

Question for the people that don’t like rectangles, what shape would you prefer? Like a trapezoid or something similar? The shape that @glyphiks made? Trapezoid is the only thing that comes to mind that would be space effective IMO.

I could think of some interesting ideas that are 3d printed with aluminum lids. Then glass reinforce the 3d printed portion. But this would def be cost prohibiting for maaaaany people.

This thread more seems targeted at r&d for alternatives rather than cost effective solutions though.

Also @EreTroN I got one of the apex predator decks as well and was looking to design a top mount case for myself, no promises on how long it would take but I could try to make 2 when I get around to it

8 Likes

I actually like the look of the “peli” style cases. I’m not saying the homemade ones could look better but like Alan @eBoosted said already they are cheap and have all the features.

3 Likes

I was thinking about using e bike battery enclosures so I can use the same battery’s on my e bike and e board. If you stick to the same mounting type you could also easily switch between light jump packs and bigger long range packs.

9 Likes

Aren’t most of those 13S or 14S though?

1 Like

I saw these slide on one’s and was super pumped until I remembered I have bindings in the way :expressionless:

I really like how my 60v lawnmower battery slides in and spring clips in. Idc as much about the slide in prong contacts but if I could unplug the battery cable from the enclosure box, undo the spring clip or buckle clamp, and take a whole enclosed battery off in under 10 seconds, I’d be in heaven.

2 Likes