Why is no one making / selling top mount enclosures?

Fully agree with @Kai - call it what you will, tomato potato, what we’re talking about is a reinforced wood enclosure/area that can take a hit.

Ride height, tip angles, wheel size, clearance can all be dialed in through existing means. Point is that the current crop of bottom mount enclosures aren’t really designed to survive off-road and this bro+bro would.

Current street builds lose all their flex too…so? That can be designed for, or sacrificed.

Battery vs deck position is all relative

2 Likes

2022, year of the double deck abomination builds.

3 Likes

I wasn’t talking about sandwich deck build. I was developin top mounted battery utilizing the whole deck area.

3 Likes

The eternal struggle is ground clearance vs deck room and center of gravity

1 Like

Hmm. Thats a different story… but still… ride height. I like being as low as possible, any height you put between your feet and your axles dramatically affects your handling

2 Likes

I almost did that when the markone decks were stupid cheap ($35). If someone did it with a flexy deck so the double layer didn’t make it feel like concrete.

This always leads me back to:

1 Like

Poor hammer

I have a sketch for that somewhere, but can’t find right now
It was one layer of cells on the whole board, 3 cells wide I think, and in the center if needed more layers

3 Likes

This one is inspiring (even if not practical at all :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

I was thinking about something like that too. Perhaps on a full-size PCB with integrated simple BMS to keep it all flat.

The p-groups’ nickel tabs are soldered to the PCB which has mounting holes to hold everything in place. Perhaps RTV and/or wire ties to hold the p-groups but the top plate could also be shaped to conform to, and hold, the p-groups.

3 Likes

I have been finalizing my design for an esc case for the past few days. I plan to get a few manufactured… maybe more if people are interested.

3 Likes

Sure would be great if we had developed standards for heatsink or even ESC mounting pattern.

2 Likes

I think those are great ideas but the market might be too small to find a clear consensus?

2 Likes

I love the idea of standardization, but we’re a very small industry. You can probably think of at least 3/4 of the esk8 specific brands off the top of your head. As a baby industry, the variety is bound to be here right now, and standards will develop over time as we figure out what actually works best. See: the migration to 22mm square hanger profile that’s slowly happening.

2 Likes

This is similar to what I had in mind. small PCB modules, size to be determined, with one side attached to the deck with rubber spacers, and the other free to slide, maybe either a teflon insert on the PCB and board side

I can’t believe I lost that, or can’t figure out where I saved

1 Like

From my point of view, the cases for vesc or battery box are still not developed nice and optimal to the function. What will help to change it?

1. People need to be able pay for development of it (as part of price instead of buy pelicase etc.)
  2. CNC technology must be changed to injection molding. Just need to invest in to aluminum tool will be enough. This kind of tools are normally using for smaller lots series where accurate is not so much important. For example bicycles mudguards etc.
    3.need to be used knowledge how to do it cheap ( people from automotive know what Iam talking about)
    4.and last but very important is to have designers (artist) who will propose nice longtime design.

All will come in right time. It is just question of time I hope :slight_smile: just in case that chines brands will start to produce truth Mountainboard , All described on top can be difficult to realize for small vendors.

6 Likes

Lol okay

Got a spare 10k?

Ehh?

That’s where we come in and show off our wares. People will pick what they think looks best

10k? Depend on design. If You compare it with value of final parts it is reasonable. Iam not sure from where You have it. Now I double check it and for middle or east Europe it could be around this value. Question is how much it can be in China.

For an injection mold?

1 Like

I corrected my reply :+1:

2 Likes