Why do we need a different skateboard or longboard for different riding styles.

Whenever I see a post regarding longboards or skateboards, it says longboard for cruising, carving, freestyle. So, I just wanna ask that why can’t we perform all these tricks and styles on the same longboard? What is the actual reason.

2 Likes

Well the actual reason is first of all, that most of us are obsessed with this hobby, and it is much easier to justify having multiple boards to yourself by saying that all of them are made for different purpose.

On the other hand, there is a good amount of truth in that. Simply as in any other thing in life some things are made for certain usage.

For example. You don’t want an off road big heavy tyres if you will be riding in the flat city concrete. And vice versa. Good luck with urethane wheels in the wet mud.

You want to carve? You need soft trucks and bushings. You want to cruise fast? You need it stiffer… And so on…

Simply put. You have knife in your kitchen for bread and the other one for cheese. Could you slice a bread with cheese knife? Sure. Would you enjoy it? I am not so sure.

15 Likes

There are some boards that work well for multiple riding styles. But usually people know they only want to focus on one particular style of riding, so they get a board that’s best for that :upside_down_face:

There’s a lot of components to decks that make them better or worse for different riding styles: flex, camber, kicktails, wheel cutouts, length, angles, materials, etc.

This video seems to answer this question pretty well, but I also recommend watching Landyachtz’s yearly line-up videos – they’re pretty entertaining and explain the features that make each deck unique :slight_smile:

9 Likes

The real question here is why are there so little mountain board deck models out there. The moment i tried my first ‘‘mountain board’’ Lacroix, i was like wth have i been wasting all this time on normal elongboards and eskateboards.

3 Likes

Because for mountain board decks with angled tips you either need angled baseplates, or channel trucks. And the only benefit I see to them really, is that they lower the standing platform closer to the ground when you have big wheels. (Hence why they’re for mountainboards) And they make it easy to reverse-mount motors, I guess. But that sharp angle is probably a weak-point that requires more thoughtful material and manufacturing choices.

1 Like

Can confirm. My guy at pine tree skate co will not do mountainboard angles for me. 15° tails, no problem, but that’s the most hell do. He says it’s too much of a risk of breaking it when he’s pressing it, let alone riding.

3 Likes

So should we put our interest in the posts on internet saying, Longboard with multi-functional decks. When I read those articles, it looks like they are reviewing something that is eligible of cruising, carving bla bla bla.

Nah, looks like they are shilling offbrand decks(that nobody wants) affiliate links to make a buck…

2 Likes

I said this to myself then started pressing my own. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Funny, i was just thinking about this. :rofl:

1 Like

Have any questions, feel free to ask.
There are no dumb questions, if you are truly trying to learn. :slight_smile:

Confirmed

grafik

1 Like