Why do we even need to disconnect the VESC from batteries?

I’m drunk.

3 Likes

Let me know if (big if) it blows up.

1 Like

Its not as simple as that

The big problem we have today with respect to battery tech is generalization, while it’s worse keeping them fully charged, Li-ion (not lifepo) will not die in a month. Lots of good practices that have been passed forward through the years are taken as true, for example, never charge a battery when hot. In most modern cell is the opposite for high currents, you want them hot

I had a really good study of the Panasonic PF but I can’t find it now, Ive posted here on the forum a while ago, two years stored at 100% was something around 15% energy capacity degradation

1 Like

Will do, but your work seems solid so far. I bow in your general direction.

2 Likes

All of you are missing the option of leaving the boards plugged in to a float charger. Low power variable voltage plugged in 24/7 to keep the pack at 50% or whatever you set it to, no more no less. Never worry about it draining battery, keep battery at storage charge for as long as it’s plugged in, flip to full charge when you want to use it.

2 Likes

Yup, trickle chargers are used that way for motorcycle storage.

1 Like

Or you could just learn more about how batteries fundamantaly operate.

Your gas example…(which by the way just shows how ignorance is bliss)

When you have a car - And your tanks full -> Your weights increased so you can argue you consume more fuel than you need to to reach a destination. But with this being said it’s more of a economical issue you highlight - Because keeping your car tank full doesnt degrade the capacity of your car’s fuel tank over time.

The Batteries in your Board operate differently by design it works exactly how it should. Unless you created the battery - or have a better alternative design (in which case i’ll be your first stakeholder ) you might want to restrain your ego and take a moment to educate yourself.

In all fairness you said if the battery can’t hold 100% it’s defective and with all the respect due for you take a look in a mirror as you bud created, designed and populate that category all on your lonesome (also friday bar night on the board - hope you wear a helmet at least)

Lets drop some facts on you. 50% is where you keep you battery Idle

Esk8 has been around for sometime - the concept of using battery power and the many publicly avalible advancemets over the past 2 decades has made it cost efffective, Lightweight, and drove smaller form factors.

Some of these things were enhancements, and sometimes there are tradeoffs.
(your not young in age) so batteries prehaps that you are fond of could have been stored at higher / full Capacity… But less Cycles… or more weight, etc.

To End - You have some choices

1. Let your ego consume you
  2. Get an understanding and a damn appreciattion for the power source getting you (aparently everywhere in your life, as you write it you seem souly dependant on them)
  3. Think about how you could just Kick Push around,
  4. Tell us how you will just buy a new one because it’s defective - Refer to #1 & or a mirror
  5. contribute to the forum with more than just blisful ignorance
  6. Be to Lazy (empty) to reply

Bonus
6) in any of your posts in this thread, can you identify anything you stated that actually was a fact around Esk8 rather than your own personal mandate, there’s quite some knowlage to be gained here… what do you contribute? hell, what do you even take?

Just some 2 cents

1 Like

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

3 Likes

Here’s two more cents:

Brian has been around a long time, and deserves more respect than this. I encourage you to find a better way to make your points.

11 Likes

you’ve stated nothing to convince me

3 Likes

Did you look in a mirror?

1 Like

Maybe so, I took the time to read all his posts before i made mine

over 65% of them, are like the ones found here… I even had to question how someone who in other places seems to have a high competency in the area of battries would go and share what he did in this thread to someone asking a perfectly fine question.

Why do we need to disconnect VESC from batteries ?

:tumbler_glass: :tumbler_glass: :tumbler_glass:
me tooooooo

1 Like

Bold words from a man confidently distributing his own personal mandate :thinking:
In all seriousness though, I also keep my batteries pretty much full… I’d rather replace them when they degrade than have to deal with storage discharge & recharge every day lol.
Take a big chill pill and let people enjoy things

5 Likes

but that’s not what the OP is asking.

How you choose to keep your Batteries is up to you no issues there it’s a free choice we all make.

Batteries and how they operate by design though that’s just a matter of fact.

The OP said hes not native english, it’s already going to be extra effort to filter the info he/she needs

Before this goes any further I’m going to inject that you’re all wrong.

Lithium cell longevity for long term storage is 50% or so. Forget this, because it does not apply to anything being used in one way or another.

If you take a look at electric cars, the optimal operating charge for a system in operation is 20-80%, however this is taking into consideration for a service life of 8-10 years.

These boards are probably not getting the long term treatment of this, so rather we look at it for a 2-3 year service life, in which case a full charge degradation is less than 20% at high storage temperatures. The degradation from cycling will exceed this percentage if used in that period of time. So by keeping your pack at 50% while it sits, you are at most gaining 5-10% capacity within a 3 year service period.

So TD;DR nobody’s right and it doesn’t matter to keep your shit plugged in unless you plan to remove the battery and store it in a freezer every time.

One thing to point out is that assuming you have a reliable BMS that will not short out P groups and instigate a thermal runaway on a full charge. As long as all cells remain under 100%, not a problem.

4 Likes

Already answered literally 3 replies in lol

This pretty much sums it up, not sure what you’re on about :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT to thank @BluPenguin :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think brian rubs some people the wrong way with some comments. I agree the part where he said “Not leaving it 100% charged is like you leaving your car with no gas in it inside the garage.”

That’s a far fetch. a 50% charge board still works like a car with half a tank of gas. Nobody goes to top off their tank every night they park. Perhaps Esk is just new and not used to his style of commentary.

4 Likes

I honestly don’t think it’s fair to compare esk8 to cars… It’s alot of apples & oranges:

• range is vastly different
  • batteries =/= gas
  • long-standing vs relatively new tech

They just don’t equate at all to me :confused:

1 Like

It was hard to distingust if he meant leaving the battery “low” is like no gas in a car -> as i could semi get that.

had to have a reply suitble for what he said + the aforementioned.