Why do we even need to disconnect the VESC from batteries?

Once I forgot to switch off my MTB and the lipos were almost empty (400Wh). 2 or 3 days later the battery was over-discharged and had some dead cells (0V). That was a hard lesson.

If you always charge when you reach home and ride within a couple of days plus monitor the voltage it is possible to leave it on. The thing is you need to disconnect the esc’s anyway in case of longer breaks (e.g. winter) as long as you don’t check voltage (and charge) all the time.

Or you are just the first in this community who can’t switch off his esk8 :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Using a loopkey gives me a piece of mind knowing the battery is completely disconnected from everything.

5 Likes

Yea, peace of mind.

I left mine on for about 3 months while I was waiting for the new flipsky smart antispark with auto turn on function, but I was constantly checking the battery voltage. Had some anxiety that some unforseen thing was going to happen. Also I think the idle current draw is a bit more than that IRL because there was a significant voltage decrease after a day and I run a 12s4p

I frequently don’t pull the loop key out for months on end of certain skates I ride a lot. But they are connected to a charger… if the charger were to die, the skate would slowly discharge until the battery was destroyed. It’s a risk. I never have ALL the skates on, typically one or two because laziness.

3 Likes

You leave your boards charging 24/7? Thats no good.

8 Likes

Liions, LifePO4 and LiPo all degrade after a couple weeks stored at full charge, I feel you it sucks total ass having to wait an hour if you realize you need something and its even more of a pain in the ass if you have to balance your pack at 1-4A when you don’t have a board to eat up voltage but you’re placing it into storage for the winter. However I lost 10% of my 8Ah’s LiFePO4s capacity when I left them at 3.6v for a month, I’ll never make that mistake again.

Use it as a 5Ah lifepo4 and you won’t have any issues. It’s over capacity
Like I said, “defective”

2 Likes

Its not over capacity, it keeps 100% capacity through 1000 charge cycles and 80% at 1500 cycles, they just aren’t meant to be used like that, wasting 40% of your battery capacity isn’t a solution, not leaving it 100% charged is the solution.

Not leaving it 100% charged is like you leaving your car with no gas in it inside the garage.

Fuck that.

I’m keeping it fully charged and if it doesn’t work right, I will shitcan it and get another battery. Because in that scenario, the battery is not doing the job I have placed it there to do.

6 Likes

Different strokes, I’m happy to leave my batteries at 30-40% charge and add an hour of time before I have to leave to relax and let my shit charge, I aint in a hurry but I’m always russian.

1 Like

In the end, it’s very, very. very unlikely that you will wear out the battery anyway, before something else has broken to take it out of service sooner. Unlike cars, we don’t have a century of top-dollar engineering into reliability. esk8 today are at the point cars were at in 1897 LoL

2 Likes

He fundamentally rejected a loop key when I suggested it on the other forum.

1 Like

I am using this ATM, and it’s working great.

2 Likes

Which other forum?

:blush:

3 Likes

I’m drunk.

3 Likes

Let me know if (big if) it blows up.

1 Like

Its not as simple as that

The big problem we have today with respect to battery tech is generalization, while it’s worse keeping them fully charged, Li-ion (not lifepo) will not die in a month. Lots of good practices that have been passed forward through the years are taken as true, for example, never charge a battery when hot. In most modern cell is the opposite for high currents, you want them hot

I had a really good study of the Panasonic PF but I can’t find it now, Ive posted here on the forum a while ago, two years stored at 100% was something around 15% energy capacity degradation

1 Like

Will do, but your work seems solid so far. I bow in your general direction.

2 Likes

All of you are missing the option of leaving the boards plugged in to a float charger. Low power variable voltage plugged in 24/7 to keep the pack at 50% or whatever you set it to, no more no less. Never worry about it draining battery, keep battery at storage charge for as long as it’s plugged in, flip to full charge when you want to use it.

2 Likes