Who will be the new king when it comes to esc's?

I am still 100% optimist on new vendors, just don’t pull the trigger before I know. Since he has the products won’t be difficult to run decent tests (although I think he must have done many on an esc, so probably only upload them) or send few units out for review. I would be also willing to test it and if it’s good pay after for it or get it with a significantly discount. Everything as long we can bring some proofs. Let’s see.

3 Likes

I give exactly zero fucks about someone stealing flipskys copyright. :joy:

2 Likes

Well he already explained that part. I would just give him time and we will see.

2 Likes

@John-Spintend

This would be an ideal guy to test and review your ESC if you want to prove its quality.

3 Likes

My mind say yes, my body says please please be careful :laughing: but fxxk it. I ned a higher volt vesc for a e-scooter. Specs would be:
14s7 or 8p 30Q cells
dual motors
I would start with
120A battery max (60A each side) and go up to 140 or 160A depending on which battery I will choose.
80A motor max to start and see if I cook them :sweat_smile: First e-scooter so not sure about motors availble.

Can you please take a look at this thread and let us know which remote features will work on standard VESC based controllers that are not the ubox? Thanks!

2 Likes

If you have more watts with higher voltage, you also get more heat from the mechanical part and electrical part, right? (Moar power means moar cooling? :thinking:)

1 Like

Depends of the actual part concerned!

The motor bears the same amount of amps per watts no matter what. So for this one, it’s an absolute yes, you run more watts = you potentially have more heat to cool down, period.

For the rest it is relative, the ESC for example will carry way less amps except at FETs output toward phases so it is able to either run cooler for same watts or run more watts for same heat.

Battery side, it depends but higher voltage battery will likely draw less amps overall (when you parallel packs, it doesn’t mean your amps are drawn evenly from your P groups). So the battery may run cooler. The battery cables will definitely run cooler.

On the mechanical side, it’s all about rpm, effective strain, friction of materials and also how much of the electronics heat is dissipated in the mechanical part if any.

Anyway I’m all for cooling/thermal managing of the ESC, it cannot hurt :v:t4:

2 Likes

If feels like there will be marginal heat difference though with higher battery voltage vs lower… or?

What I mean is… the major heat In the esc comes from losses in the FETs. Which are related to the load side current and not the battery current. The switching losses will in fact increase if battery voltage increases

Where is the heat coming from that are related to the battery current?

My thoughts are
The resistive losses in the PCB but they feel small in comparison.
Maybe the environment inside the esc enclosure will be cooler.

When people talk about esc being cooler with higher voltage… it sounds like the FETs will be cooler and heatsinks could be made smaller. But I dont think so. :man_shrugging: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

While it sounds much like it, and I think you’re right about the FETs being the main source of heat, there are still two factors helping to run a cooler setup at higher voltage :

• the I^2R square ratio of current to produce heat, be it in PCB traces and cables and all around, which doesn’t apply to voltage (any impact from voltage might be negligible on this aspect)
  • the “bridge” or “bottleneck” effect of the MOSFETs

To picture it another way, it is easier to heat everything up when you carry fire everywhere than if you isolate it in a single area. Because for the same fixed Watt amount, you won’t be pulling more amps in the end even at load side.

So the end result might actually be pretty significant overall.

Agreed, it’s not about voltage but split the load. Add more FETs. Lessen the amps per fet. 12fet instead of 6fet is a good example. You halve resistance so as result you produce way less losses. Pointing this because most upcoming ESCs will have more than 6Fet apparently!

2 Likes

Know conversation has been mostly focused on electronics and voltage vs amps to deliver watts but just remembered there’s also drag force which goes up with square or velocity I think. All you can really do to reduce that is reduce surface area or not go as fast :slight_smile: but at some point I imagine drag force starts to have a real effect. Would have to do the math to work out when the drag force becomes something substantial compared to friction in bearings etc, but it depends on incline and wind direction and so on as well. Personally not a speed demon on the esk8 I usually go 18mph peak on regular cruises and average 13mph (basically biking speed) could still take damage if I fell at peak speed but I only do that on open stretches of pretty fresh pavement. That said if higher voltage brings greater efficiency and doesn’t cost double the price for a 10% increase in efficiency then I’m for it.

For racing setups (especially straight drag racing) I get wanting maximum speed and don’t knock anyone doing that and keeping themselves relatively safe, but not sure the higher voltage is really a big gain for the average Joe (assuming I’m close to one of them)

1 Like

8 Likes

Believe there’s more to that story yeah?

Also: new, experimental machines are dangerous. News at 11.

Curious, what’s the broken bone/ER trip count running total with your crew at now, btw?

7 Likes

This could be dud motor, chaffed wires, who knows the story. Er trip due to what? We do all kinds of fun stuff.

6 Likes

That’s exactly my point. I’ve hurt myself in some pretty dumb and spectacular ways, personally.

These are dangerous machines. All of them. You’ve seen plenty of failures/crashes and you run 8S yeah?

To point at one component (Stormcore) when the entire electric machine in question is brand new/experimental seems a bit sensationalist to prove… what exactly? There is more involved with the story you posted that isn’t shown in a single screenshot. Any number of things can/will go wrong when building out new hardware configurations as these are complex systems. Batteries & Motors can cause ESC’s to fail. I’d love to know more about the hardware in question. I’d also be completely unsurprised if there are kinks that need to be ironed out in brand new hardware/firmware. Name of the game.

I am curious what your angle is here. HV = Spooky?

2 Likes

:popcorn:

Sunday evening entertainment

3 Likes

What’s your view on why there is many 60d’s that arnt working properly? Not enough testing? Or ?

@kadeanderson Don’t forget these weren’t supposed to be in any average Joe’s hands till next month. We were annoying and wanted hype. They unlocked a bit of stock to calm us down. But this means there was a whole month of testing left for our testers to find the bugs and hook fixes to em.

I guess that is true @Flasher but according to them it was ready so…

1 Like

Meh. Ready to be installed :joy:

1 Like