Which tyres/setups work on sand? (Mountainboard)

Anyone found a working setup that works on sand?

I’m currently running 9" striker tyres and found that as soon as I hit anything like soft sand I dig in right away. My heavy deck and electric setup probably doesn’t help!

I’m tempted to try something like this:

Anyone else tried these?

1 Like

I’d say look for something with a little more aggressive tread as well. A wider tire wouldn’t hurt in sand either. More contact surface for loose terrain.

1 Like

That’s a good shout…

Wider and more aggressive tread!

I was toying with the idea of 3D printing TPU “tracks” to go around the current tyres, might be stupid but would be fun to try!

2 Likes

i think itd be cool to see some one print like a sand paddle like they use on dune buggys n stuff…

2 Likes

that has a very low probability of actually working… may as well duct tape spoons to your tires

Yah think anything sticking out without support would have a tough time but might be some way to make some wide thick “spikes” and still have it work. This is the closest I’ve seen to what’s being discussed 3d printing wise

1 Like

Ancient thread, but I recently bought a set of these tires, plan to try on both a 4WD Finality setup w/ 4:1 gearing, 140kv 63100s at 16S, and on a much less powerful 12S board with 88t sleeves over 72t wheel pulleys + 12t motor pulleys for 7.33:1 reduction (!). The 2nd board is a torque monster with 8in tires, “only” 6374 motors at 12S thx to hefty 6:1 reduction. The wheel pulley sleeves should give nearly the exact same torque with these 9.75in (I measured them when inflated to 35-40psi on Rockstar Pro II XLs… I’ll run them softer) tires. I’ll be playing in snow, but think success there translates into success in sand.

1 Like

you running idlers? 12T is smol

I’ve done so with and without. Initially I thought (and read here and elsewhere) that I HAD to. Since my dumb ass installed them so they take up slack on the run of the belt in tension when rolling forward, and didn’t use any sort of tire/wheel over the idler bearings (a pair of 608’s separated by a speed washer) they wore out like candy, screamed in pain every couple hundred miles. They were also a pain in the ass to adjust. I got incredibly lucky in that 455mm belts happened to fit perfectly without idlers, and if kept reasonably well tensioned, don’t skip. I do go through belts at a decent clip, get only about 300mi between one of 'em breaking. This setup probably only works due to unusually long motor plates… ATC = All Terrain Creations. I ran 465-470mm belts with 12t/72t and 15t/72t with a single idler on each side. They are loooong.

Perhaps you’re doing this already but a common technique with sand is to lower tire pressures to increase the tire footprint. Unless you can find some paddle tires, I suspect 9" Mud Pluggers (with lower pressure) are your best bet. You’ll need a lot of torque to run 10" tires.

1 Like