Which for a "FIrst Board": Backfire G2 Black vs Wowgo S2 Pro...and, maybe, Meepo V4

For the most part, the title says it all. I’m looking to get my first esk8, and, since I can’t (yet) afford a more expensive board (or, more importantly, a belt-driven board), I’ve done a considerable amount of research, and narrowed the choices down to these two (or three). Starting yesterday, I started posting in one of the threads created by someone else…but, not wanting to ‘hijack’ that thread, I thought it my be prudent to create my own thread. For those who previously replied to me…with ‘positive’, as well as ‘negative’ comments, thank you…and, please, feel free to respond in here, as well. But, first, some quick “background” info:

I am 5’8”, approx 230lbs, and am in the early ‘50+’ category. Although I was a competitive swimmer many years ago, and involved in several other physical activities, life has gotten (hopefully, temporarily) the better of me, and my weight shot up. For a couple years, I did work for that (horrible) A-Z company, during which time I dropped to approx 175…but, after leaving, and going to work as a Professional Chauffeur (no, not gUber, or (un)Lyft), due to my job requiring me to “sit on my you-know-what”, the great majority of that weight returned. That being said, I AM interested in getting back down to at least 200lbs, and hopefully/possibly slightly less. I don’t currently have a huge energy reserve, but I’m also no couch potato. As for skateboarding, I got into it (minorly) about 40 years ago, but “moved on” less than five years later (swimming, and being a musician, became far more important)…and now, while not 100% the same thing, I am wanting to get back.

I could have purchased some cheap (ie. Sub-$300) board through Amazon, eBay, or other similar sources…but, I wanted something with a more-known (ie. ‘better’) quality. That led me to doing one of the things I do best – internet researching. Upon initial searching, I realized that most boards…especially any of the belt drive boards…are out of my reach, financially-speaking, thus the reason I am looking ONLY at the “budget” boards. At the same time, I do NOT want a “cheap” (ie low-quality, questionable build, garbage 3-month warranty, no support/customer-service, etc) board. After reading quite a few reviews, and watching even more YouTube videos (mostly reviews), I was able to narrow down my choices to the Backfire G2 Black, Wowgo S2 Pro, and…in a ‘distant third’…the Meepo V4. However, based on certain things said by others, the V4 is now an even-more-distant fourth (even though there is no “third”). Maybe in another year, or so, I will be able to afford a higher-end and/or belt drive board…but, for now, around $500 is the MAX.

So…between my two primary options/choices, what would others choose…AND “why”? what are the pros/cons of each against the other? Part of why I’m asking this question is, in my research, I found several comparisons pitting each of these two against others…but, I could find no comparisons pitting them against each other. I’m sure each has ‘positives’, as well as ‘negatives’ against each other…I’m just not entirely certain what they might be. Another area of ‘concern’ is support/customer-service. I know both are supposed to have US-based support (and, possibly, even US-based repair centers…if anyone can confirm this, please do). At the same time, from previous/personal experience, I’ve learned that US support from Chinese companies isn’t always the greatest. For example, Hobbywing does produce excellent products (I use their Seaking ESCs in the majority of my boats)…but, their US-based support is horrible. Thankfully, when dealing with one of their products, when factory-installed in something from another company, one doesn’t have to deal with HW support (again, for example, if purchasing any of the Spektrum ESCs and/or motors, which are actually manufacturered by HW, yu deal with Horizon Hobby support, which is outstanding).

Ok…enough said (by me, at least for now). My “plan” is to place my order within the next 1-2 weeks. But, to better ‘assist’ in my decision, I would greatly appreciate some input from others – ESPECIALLY anyone who has at least a few dozen miles of use with BOTH of my choices. If you are ‘pro’ one company, and have never even tested boards made by the other, please, refrain from commenting. If you are someone who has only ridden belt drive boards, please, refrain from commenting. And…most important of all…if you are someone who believe that only “expensive” boards are worth riding, please, refrain from commenting. I ask this, NOT to be ‘rude’, but to keep any comments being left “on the subject at hand” (ie. “budget” boards in general…and, specifically, the Backfire G2 Black, Wowgo S2 Pro, and (to some extent) the Meepo V4). Thank you, in advance, and look forward to all (helpful) information.

1 Like

Because this is primarily a DIY forum, you might not find many owners of entry-level chinese prebuilts.

If I were in your shoes, my money would go towards the Meepo. One of my first boards was a Meepo, and the drivetrain still works though it’s on the shelf these days.

It will be a great way to get into the sport. If you can stretch your budget slightly, get the ER battery.

5 Likes

Hi Panther6834,
I am new here (joined just now). This seems like a happy, helpful community to discuss stuff with.
I am an older, non experienced beginner esk8er and I currently have a Backfire G2 Black.
I dont want to go so fast, not a speed freak, never been on any group rides (yet) I simply enjoy the feeling of some carving and also use my board to get around town. The G2 is simple (2 speed modes) Hobbywing esc, brakes safe and has proven to be a solid first time entry level board. I put 105 cloudwheels on it which defo helped with some rough paths etc.

My son has now nicked my G2 and so just yesterday I got myself a used Meepo V3 which has the Ling Yi esc. I can say that it is not as smooth as the G2 Hobbywing but still feels very good. I will get the 120 cloudwheels for it as 90mm PUs dont feel good to me on my rougher roads.

I have a belt drive Tynee AT board with 6" air tires coming in a couple of months so will try to sell the meepo V3 in spring.

For me the wheel size is important as the standard street wheels (90/96mm PUs) are not good on UK roads/paths with my age, lack of experience, lack of flexibility and combined with my complete ability to fall off at a moments notice!! (Not giving up :slight_smile: I will get better for sure)

The problem I faced with the G2 is that the biggest wheel I can buy is the 105 Cloudwheel doughnuts (as said before - they helped me feel a lot safer with my type of riding). The Wowgo 2S pro can take the Cloudwheel 120 doughnuts which for me is a better size. And from what I see it also uses the Hobbywing ESC now. So from my view - if I was getting a new Hub board for the first time I would choose the wowgo simply as it matches the G2 for speed, brakes AND u can choose 120 Cloud Doughnuts. (note - I have not actually tried the 2S pro though). From what I have experienced and seen - the support from China is on par for all these companies. I have emailed Backfire, Apsu, Meepo, Cloudwheels, and a bunch of other chinese board makes and all have responded to my various questions.

Dont know where u are based, the more established chinese suppliers (Backfire/Wowgo/Meepo etc) are all adding approx US$200 for UK delivery these days. Just so u are aware - the Tynee Classic hub board is similar to the G2 and 2SPro and V3 and currently is $419 and can be shipped from Germany in a week. I think they will do free shipping if you contact them (Aiden). But the Tynee Classic can only take 105 Cloudwheel doughnuts. Also let me add I am not in anyway a Tynee promoter - their AT board with 6" air tires meets my requirement (safer wheels) and budget (cheapish for a belt drive). So far the support has proven good.

ebay is always a good place to get a decent looked after used board which u can try before u buy (like I did with the Meepo V3)

Not sure if any of this is helping - good luck with your first board.

2 Likes

Actually, it does help somewhat. I probably should have mentioned this in my initial post, but forgot (my apologies), I’m in California (USA)…the Silicon Valley area, to be somewhat more specific.

Anyway, regarding ESCs & motors, even though HW is considered (by some) to be a “latecomer”, as mentioned by others in various forums, to the e-skate market, they have an ‘advantage’, in that they’ve been producing RC ESCs & motors for more years than e-skates have been around, and have been able to apply all they know in the RC market to the e-skate market…so, it makes sense (at least, to me) why theirs would be smoother than, say, the Lin Li (I might have misspelled that) electronics in the Meepo V3 (one of the biggest complains of e-skates using those electronics). In a matter of speaking, an e-skate is just an extremely-basic (throttle only), larger, heavier RC (ok, not always heavier, as my X-MAXX does weight approx 25lbs). That’s why I have the Backfire & WowGo boards under higher consideration. At the same time, from all I’ve read/watched about their new Shuffle V4, the new/updated electronics are (supposedly) almost on-par with the HW electronics.

As for the wheels, that’s also been something I’ve been looking into…not only the 105mm vs 120mm options (of which, by the way, I do believe there are 120mm CloudWheels available for the G2 Black…of course, I don’t know if you have the older G2, or the newer G2 Black, as they do, from what I’ve read, use different mounting designs), but also other diameters (for the front only) from other manufacturers, such as 107mm, 110mm, and 115mm (I’m blanking right this moment, but there’s one manufacturer producing 115mm rubber wheels that would be outstanding (even if slightly heavier than the PU wheels) at absorbing bump ‘energy’). The other thing I was thinking is that, in having wheels of slightly different diameters (smaller up front), such could probably improve stability (of the rider) during acceleration. If anyone reading this has any experience riding with different size wheels, as I just described, I’d greatly appreciate any input (did it help, or hurt, the ride? was stability improved?).

The final part is considering these 2-3 boards is their shape & flex - flat vs concave, ‘how’ concave, and how stiff/flexible. Starting with the shape, the last time I rode a board (over 35 years ago), all boards were essentially flat (not to mention a lot narrower). From what I’ve been able to tell, the Backfire G2 Black has a pretty decent concave curve, firmly planting the rider. The S2 Pro appears to be flatter…but, I can’t tell by how much. And, as for the Shuffle V4, I can’t tell at all (compared to the G2 Black). If anyone knows of the curvature of the S2 Pro & Shuffle V4 (when compared to the G2 Black), please, let me know. Finally, there’s the stiffness of the board…and, in this, remember, I’m currently around 230lbs (although planning to get back just slightly below 200lbs…say, in the 189-200lb range). I have no plans for serious carving, but the board also won’t be used for commuting. Think of my intended use as “somewhere in between, leaning closer to a commuter-style of riding”. I don’t want an overly-stiff board, but I also don’t want one that flexes too much (from what I’ve seen, the Meepo V3 & V4, both, have too much flex…plus, with my (current) weight, the V4 could turn out to be…uh…“problematic”). As such, I’m back to just the first two (Backfire G2 Black & WowGo S2 Pro) being under consideration.

Monday night, I was about to “pull the trigger” on purchasing the S2 Pro. While it can only accept the 120mm CloudWheels, I was perfectly happy with that…plus, WowGo does have their own 105mm wheels. Having stronger motors (2x 500W vs the 2x 400W in the G2 Black), combined with 12S power (vs 10S in the G2 Pro), that combo should have no problem running the 120mm wheels, and without ever overheating the ESC, or motors. Unfortunately, their US warehouse doesn’t have any in stock. Sure, I could order from the China warehouse…but, then, I’d either have to wait who-knows-how-long for it to arrive on the “slow boat from China”, or I’d have to pay an extra $100 for air shipping (which I’m not willing to do). As of right now, the funds I would have used to purchase the S2 Pro on Monday are gone…so, I’ll have to wait until at least payday (this coming Friday) before ordering. If WowGo’s US warehouse doesn’t have the S2 Pro back in-stock by then, my only realistic option (based purely on availability) might be the Backfire G2 Pro. However, if the S2 Pro is back in-stock in the US warehouse by then, then I’m back to the original “which do I get” question.

I’d go for the G2 just because backfires warranty is very generous and they’re super helpful.
Because of your weight, I’d spend the extra 100 and get the zealot since it’s on sale if that’s possible.
I’ve owned a g2 and it’s pretty slow and w/ the zealot you get the fancy remote.
I broke a motor on my old meepo a year or so ago and their warranty basically ignored my emails.
Idk anything about wowgo though

1 Like

If you can find someone nearby with them I’d try them out first. I personally didn’t like the Backfire deck contour as much when I tried them because it’s mostly flat with fairly steep concave at the edges, compared to my Wowgo 2S (not pro) which had a very subtle but more even concave across the entire width of the deck. Again it’s all personal preference, neither are inherently better than the other.

Thank you slizer18 & frankthedragon, both, for your comments. Regarding the Zealot, it appears to have the same weight-handling capacity (240lbs) as the G2 Black…plus, it’s $230 more ($419 G2 Black vs $649 Zealot), not $100. That puts it out…way out…of my current price range. The other ‘problem’ (at least for me) is its all-bamboo construction, which I believe would make it fast more flexible then I’d like. As the board will be for almost entirely street (and similar surface) riding, too flexible aboard could be a ‘bad’ thing for me (at least, until I lose some weight). I did (very shortly) consider the possibility of the G3…but, in discovering it’s running older electronics, and has an even shorter range, I just as quickly eliminated it from contention. In some ways, it could actually be considered a “downgrade” from the G2 Pro.

As for “finding someone nearby” with both boards, I don’t even know anyone nearby with either board. Even worse, I don’t know anyone nearby with any e-skates. Other than my neighbors, and coworkers, the majority of others I know are all part of the RC (mostly racing) community…and, as far as I’m aware, only a few ride skateboards, all of which are traditional boards.

It’s almost 1am here in UK so hopefully can continue this tmrw

From what I have seen on the net so far the 120 clouds are only for the old G2. The latest G2 Black from 2020 can only take the 105s. If someone can show me any option for 120s for the G2 black that will be fantastic as for me the G2 Black is perfect with the larger wheel option.

The rubber 115s from Onsra look great and I have even thought about modifying these by drilling out the core and fitting the sleeve of the original backfire 96s so I end up with hub 115 rubbers on the rear (rubber doughnuts?) And the normal ones on the front (comment’s appreiated on this daft idea!?)

(Does this qualify me as a diyer to be accepted on this forum :grinning:?)

As for the concave I can post some pics of the G2 and Meepo if it helps (need to figure out how to add pics on here using an android phone)

From my limited rides the G2 is just nicer all round but maybe once the 120 clouds get here for the meepo I will change my mind
Happy to let u know if u think it will help

Bedtime!

Starting with the “posting photos on an Android device” thing, I’m also trying to figure it out. If anyone knows how to do this, please, post it here.

Getting back to the matter (“problem”?) at hand, I think I might have goofed about 120s for the G2 Black. I think, seeing 120s available for the other two, I might have assumed they were also available for the G2 Black. The more time passes, the more I think the 2S Pro is the “smarter” choice. Like the G2 Black, it has the latest HW ESC…plus, it’s 12S (as John Robert Holmes, owner/founder of Holmes Hobbies, always says, “Volt up, and gear down”). Then, there’s the auto-power, not to mention having 105mm AND 130mm options. Something someone mentioned to me in a YouTube reply is that the G2 Black is mostly flat, with somewhat ‘sharp’ concave curves closer to the sides, whereas the 2S Pro has a ‘gentle’, but more consistent concave curve across the entire width.

At the point, the WowGo 2S Pro is my #1 option, the Backfire G2 Black my #2, and the Meepo Shuffle V4 is #10 (out of three…lol). Only “problem” now is the US warehouse getting them back in stock…and, hopefully, BEFORE the holiday sale ends.

From Android’s Chrome browser, or from the app, uploading photos should work the same.

The photo above is just a “test”, to see if it works. When typing a post, below the text box, from left to right, you should see the following: ‘Reply’ button (orange button w/ arrow), ‘discard’ (the garbage can icon), a button with an “up” arrow, and a button that looks like a computer monitor (I haven’t tested that one, yet, so I don’t know what it does). The button with the “Up” arrow should be for uploading photos from your phone’s Gallery, as well as for taking a photo which is immediately uploaded. If the ‘upload from Gallery’ works as I suspect, you should see a funny meme above.

I would also go 2S Pro from what u say. 2S Pro has 8 inch trucks too - so more stability. If u email them they will give u timescales between waiting for US stock and direct shipping from China. It may not be different.

Funny you should mention emailing them, because that’s exactly what I did a few days ago…and, their reply came last night, in the middle of the night (see below).

Now, I know a few things about marketing, and so this is what I’m reading into the received reply:

It’s fairly safe to assume that the biggest markets for e-skates is the U.S. & Asia…probably in that order. Considering the length of time since the G3 was released, combined with the recent updates to the 2S (first the 2S Knight, quickly followed by the 2S Pro), it could be safe to assume that they have an update to the 3 coming very soon. Before I continue on this ‘line’, let me “step back”, and jump to the ‘2’ line for a brief minute.

Up until approximately a year ago, the most recent in the ‘2’ line was the 2S. When the ‘Knight’ was released, I’m willing to bet they had already fully developed the 2S Pro. While there are several differences between the 2S & ‘Knight’, there are very few differences between the ‘Knight’ and 2S Pro. What I suspect is that there was probably never supposed to be a ‘Knight’, and that their plan was to release the 2S Pro as the update to the 2S. What I also suspect is that, due to the pandemic, they initially had difficulties in procuring the vet parts that make the 2S Pro different from the ‘Knight’. As such, I suspect they (temporarily) released the ‘Knight’, which contained all the other upgraded parts (over the 2S), and released that, to gain sales, until they were able to obtain the remaining upgrade parts. Once those parts were finally obtained, they quickly discontinued the ‘Knight’, “replacing” it with the 2S Pro. At least, this is my assumption…but, an assumption I’d be willing to bet on (and, I’m not really much of a “betting man”, which should tell those reading this how confident I am in my assumption).

Now, let’s apply this upgrade philosophy to the 3. As you can see, from the email I received from WowGo, not only do they not have any 2S Pro in the U.S. warehouse, but it seems that they don’t have any intentions on restocking the U.S. warehouse with them any time soon…but, at the same time, the warehouses in China, Australia, and the UK have them, and are receiving regular restocking of them…ONLY the U.S. warehouse is being ‘denied’. Why? And this is where I get into my next assumption - a possible upgrade to the 3, which one could assume might be called the 3S.

Let’s say you’re a company, and you have a recently-upgraded product, as well as another product that’s about to be upgraded…especially if that soon-to-be-upgraded product is one step above the recently-upgraded product. What do you do to ‘unload’ that product? You look at your markets, determine which you are more interested in getting the recently-upgraded product to, and which is the “best option” to dump the remaining stock of the soon-to-be-upgraded product. Of the four markets (based on warehouse locations), AU & UK, being the “up & coming” markets, would be the markets to keep well-stocked in the recently-released product, which would also me the same markets you do NOT want to "dump’ the product soon-to-be-upgraded. If the two remaining markets, it would be “suicide” to dump them on your home market, even knowing that said market is one of the two largest, and (potentially) most likely to purchase.

So, how does one go about dumping the soon-to-be-upgraded product into the ‘unsuspecting’ market, while simultaneously building sales in a recently-released product? Simple. You ‘withhold’ shipments of the recently-released product, while simultaneously keeping that warehouse very-well-stocked in the soon-to-be-upgraded product. Additionally, you lower the price of the soon-to-be-upgraded product to a price that is just above the price of the recently-released product, so as to “entice” customers to purchase the 'higher end" (of the two) product. At the same time, you don’t ‘deny’ people from purchasing the recently-released product, as you still have it available from your home market warehouse…except that it will either take customers 60 days to receive it via the free shipping method, or, you charge outrageous rate (in this case, $121) to ship via air. Asian companies are well aware of the facts that most Americans (myself included), tend to want their purchases ‘now’, rather than wait. By purchasing the 2S Pro, and paying the $121 air shipping costs, any potential customers would be paying considerably more for the 2S Pro, than they would for the 3…which, in turn, would be highly likely to lead said customers into purchasing the 3 (they’d ‘feel’ they were getting a better “deal”). What while ago is banking on is that Americans won’t be ‘intelligent’ enough to figure out what is actually going on. If you look at the “holiday discounts”, it should be fairly easy to figure out that, percentage-wise, the 3 has the highest discount…exactly what a company would do if they were trying to ‘dump’ a product, so as to prepare for something “new” (ie. a 3S?).

Quickly covering the email I received, it wouldn’t have been as bad (it’s still ‘bad’, having figured out what they’re doing…just not AS ‘bad’) if they had only informed me of their being no stock of the 2S Pro heading for the U.S. warehouse, and just left it at that. But, taking into consideration that they added the info about the 3…and, worse, are trying to entice by purposely mentioning the ultra low price…that, in my opinion, makes their email to me much worse. This is enough to not only make me change my mind on purchasing the 2S Pro, but is on the verge of having me not wanting to ever purchase from WowGo (and, possibly, to inform others, if/when others ask me for suggestions/recommendations). Because of “shady business practices”, there’s are a number of companies I will never purchase products from (Apple is at the top of that list)…WowGo may have just added themselves to that list.

And, with that said, it looks like the Backfire G2 Black is back to being my #1 choice…unless, within the next few days, anyone can provide “strong enough reasoning” to swap me in a different direction. I do thank all those who’ve responded to my inquiry, and will be interested in seeing if any “reasoning” is posted to leaf me elsewhere between now & the end of the weekend. Until then…

You will like the G2 a lot. Hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I did and my son does right now. (we are both first time esk8ers)

On one hand, I’ll say “I hope so”…and, on the other hand, I’ll say “I’m sure I will”. Got the G2 Black ordered this morning (already received the UPS tracking info)…then, just a few minutes ago, ordered the 4-pack of 105mm CloudWheels, plus an additional 2-pack of the sleeves. I figured, since (based on what others have said elsewhere) others report that the rear sleeves wear out and/or crack much faster than the front wheels, it would be ‘smart’ to already have an additional set of the sleeves.

On my next days off, I’ll go to some of the local skateboard shops (there are several in the Silicon Valley), check out the safety gear, and buy what’s needed…and, more importantly, what fits best. Riding motorcycles for over 35 years, I know helmets fit different heads differently (some are more ‘round’, some more ‘oval’, some with a slight ‘teardrop’ shape).