Where'd the current go? help understanding degraded performance

Well no, simply becasue there is multiple conductors since its a 3-phase brushless motor. Why can we not add those phases togheter to get a total amperage from the motor?

Or maybe you are talking about a dc-motor? Where we have one conductor and its just a matter of measuring the current from the phase wire?

You are just being pedantic right now. Realise you are wrong when you have a whole forum stating you are wrong.

And one last time. If you want to believe this then please do. But dont try and teach others about this particular subject.

Because in BLDC, only 2 phases are used, and the ā€œmotor currentā€ is the current flowing through a specific point in only one of the phases, not both added together (together they form a closed loop during duty off).

In FOC, all 3 phase are used, but the ā€œmotor currentā€ sensed by a vesc isnā€™t derived by adding currents of the 3 individual phases togetherā€¦ itā€™s the ā€œpeakā€ of the sinusoidal current in a single phase.

In both of the above cases, the stated currents all reference coulombs per second past a specific point in a conductor.

So when you start adding the motor currents of the 2 electrically isolated conductors in 2 separate motors together, the stated value no longer is an amp by definition - because itā€™s 2 specific points added together (not one specific point), and there is no one point with that same value - so it still isnā€™t an amp or ā€œAmpereā€, whether or not youā€™re an electrical engineer.

@professor_shartsis why you dragging me into your petty squabble? because i liked the comment of someone your arguing with? how mature.

Honestly at this point i couldnā€™t care if your technically right or wrong because it doesnā€™t matter. The fact is that if you have 2 motors each running at 10A and you want to know their combined current, the clearest and least confusing way to do this is to say that together they draw 20A. Your literally the only person that has an issue with this.

Furthermore you should not be preaching your views about correct measurement units in a thread where a guy is asking for help about thermal issues. They are not helpfull to the subject and not welcome here.

3 Likes

The way to understand the issue is by using correct measurements. The heat produced in the controller in watts = I^2R where I is the motor current (not the imaginary / non-existent unit ā€œcombined currentā€) and R is the resistance in ohms of the controller. To calculate the motor heating in BLDC, same formula but R is the line to line resistance. in foc, you divide the line to line resistance by 2 for R, divide the individual not combined ā€œmotor currentā€ by the square root of 2 for I (because in foc the ā€œmotor currentā€ is peak sinusoidal current per phase but you need the RMS), then multiply I^2R times 3 because there are 3 phases to get the heating in watts.

there is no such thing. if you disagree show me a textbook.

167.8 amps on my dual motor build. Love it.

83.9a motor per motor is nothing to brag about. when i owned a vesc 4.12 i had it set to 120a motor per motor.

Really?

Prove it.

2 Likes

gladly.

the 4.12 firmware dialed it down to 120a.

ask @hummieee if you need a witness affidavit.

My motor amps are set to 100amps per esc.
I actually recorded usage from a real groupride.

You have any metr data or other ride logs showing this?

1 Like

http://tppsf.com/true-color-contrast.jpg

1st to shear a hubmotor axle count? again, ask @hummieee

Hummie has your ride logs?

Odd.

that was before metr even existed so a witness statement will have to suffice.

A statement of him saying you had your esc set to 120 motor amps?

Not interested.

1 Like

no i paid $100 to buy his vesc because he was too timid to test max settings at the timeā€¦ i wasnā€™t and after the test he returned me the $100ā€¦ & was 1st to shear his hub axle. so eat it.

Wait so Iā€™m supposed to magically put together that you broke an axle because you set motor amps to 120amps?

I would have at least expected a chart or two.

listen to that sweet sound of 120a hub motor amps and weep:

posted 3 yrs ago

No weeping here. Also no record, no proof.

1 Like

witness statement is good enough in court. besides i have nothing to prove.

Man, if you really think that there is 120 A on this motor running without load you lost all the almost non existence confidence in all the theories you throw around

3 Likes

he was riding it around with the same settings when the axle broke at low speed in a flat parking lot. i think @hummieee ā€˜s body mass on the board counts as a load.