Where would we be today with out the Vesc

I have not tried this Arc200 but I have a general remark I want to make not directed at anyone in particular.

I see people all the time stating their settings.
Without a log to know how many amps you actually draw, settings mean absolutely nothing.

It is equivalent to saying I have setup my turbo car to operate at 2.0bar and 500bhp.
Unless you have actually used that, then we will never know if it can take it without the pistons going through the hood, will we?

3 Likes

Only downside is i heard its difficult to set up? Or do they now have a user friendly gui? And sizeā€¦ But vesc6 isnā€™t small eitherā€¦

No itā€™s tough to setup. What I mean by that is the config process is very different from the VESC. FreeFly has a great youtube video that walks you through the setup process though.

Itā€™s slimmer than a VESC 6 but longer, takes about about the same total space.

The FreeFly Arc200 has logging capability, Iā€™m happy to get you some if your interested. I might have some on my home notebook, Iā€™ll check tonight.

With that being said, I did log data when testing the Arc200ā€™s and it is impressive. When I sayā€¦

ā€¦Iā€™m not telling fish tails, I actually did it.

Yaā€™ll should talk to Jake, @longhairedboyā€™s kid. He has been trying to demolish some since Nov 2018 I think.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using the esk8 1.2 controller from esk8.de and Imo they are a better focbox. Higher quality components, better price, actually ship when you order them.

Been running 12s FOC at 70 battery Amps without an issue.

Only issue is they are rarely available I was gonna link the website and it had 2 and stock so I had to buy them before I share the secret.

Ohh and it supposedly comes with a 2yr warranty :rofl:

6 Likes

Attila (owner) has done a good job about this.

1 Like

Wrong topic.

I notice this a lot on my VESC 4.12 skate. Just a bit under top speed it feels like the nitrous kicks in.

Of course about 30 seconds later the ESC starts throttling because the FETs are too hotā€¦

4 Likes

We would all have used RC based ESCs like the HW Max6 Iā€™ve been using?

Nah. Iā€™d have gone full retard and kept my ZombieSS FETzilla 36fet controller from back then and certainly come up with a deathly machine in the end. Many e-bike ESCs available since long, itā€™s big but some are slim and pack a lot more power than what we have even now. Which is not really needed for e-boards, truthfullyā€¦

VESC gave a big boost thanks to itā€™s advanced feature (like a full fledged bike ESC) + high power + tiny form factor!!

1 Like

I wasnā€™t being exhaustive with the number of options. Some use car ESCs with an AS5047 encoder quite successfully for finer control. Some of the fastest race esk8s today use Castle Creations Mamba XLX ESCs.

1 Like

Interested in what motor you used to pull 120A?

Sure but itā€™s all about practical factor too, if you compare our ESC to bigger ones, we were just late to the party when it comes to things like FOC for example.

Thatā€™s what I meant.

I just noticed this yesterday with my Maker-X 4.2ā€¦ it had one hell of a sudden burst of torque at the top end compared to my 6.6.

Now I understand what my relatively newbie friend was complaining about as he rode along with me. :joy:

1 Like

A heatsink goes a long way towards eliminating this problem. Of course when you solve the vesc overheating you are left with overheating motors and not much can be done about them

1 Like

The VESC 4.12 design uses the FETs that are not conducive to adding heatsinks, unfortunately. (They put the heat into the PCB itself) Really just need to change the ESC next time Iā€™m in there, but this skate is so reliable that I havenā€™t been in there for a long time. Really if the ESC doesnā€™t die, then it will probably stay as-is. No reason for me to crack open a skate that hasnā€™t broken. If it ainā€™t broke, donā€™t fix it :smiley:

2 Likes

If I conformal coat my Focboxes, can I just use PC thermal paste between it and my heatsink?:thinking: :exploding_head:

Woops wrong thread lel

1 Like

I have a 1/2" alumimium plate to which the vescs are bolted on.
My Focboxes used to thermal throttle constantly, after using the heat sink they never got over 80C

1 Like

Yes but the problem is thatā€™s a 4.12 not a FOCBOX. I also love the OG FOCBOX

1 Like