Where would we be today with out the Vesc

Have any of you ever thought where the industry would be right now had the Vesc never been created? I think about this often and probably would never have ridden an esk8 if it wasnt for Vedder. I dont think our DIY community would even be a thing. Everyone would still be on endless sphere.

What are your thoughts on this do you think there would simply be another ESC out there that would have been popular?

6 Likes

people in 2019 without vesc:

19 Likes

I think that without VESC we would adopt ESCs from electric scooters.

7 Likes

You wouldn’t, since they are a black box with no config tool.

2 Likes

It’s hard to imagine without vesc, but there still different options for escs we could choose from. From car/boat escs over to the ebike and scooter escs. Maybe something like the arc 200 would be the way to go than.

2 Likes

Lots of smart people. Im sure someone would have come up with something one way or another.

17 Likes

We might have been using the industrial brushless drivers slaved to raspberry pi’s

6 Likes

I agree with this but I doubt they would have made it as open as Ben did, especially at the start.

He’s a hero.

12 Likes

Oh i totally agree.

2 Likes

Right he is. He made all this possible. Absolute legend

4 Likes

I think the question should also be:

Where the vesc would be without the community?

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=63540&start=125#p957046

Here the story of the vesc on endless sphere, I think it is nice to know the origin of it.

5 Likes

11 Likes

Anyone who has ridden a car esc board without bindings knows exactly just how much of a hero he really is. Night and day compared to the vesc.

@JohnnyMeduse

Thanks for that history lesson. Never went on endless. Great to see the inception

1 Like

First time I rode a trampa, my mates board (who rides regular, I ride goofy) was on car ESC’s and he had switched two of the phase wires so I was riding front wheel drive with the car ESC’s… took me 3 mins to fly over the front of it.

4 Likes

They worked well on emtb’s with bindings but on the road it was a hairy experience but the only thing so you just got used to it. Mine was just a high kv 6s thing but was still snatchy as all fuck.

1 Like

I would still be riding this piece of hot garbage. I was searching for the features that I wanted and found vesc mentioned here. Didn’t realize I was a few years behind haha.

10 Likes

Don’t knock the trike man. I love that thing.

2 Likes

The trike will live on throughout history. I’m imagining you dressed in mad max style armor fighting for food and riding away to safety on that thing in let’s say…20 years?

3 Likes

7 Likes

Got into esk8 from drones when I was looking for a good, open source esc. A lot of the drone stuff started going closed source (blheli32), so I started looking and the best thing I came across was the VESC.

But then I saw what everyone was using them for and haven’t looked back at drones since

6 Likes