Where are the carbon fiber decks?

Definitely diff core in Hi5ber decks…looking for video

2 Likes

That’s not good to see, I ride that board almost daily. You got a deal! I spent 200$ on mine :sob:

4 Likes

Don’t I know it! I got the Mellow drive for $300, so the setup is $320, pretty good board for that amount. I really hope this carbon fiber deck doesn’t snap like his. But at least with this news, we are more aware of the abuse we can put on the deck. In short, spend the money and get a hi5ber, I have had two of their decks, they are solid!

3 Likes

radio opacity is the primary flaw. A lack of deck flex (unless its flat like an aileron which has tons of flex) and vibrational transfer are annoying, but won’t get you killed.

3 Likes

When carbon fiber is combined with other materials can’t it be somewhat flexible? Something like kevlar. Also, could it be laminated with another material with benefit?

1 Like

its super flexible when its not shaped to not be. You just can’t give it any kind of structural shaping. Flat it will flex like crazy.

1 Like

I wonder how many layers Hi5ber has because it has zero flex compared to the BF that is really flexy.

Mine has 21 carbon layers. Not consecutively of course. It has more carbon layers in certain areas of the deck that will experience more loads than others.

1 Like

Also, could it be laminated with another material with benefit?

Like with certain type of woods. Baltic Birch for example. Carbon enhances the wood properties.

In short, spend the money and get a hi5ber, I have had two of their decks, they are solid!

I haven’t seen yet the first Esk8 DIY based on the Hi5ber 40" Makako a carbon drop-through. That’s a deck with potential.

1 Like

My carbon deck and enclosure is likely the most flexible board on the forum. Like loaded vanguard flex 6-7 if the scale went that low. I hit 65+ km/h on that thing every ride. I do have some 3D shape to it but sure anything with 3D shapes will be stiffer in those regions. It is for sure a lot harder to work with and get right, but you have way more flexibility over the properties you want.

3 Likes

trampa prototype has entered the chat

hmm maybe that is different than a mtb with a top mount.

3 Likes

Not a prototype really. Been on this thing for nearly two years now.
Who knows might be for sale in 3 years. Currently studying 200% and working. so don’t have very much time for working on ways to produce these.
But it is a street setup and a top mount so you will be standing on top of the trucks more or less and therefore not get the leverage you usually do.

1 Like