Wheelie/Manual mode for a skateboard

SO.
To sum this thread of potential awesomesauce.
What are the viable options for poppin an auto wheelie?

1. external module with someones wheelie code + misc?
  2. A VESC with built in IMU + extra fancy code + external source of wheelie trigger?

Is there a “how-to” somewhere or something? I wanna make this happen on atleast one board :smiley:

2 Likes

Someone would need to write some code to turn the ADC3 pin into a second SERVO / “PPM” channel. And then the balance app could incorporate that as a trigger, in lieu of footswitches.

So for example with a Mini Remote you could turn the thumbwheel and hold it, and whenever the board leans back, it’d hold it there like a balance vehicle … until you let go of the thumbwheel

Of course there are other ways it could happen, but that’s the most logical to me

1 Like

You can use an intenral or external imu

No coding required

Use mobile app to change “App to use” setting to balance, pop your wheelie, change it back to ppm, and ride into the sunset.

2 Likes

Hm, I do have some bluetooth modules laying around somewhere, Havnt used the vesc app in a good while.

I went into the “balance app” in vesctool(PC) and I have no clue what parameters does what, I might be overcomplicating things, but a setup manual/instruction video of some brief explaining would prob do it for me. Maybe there is one already that I’m unaware of?

1 Like

I guess it’s this tutorial series:

I had no idea vesc tool had a balance app implemented! :exploding_head:

3 Likes

There still needs to be code that triggers balance mode when the imu measures an angle greater than x° so you can pop a wheelie and hold it in one smooth motion.:sunglasses:

That setting already exists, but in that mode the regular throttle wouldn’t work when the nose was on the ground.

2 Likes

so it needs a dead mans switch on the remote?

to know when you want the remote to work

I’m pretty sure this setting would control how high you need to lift the nose before it grabs it from your control.

However, like @NuRxG said, you’d need to manually change the control app to switch between balance and “PPM” applications. I feel like that’s the issue we need to address.

2 Likes

my thoughts on this after watching the whole playlist is to calibrate the gyro at the attitude you wish to ride the wheelie, and then tune the startup pitch angle from there.

one wonders if the remote works when the board is outside the activate balance parameters…

one wonders if that could easily be added to the code?

1 Like

@RomainOnWheels dude let’s revive this! I have a very torque-y board that would be great for this project. I’m telling you there are a lot of people that would love to be able to show off an infinite wheelie, starting with me.

2 Likes

it’s built into VESC tool now?

I just wanna be able to ride my trampa around town like normal, then pop a wheelie at a stop light and hold that for a bit… but the hard part I would guess is getting down from the wheelie and into “normal mode” again.

1 Like

you would just let off the switch and it would fall down, idk how to switch modes however.

@NuRxG

info here is lackin

or I guess the throttle would just start working again once switch activating self balancing is no longer pressed.

I was wondering if there was a way where it locks on at a certain angle into wheelie mode, but then allows you to force the nose down to the ground and it goes back into normal mode without accelerating super hard to try to balance out the nose drop.

2 Likes

I’m sure you can set the exact angle for riding/activation but you would want the button unpressing for deactivating without doing a full acceleration.

1 Like

A mode for manuals makes me sad…

4 Likes

haha like we needed to look more like wussies with our superpowered brakes and tons of safety gear.

1 Like

I’ve yet to see a set of instructions for how to mod a build to have this feature. But good to know it’s been added