Wheelie/Manual mode for a skateboard

something like this :point_up_2:t4: :arrow_up: :arrow_up: :point_up_2:t4:may inspire me to look more closely at the Mini!

2 Likes

That’s a solution that requires hardware separate from the VESC though due its only having one PWM input :sob:

@Trampa maybe you can breakout another PWM (“PPM”) input, even if there isn’t a header for it, but it could be soldered to if needed :smirk:

2 Likes

even the dreaded Nano Remote V2 has a second channel…
Hmmmm how to make this work…

1 Like

Hmmm
@blezalex has his balance board operating on PWM, how much harder is it to code a switch into channel 2 to switch from his break-out board (balance) to channel 1 PWM input to remote???

1 Like

You could just modify the breakout board to do all that.

1 Like

yes… I feel it can be done…

but when you say YOU, I am presently unable to code it or figure out how (electronically st00pid)… I need someone who is technically capable of knowing how electrons flow, magic smoke stays put, and PCB and electrical components function… and one of those beloved geeks that could code it!

I just wanna sk8 and wheelie off into the sunset…

3 Likes

Something like:

If incline > x && full_break -> keep incline.

Given this might show a problem if you full break in a steep uphill… but I really cant remember doing that… ever

3 Likes

That’s a good idea.

hmm this seems like the perfect reason to convert the bustin yoface to vesc :thinking:

2 Likes

Exactly… I’ve had my hands on your yoface a few times. Fun. But really needs a vesc… And wheelie compatibility.

3 Likes

fun indeed, I need more thane on it though, I wonder if Carvon v4 xl on Superfly would be overkill :thinking:

4 Likes

I want to try this mode on a mountain board with bindings. It would be crazy fun.

1 Like

Another possible solution that may be compatible with existing hardware: add functionality to trigger an app mode switch via can bus or UART. That way a third party module could read the 2nd remote channel and use it to switch between regular and wheelie modes…

That can already happen now with the proper software. The idea was to not need a second PCB.

I can’t count the number of times I wish @Trampa would add a second PWM (“PPM”) channel. I’d buy a real VESC brand controller if it had that :slight_smile:

And I would promptly start converting a skate into one of these :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just modify the firmware to add support for PPM, and then get a little PWM to PPM multiplexer box or a PPM remote. No need to redesign the hardware.

1 Like

is it possible to expand velostat support to four wheelers? it would be nice for my board to come to a stop when i fall on my ass, rather than continuing to roll through an intersection full of traffic. when i go down hard i don’t have the presence of mind to apply the brakes

2 Likes

That would be nice in conjunction with a TTL system that alerts you when it does not detect you.

I’m guessing you have the brake current low enough so it doesn’t throw you off if it goes off unexpectedly but strong enough to slow itself reasonably fast.

Anything is possible :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The remote has PWM (“PPM”), two channels of it. I have those already. The idea is I want to be able to read two channels and not only one channel. Then a simple firmware patch can add this feature to any device that has both PWM inputs and the IMU populated.

Needing a second device besides the VESC is so 2019… … but only if @Trampa adds another input.

1 Like

What @NuRxG is saying is that both channels could be fed into a single input on the vesc saving on wiring and inputs.

Most rc receivers that transmit multiple channels actually transmit a PPM pulse train on one frequency which the receiver splits back into separate channels. Using this single channel PPM stream to control up to ~8 RC channels is fairly common in on drones.

On many receivers its possible to patch into the un-split PPM signal so no additional hardware is needed. If not you can usually just “&” the 2 different channel signals together so the hardware to combine 2 outputs back into a pulse train is just 2 diodes. not actually sure if this is true

4 Likes